Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #1

Share |

Lcd versus Plasma

Which do you prefer and why? We have been told the lcd may be subject to leaking in a couple of years. Comments?

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Electrician

Lcd versus Plasma

Both have pros and cons, but one is definitely not better than the other...

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:28 PM   #3

Lcd versus Plasma

I believe that the life expectancy with the LCD will be longer. The Plasma sets have a problem with screen burn-in. If you leave a stationary image on the screen for prolonged periods of time, this image will be burned into the screen, which can NOT be repaired. Also, the warranties do not cover this.

What ever you decide to purchase, make sure you first, buy a set (brand name) where there is a factory authorized service center located in the same area you live. If the set fails in warranty, YOU would have to pay the shipping there and back to the factory, if there is not a local service center. And second, buy an extended warranty. Also, buy a warranty that will cover the replacment of the set, if it can not be repaired. We are having a difficult time trying to locate parts for some of these sets. They are being made in China, and NO parts are avaliable. This way, if parts can not be found, you'll get another set.

Both types of sets have complete assemblies that must be replaced when defective. Used to be, I would replace the bad part, and the set would be repaired. Now, there usually are not parts avaliable, only the boards. When you have to replace an entire assembly, it can get expensive.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #4

Lcd versus Plasma

I have a computer lcd monitor from 1999, it runs 24/7 and hasn't leaked...

The ASSUMED better choice depends on the exact application...However it won't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Either is going to be a crap shoot as far as reliablity/longetivey, you're basically getting either a FORD or a CHEVY. If you move a lot or plan on moving the tv from room to room time to time, get a LCD as a plasma will needs to be serviced if tilted.

If you plan on keeping this tv for five years or more, I'd say buy the largest 1080p tv you can afford. Make sure you get the longest warranty available. Sams club/costos/bjs typically have warranty plans at half the cost of the major retailers. I'd look their first.
Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #5

Lcd versus Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Which do you prefer and why? We have been told the lcd may be subject to leaking in a couple of years. Comments?

How about "My preference depends on the aplication"?

Each one is fine (Chris75 is correct)

1. Neither LCD or Plasma will leak. That's a laughable joke/rumor.

2. Neither LCD or Plasma will suffer from "burn in". First generation units could/would, but those days are gone.

3. Both are repairable. But repair is primarily modular these days.

"If you move a lot or plan on moving the tv from room to room time to time, get a LCD as a plasma will needs to be serviced if tilted."

This is so very wrong....

"If you plan on keeping this tv for five years or more, I'd say buy the largest 1080p tv you can afford."

Buying a 1080P flat panel is utterly useless for anything other than a HD-DVD or BluRay DVD. ALL other sources will be at 720p/1080i formats.

"Make sure you get the longest warranty available. Sams club/costos/bjs typically have warranty plans at half the cost of the major retailers. I'd look their first."

While I agree with buying a unit that has a longer warranty. I do not agreee with buying any additional warranty. And for what it's worth Sam's Club and Costco sell past year models (other than VIZIO which has a terrible reputation).

Controlled light? Buy LCD.

Uncontrolled light? Buy PDP.

And for sure buy a brand name! Panasonic, LG, Sony, Toshiba, JVC, etc, etc.

Buy one of those cheap Chinese units and you really are gambling.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
newer than a newbie...

Lcd versus Plasma

I bought an LCD TV 2 years ago and it has been working quite well.

The reason I bought LCD over Plasma is that I was told by the salesperson that Plasma used a lot more energy than LCD. LCD apparently is the more efficient energy technology and generally speaking, pixel burns tend to occur less often in LCDs.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I believe it is the case as there is not too much heat from the LCD TVs.
mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #7

Lcd versus Plasma

I agree with Ktkelly on many points, but not all. As far as "burn-in" on the newer plasma sets, I have seen them, still under manufacturers warranty (1 year or less) with burn-in on the screens. I can not deny what I have seen. I understand that the sets can be repaired IF you can find the parts. I also see times when parts can NOT be obtained, which means the set can not be repaired. As far as the plasma sets go, I have seen many multiple board failures on the plasma sets, and without the extended warranty, the parts alone would have been over $1,000. Not including the labor. The Plasma sets burn considerably more power, compared to LCD sets. However, I believe the best picture between the two would have to be the plasma, although the LCD sets have recently made some strong improvements.

That being said, this does NOT mean that all LCD and Plasma sets are going to give you problems. Some of these sets have been around for a number of years, and have given no problems at all. I also am not in favor of buying an extended warrany on all TVs, just the more expensive HD sets.

I totally agree, that the cheap Chinese junk, that has flooded the market are the ones to stay away from. You get what you pay for.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #8

Lcd versus Plasma

Burn in is reduced, but not eliminated for Plasma Sets... the brightness and "blacks" on a plasma are awesome, but with LCDs getting up past 42", the price point is hard to beat....

I'm still a firm believer of seeing the product so you can judge for yourself with the sets side by side showing the same source video... I think the tech specs are simply a guide for the average consumer... keep in mind that most stores never tune the sets... they just take them out of the box and plug them in. SO things like color and contrast aren't adjusted yet. But things like refresh rates, macro blocking from rapid motion, etc. should will show up...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:12 AM   #9

Lcd versus Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
"If you move a lot or plan on moving the tv from room to room time to time, get a LCD as a plasma will needs to be serviced if tilted."

This is so very wrong....
Please explain. I guess "tilt" wasn't the best choice of words, but if a plasma tips over it will need to be serviced. I have a friend who constantly moves a 32" lcd to his hot tub on a covered patio to his dining room. I wouldn't recommend he got a plasma due to the increased risk. That was what I was getting at.

Quote:
How about "My preference depends on the aplication"?

"If you plan on keeping this tv for five years or more, I'd say buy the largest 1080p tv you can afford."

Buying a 1080P flat panel is utterly useless for anything other than a HD-DVD or BluRay DVD. ALL other sources will be at 720p/1080i formats.
I do understand where you are coming from, this is a difference of opinion. Along with PS3 you are talking TODAY, that's why I said five years from now. The question is if and when incoming hdtv goes to 1080p. Will it be cable or satellite and if you have the other service will you convert? While no matter what, a tv will depreciate, a 1080p will be worth a lot more five years from now then a potential "antique" 720p. Add to the equation that the OP wanted a TV to last ten years, the scale further tips to 1080p.

Quote:
"Make sure you get the longest warranty available. Sams club/costos/bjs typically have warranty plans at half the cost of the major retailers. I'd look their first."

While I agree with buying a unit that has a longer warranty. I do not agreee with buying any additional warranty. And for what it's worth Sam's Club and Costco sell past year models (other than VIZIO which has a terrible reputation).
There is no unit with a longer warranty. 1 year is the industry standard, that's a fact if you go the typical stores best buy/circuit city/sears. Again if the OP is planning on keeping the unit for several years I think an extended warranty is worth the money.

Quote:
And for sure buy a brand name! Panasonic, LG, Sony, Toshiba, JVC, etc, etc.

Buy one of those cheap Chinese units and you really are gambling.
Again all your recommended brands have a one year warranty, that's a fact. In my opinion, I think a positive reviewed Chinese brand with a long warranty is a better choice then a sony IF cost is a factor and it can save you save several hundred. Research w/positive reviews is the key.

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 11-26-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #10

Lcd versus Plasma

The problem is, I am unaware of ANY Chinese televisions getting any kind of good reviews. Basically, you get what you pay for. If you can not get the parts, what good is it.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #11

Lcd versus Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakker View Post
Burn in is reduced, but not eliminated for Plasma Sets... the brightness and "blacks" on a plasma are awesome, but with LCDs getting up past 42", the price point is hard to beat....

I'm still a firm believer of seeing the product so you can judge for yourself with the sets side by side showing the same source video... I think the tech specs are simply a guide for the average consumer... keep in mind that most stores never tune the sets... they just take them out of the box and plug them in. SO things like color and contrast aren't adjusted yet. But things like refresh rates, macro blocking from rapid motion, etc. should will show up...
Yep these are the things i considered before my wife purchased me a lcd. Price was a factor. I did a bit of camparison online before deciding on the lcd. I purchased the longer extended warrantee. So i will let you all know how it works out.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #12

Lcd versus Plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi 151 View Post
Please explain. I guess "tilt" wasn't the best choice of words, but if a plasma tips over it will need to be serviced. I have a friend who constantly moves a 32" lcd to his hot tub on a covered patio to his dining room. I wouldn't recommend he got a plasma due to the increased risk. That was what I was getting at.
Other than the PDP having a bit more weight, there's no reason your freind would have any more chance of damaging a PDP over a LCD by constantly moving it.

We use motorized mounts that effectively place the panel in a position similar to it being flat with the ceiling in the custom installation business all the time. And it's always been a matter of fact that PDP's can be rotated 90 degrees in commercial applications.

Quote:
I do understand where you are coming from, this is a difference of opinion. Along with PS3 you are talking TODAY, that's why I said five years from now. The question is if and when incoming hdtv goes to 1080p. Will it be cable or satellite and if you have the other service will you convert? While no matter what, a tv will depreciate, a 1080p will be worth a lot more five years from now then a potential "antique" 720p. Add to the equation that the OP wanted a TV to last ten years, the scale further tips to 1080p.
Here's an area where everyone needs to do a bit more research. Cable, satellite and off-air HDTV will NEVER be 1080p. The required bandwidth is just too much for this to happen. Upconversion is the only way that you'll get 1080p from those sources, so having a "native" 720p is actually the smart move. And that beside the fact that at 42" to 50" you simply cannot see the difference. 1080P is great if yur display is upwards of 70+. But under that it's a shameful bunch of industry hype that you're buying into.

Read up. Google HD Guru....

Quote:
There is no unit with a longer warranty. 1 year is the industry standard, that's a fact if you go the typical stores best buy/circuit city/sears. Again if the OP is planning on keeping the unit for several years I think an extended warranty is worth the money.
While I agree that 1 year is the norm, Crosley offers a 2 year OTC exchange on all their LCD's.

Quote:
Again all your recommended brands have a one year warranty, that's a fact.
That is indeed true. But most all do. And for those that wish to waste their money, there's always that industry "cash cow" called extended warranty.

While on that topic. Don't you ever wonder why BB, CC and HH Gregg push those warranties so very, very hard? Did you know that a salesperson at those companies MUST maintain a percentage of warranty sales to keep their job?

Want to know why? Those companies make MORE money on the warranties than they do on the TV's....

Quote:
In my opinion, I think a positive reviewed Chinese brand with a long warranty is a better choice then a sony IF cost is a factor and it can save you save several hundred. Research w/positive reviews is the key.

One major problem here.

1. As has already been pointed out, there is NO Chinese brand that has a "real" positive review.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #13

Lcd versus Plasma

Quote:
Other than the PDP having a bit more weight, there's no reason your freind would have any more chance of damaging a PDP over a LCD by constantly moving it.

We use motorized mounts that effectively place the panel in a position similar to it being flat with the ceiling in the custom installation business all the time. And it's always been a matter of fact that PDP's can be rotated 90 degrees in commercial applications.

Here's an area where everyone needs to do a bit more research. Cable, satellite and off-air HDTV will NEVER be 1080p. The required bandwidth is just too much for this to happen. Upconversion is the only way that you'll get 1080p from those sources, so having a "native" 720p is actually the smart move. And that beside the fact that at 42" to 50" you simply cannot see the difference. 1080P is great if yur display is upwards of 70+. But under that it's a shameful bunch of industry hype that you're buying into.

Read up. Google HD Guru....

While I agree that 1 year is the norm, Crosley offers a 2 year OTC exchange on all their LCD's.

That is indeed true. But most all do. And for those that wish to waste their money, there's always that industry "cash cow" called extended warranty.

While on that topic. Don't you ever wonder why BB, CC and HH Gregg push those warranties so very, very hard? Did you know that a salesperson at those companies MUST maintain a percentage of warranty sales to keep their job?

Want to know why? Those companies make MORE money on the warranties than they do on the TV's....

One major problem here.

1. As has already been pointed out, there is NO Chinese brand that has a "real" positive review.
I'm military which translates to a lot of moving and losing and gaining friends due to moves on frequent basis. I have known a half dozen people who have personally had their plasma DOA after a move. We are currently briefed that in the event we want a flat panel, we should get a buy a lcd due to it being less senative to movement. Antoher fact, the military will not currently insure a plasma in an overseas move. That's because the military will only ship on boats and obviously there's a lot of moving. I have never actually looked into the exact tolerances a plasma will take.

I have seen a blu ray movie and the same movie on HD/TNT (720p cable), I noticed the difference on a 50" plasma. Perhaps I just have really good eyes.

You said in your previous post NOT to go to club-type stores...I recommended them for the very low cost warranty. I recommended against anywhere that sold an inflated warranty. One other potentially low cost option is if you have better then platium credit, you can get a signature visa credit card. Buy the tv with it and you can an extended warranty through visa. Current price is tiered by purchase price, eg: A five year warranty for a purchase price of $751-$1000 is $112.99. Five year warranty for $1501-$1999 is $189.99. To compare, I think a four year warranty by CC is $500.

Here's the visa table link:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/c...nefits_wm.html
Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #14

Lcd versus Plasma

It must be a magic truck that brings our plasmas to the shop without breaking them........ We've never had a dead plasma after moving or tilting it. How would they get to the store in the first place if they broke often after being moved or tilted? Poor packing has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
I have seen a blu ray movie and the same movie on HD/TNT (720p cable), I noticed the difference on a 50" plasma. Perhaps I just have really good eyes.
You were also probably watching with different interconnect cables, type of connection (digital vs analog), inputs, and different sources. Apples to oranges IMO. Resolution is the 4th most important stat according to most videophiles I read about.

And about burn in on plasmas... Our 2nd showroom has a couple of PDP sets. The salesman up there leaves the TVs on Fox news all day. It has that title bar at the bottom. No burn in after 2 years. I'm pretty sure any reputable brand will have pixel shift technology that virtually eliminates burn in. Now, my high school left a "analog" clock on the TVs all day and something like that would burn in because the picture is huge, simple, and constant. So if you are planning on using a plasma for a clock 22 hours a day, you will get some burn in. Otherwise, let it rip.

My preference, SED. Too bad they can't release them. SED's would have put LCD's and PDP's under in less than a year IMO. Maybe, just maybe, OLED sets will squash the LCD's and plasmas.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #15

Lcd versus Plasma

I have been in the TV repair business for over 30 years, and I have seen burn-ins on some plasma sets. And these are less than 1 year old. However, it could be the brand, and not the technology. I agree with you on the transporting of these sets. It is true, you are supposed to transport them in a upright position. Care needs to be taken with all sets, its just that on these sets, if too much pressure is put on the screen, it will crack the panel. However, some people fear that if they look at them wrong, they'll break, and this is not the case.