Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #1

Share |

LCD picture quality

Hello all I have Dish Network with a standard receiver (not a HD receiver.) I recently bought a new 47 LCD TV with HD capabilities. The picture is not as crisp as I would like it but I dont really want to upgrade to HD yet. My satellite receiver only has the RF, composite and s-video outputs; I am currently using the composite to the TV. The TV has RF, composite, component, HDMI and other connections. Here is my question is there some type of adaptor that would allow me to connect to either the component or HDMI on the TV from one of the outputs on the receiver? If I can do that, would that improve my picture? I believe Im currently viewing at 480p. Thanks

Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #2

LCD picture quality

Quote:
My satellite receiver only has the RF, composite and s-video outputs; I am currently using the composite to the TV. The TV has RF, composite, component, HDMI and other connections. Here is my question – is there some type of adaptor that would allow me to connect to either the component or HDMI on the TV from one of the outputs on the receiver? If I can do that, would that improve my picture?

There are devices that can upconvert from composite and S-video to component and HDMI. They are, in my experience, in the few-hundred dollar range. I have seen devices, also, that convert to 720 and 1080 resolution. I suspect that you would not see enough improvement (if any) to justify the cost. I view these devices only as solutions to physical interface problems, rather than picture quality issues. I suppose if you have long cables between your devices, switching to hdmi or RGBHV format may improve your picture quality a bit.

If you are close enough to terrestrial broadcasts, you can try an antenna. Picture quality for over-the-air broadcasts would be noticeably better than what you are currently getting. Of course, that would apply only to local channels. I also undersood that certain sattelite providers would upgrade your reciever, even if you don't get HD. It is worth checking if you have not done so already.

I say save your money until you can get a better dish reciever.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #3

LCD picture quality

In general standard def programing will be slightly worse on LCD / Plasma then on tube tv variations. Some model lines will be better than others though. What brand TV?

Any money spent trying to "upgrade" a standard def connection is better spent on upgrading to high def. The long exception being the HD antenna, but this will only be usable for stations, usually local, which are close enough to get a signal from.

Last edited by D-2.5-GT; 09-08-2010 at 02:18 PM.
D-2.5-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #4

LCD picture quality

Thanks for the replies. I kind of suspected that the cost/benefit of an adaptor may not pencil out. I have thought about the antenna for local channels but we live in the country with a hill between us and the towers. Unfortunately a receiver upgrade will cost me 100 bucks per receiver with a 100 dollar service visit I'll either bite the finacial bullet or live with the sub-quality picture. I guess if you're going to buy a fancy HDTV you've got to be prepared to go all the way.
Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #5

LCD picture quality

Quote:
Unfortunately a receiver upgrade will cost me 100 bucks per receiver with a 100 dollar service visit
Sounds like it is time to investigate direct TV. A little competition can be a good thing.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #6

LCD picture quality

Most of the dish channels will come out better with the S-video connection, a few will look better with the composite connection. The different is probably not going to be very great. Channels that came down from the dish as digital data will probably look better with the S-video connection. Channels that came down as analog will probably look better with the composite connection. Unfortunately it is not easy to tell which channels came down as what.

If you want to do this you would need to use two inputs on the back of the TV, one with yellow/red/white jacks and the other with S-video and its own set of red/white hacks. You would need to switch back and forth between Video 1 and Video 2 or whatever they are called on your TV.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-08-2010 at 07:03 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
Jack E (09-09-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #7

LCD picture quality

As already mentioned, the new flat-panel sets are made for HD. Their picture quality will not be all that good in 480 (standard def.) The only way you are going to get the picture good and crisp is to upgrade to an HD sat. system. Also, as stated before me, some sets will get a better 480 picture than others. However, still not as good as with a 480 (standard def) set.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #8

LCD picture quality

The difference between composite video and s-video are not enough to bother with s-video.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #9

LCD picture quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The difference between composite video and s-video are not enough to bother with s-video.
I beg to differ. Except if the video had been composite at any earlier time during the production or transmission process then converting it to S-video or converting it back to S-video would produce very little improvement.

Sources that begins their life as S-video are primarily analog video tapes from camcorders. Folks using that format are fewer and fewer these days. While some DVD players have just S-video and composite output, DVD is fundamentally (natively) the more superior component video.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-03-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #10

LCD picture quality

Quote:
DVD is fundamentally (natively) the more superior component video.
While a technicality, I don't believe DVD is "natively" component video. DVD information is digital. Component is analog. Perhaps I am getting too picky?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #11

LCD picture quality

I think I ran out of words in a vocabulary sense and would have to use multi-word combinations (phrases) to describe the formats.

The data on DVD is sometimes described using the term Y/Cb/Cr and represents three subchannels. It can be converted to VGA or to (analog) component video aka Y/Pb/Pr, also 3 subchannels, with essentially no loss. It can be converted to an HDMI video signal with no loss. Conversion to S-video (called downconversion but actually an upconversion in terms of signal complexity and analog frequency representation) has an unavoidable noticeably loss of color sharpness.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-03-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #12

LCD picture quality

Thank you for the clarification.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #13

LCD picture quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ
I beg to differ. Except if the video had been composite at any earlier time during the production or transmission process then converting it to S-video or converting it back to S-video would produce very little improvement.

Sources that begins their life as S-video are primarily analog video tapes from camcorders. Folks using that format are fewer and fewer these days. While some DVD players have just S-video and composite output, DVD is fundamentally (natively) the more superior component video.
Technically speaking the S-video signal is better since it's encoded using two channels instead of one. I just don't think the difference is that much.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #14

LCD picture quality

Yes they make external devices that you plug the S-video or composite video source into and out comes component video and/or HDMI.

But every flat panel TV has that functionality built in, converting everything to HDMI or a similar digital form. Just a few years ago, the aforementioned external devices on average did a much better job of conversion but today the functionality inside the TV satisfies most people and in a few cases is the same circuitry found in some of the external devices. CRT (tube) TV's including those with HDMI inputs convert everything to component video or a similar analog form.

Some A/V receivers have this functionality built in, too, permitting one HDMI cable out to the TV for everything. Without this functionality, composite source plugged in can only come back out as composite out or monitor out to the TV's Video 1; S-video plugged in can only come back out as S-video out to the TV's Video 2, etc.

Companies that make (made) these external devices include DVDO, Lumagen, and (formerly) Faroudja.

While (analog) component video is called Y/Pb/Pr, S-video is also called Y/C and the Y channel can be identical to that of component video. Y represents "luminance" and by itself produces the same picture in black and white.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-04-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #15

LCD picture quality

You don't have to connect the video cables to the receiver provided that you have enough input jacks including HDMI jacks in back of the TV, and the DVD player, etc. are close enough to run individual video cables directly to the TV.