Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
newer than a newbie...

Share |

large outdoor antenna

HI THere.

We have just bought a new home (older home of the late 60s) that has a very tall tv antenna outside the house. It's about 30 feet tall.

I figure that instead of spending $50+ for cable, since I don't watch a lot of tv, I could cancel and switch to antenna.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would need to run a cable directly from the top of the antenna to my tv? or does the antenna (the fact that it's grounded on my property) itself automatically ground to something metal inside?

How would I hook this up to my tv/multiple tvs?

Your input would be much appreciated!

mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #2

large outdoor antenna

Don't do it! All TV stations will stop broadcasting analog signals at midnight on Feb. 17 2009, so after that you'll have nothing to watch but snow.

Check this website for more info: http://www.dtv2009.gov/

Old 03-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Electrician

large outdoor antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfischer View Post
Don't do it! All TV stations will stop broadcasting analog signals at midnight on Feb. 17 2009, so after that you'll have nothing to watch but snow.

Check this website for more info: http://www.dtv2009.gov/

You do realize you get free High Def with an antenna, I love mine and best part is its free....
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #4

large outdoor antenna

If there is not a coax running from that antenna you will have to add one.

And if that antenna is a "yagi" it's not going to serve your purposes for very long since it's UHF section is probably very small.

You can replace that antenna with a Winegard SS2000 which should bring in those HDTV channels depending on your location (it's a amplified version you can split the coax and feed more than one HDTV).

Note 1: If you do not have newer HDTV's with onboard ATSC tuners, you will need a down conversion box for each non ATSC TV (available soon, if not now).

Note 2: You will receive a HIGHER resolution picture from this anteena than if you use either cable OR satellite.

There are many here that will give you some seriously wrong advice on this matter. Nothing more dangerous than a DIY that gives out wrong info.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

large outdoor antenna

You do realize, that the OP, just needs to correct the wiring on the one that he has most likely, and if needed, can add an amp. Besides, if anything, who wants to climb up a mast, or pay to have someone do it for you, when most companies have Basic CATV service for under $20.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #6

large outdoor antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
If there is not a coax running from that antenna you will have to add one.

And if that antenna is a "yagi" it's not going to serve your purposes for very long since it's UHF section is probably very small.

You can replace that antenna with a Winegard SS2000 which should bring in those HDTV channels depending on your location (it's a amplified version you can split the coax and feed more than one HDTV).

Note 1: If you do not have newer HDTV's with onboard ATSC tuners, you will need a down conversion box for each non ATSC TV (available soon, if not now).

Note 2: You will receive a HIGHER resolution picture from this anteena than if you use either cable OR satellite.

There are many here that will give you some seriously wrong advice on this matter. Nothing more dangerous than a DIY that gives out wrong info.
What is the OTA resolution compared to cable/satellite? I thought all three supported 1080i/720p.

Last edited by jerryh3; 03-30-2008 at 08:58 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

large outdoor antenna

ATSC-HD is what you are thinking about. NTSC can send 1080i/720p, but would eat up a lot of Bandwidth Spectrum. ATSC-SD is just 480i, not High Definition.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #8

large outdoor antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
What is the OTA resolution compared to cable/satellite? It thought all three supported 1080i/720p.

Both cable and satellite companies use a compression method so the resolution is NOT a full 720/1080 signal. Close but no cigar....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_Standards

FWIW:

A NTSC (analog) tuner will not receive and decode digital signal.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
Electrician

large outdoor antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You do realize, that the OP, just needs to correct the wiring on the one that he has most likely, and if needed, can add an amp. Besides, if anything, who wants to climb up a mast, or pay to have someone do it for you, when most companies have Basic CATV service for under $20.
Why pay 20 bucks every month when you can get tv for free?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
newer than a newbie...

large outdoor antenna

Hi All.

I was the original poster to this thread and now the antenna is hooked up!

Basically, I realized that the previous owner taped over the 2 cables that come down from the antenna that is very very tall. One is the cable wire and one appears to be a grounding cable? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways, I hooked it into a line that feeds into my bedroom and voila! I have at least 20 channels that are either crystal clear or decently clear. As another poster said "Why pay for it when it's free?"

I am in Canada and I am not even sure if the Feb 2009 elimination of analogue lines applies. I do get some US channels, but most of the prime time programs are simulcasted on the US/Canadian channels anyways, so that's not a problem for me.

As for the grounding cable that is currently not hooked up to anything, can anyone recommend where I can hook it up to? Somehing metal? I am assuming its purpose is to distribute electricity to the ground in case lightning strikes the antenna.

Thanks!
mcvane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

large outdoor antenna

Ground Rod driven into the ground.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #12
Roof Cleaning Expert

large outdoor antenna

You did not say IF the other cable is a coaxial cable, twin lead, or just a wire ?
It COULD be the UHF part of your antenna ?
Some dual element one boom Yagi's used seperate feeds for UHF VHF/FM
Less Loss this way.
As for grounding, the pole going into the ground MAY serve as a ground, depending on the conductivity of your soil.
apple roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #13

large outdoor antenna

It is true that the old fashioned antennas may not be as good as the new ones for the digital transmission, but here in Tampa, many of our customers are getting great results with their old/standard antennas. We have hooked up a number of digital converter boxes, and with just a few exceptions, show a great picture with not only the only analog, but digital transmissions as well.

As far as the ground wire, if there aren't any pipes close by, I would sink a ground stake 3-4 foot down, and connect it there.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
Roof Cleaning Expert

large outdoor antenna

I live in Brandon, and ch 10 is a challenge, all snowy.
BUT, switch into hi def, perfect picture!
apple roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #15

large outdoor antenna

I hear that about channel 10. Its tough to get with rabbit ears. I just broke down and got basic cable again. For the price with the phone, unlimited long distance, and the high-speed internet connection, its costing me about $17 more a month. I originally had my cable disconnected back in 92. The $24 was getting to be too much!

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote