Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
i carved this sword

Share |

im looking at hanging a tv in my basement bedroom.....

im looking at hanging a tv in my basement bedroom, and where i want to put a ceiling mount is kind of a tough area, at least for me, because the exact place is between joists, and to complicate it a little more, instead of having 14.5 inches between the joists, there is only 13 inch because the joist boards are what i think my carpentry teacher(class was a looooongggg time ago) called "shaking hands", so i was thinking i need to put up something like a 2x4 on the underside(with slots so i can adjust it before cranking the big lag screws all the way), is a 2x4 strong enough for that, the tv is about 40 pounds, and i may want to add things to it like a kinect if i get one, playstation eye thingy, and in the future a wii sensor bar, and the mount itself is about 10 pounds, are there other options? would plywood be better? or osb?

feralfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #2

I'd probably use a doubled 2x4 or even better 2x6. this way you can drill a hole to mount your threaded rods or other mounting hardware without reducing the width too much (don't know what your mounting hardware will be). you may want to use joist hangers on the end based upon the width and size of your blocking. Then you know it won't go anywhere.

before hanging your tv I'd suggest hanging weight (I'd go about 75 lbs at minimum, you may add more weight than you think right now) from the 2x's to see what happens, not only with the 2x's but your existing floor as well. after all you can see what you have, we can't .......

good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
i carved this sword

by doubled up 2x4, do you mean setting them like they were joists or flat against the joists? before coming here i had thought of setting the 3.5 inch side flat agaisnt the joists but i dont know if that is strong enough to hold about 50 pounds, and it occurred to me a minute ago i should post a pic of what im looking at(i should have done this earlier but i can be fuzzybrained at times)

in the pic there is a thin slat up but that is just to hold my scrap wood, i would be taking that slat down or putting the 2x along side it, what i want is to have the center of the mount about where i have the dowel rod pointing to
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

the 3-1/2" side would be vertical, use 2 of them. run them from the side of one joist to the side of the other joists, use hanger to connect to the joists

Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
i carved this sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
the 3-1/2" side would be vertical, use 2 of them. run them from the side of one joist to the side of the other joists, use hanger to connect to the joists
can screws be used to fasten the hangers and 2x4s or do i need to use nails? i hate nailing in tight areas
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

that's up to you if you want to use screws, if you do just make sure they are wood screws, not drywall screws
you should be able to nail them

just nail the 2 2x's together. I recommend using the hangers because it won't go anywhere, and you don't have to try and get the big lag screws in

The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
feralfreak (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
i carved this sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
that's up to you if you want to use screws, if you do just make sure they are wood screws, not drywall screws
you should be able to nail them

just nail the 2 2x's together. I recommend using the hangers because it won't go anywhere, and you don't have to try and get the big lag screws in
i just checked with the maker of the mount i wanna use, and their system seems to account dummies like me, the mount has an adapter that attaches to the 2" side of the joists and allows for side to side sliding if i understand it right