Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Share |

house prewired, but no idea how to hook up

I bought a new house that was pre-wired to put speakers in the kitchen and dining room. There is a box behind the TV/stereo and one in the wall in the kitchen.

So the wires go from the box behind the stereo to the box in the kitchen (currently a blank wall plate with 3 sets of wires in the box.)

I bought a wall volume control and know what wires are coming from the stereo. I don't know how to find the loose ends of the speaker wire in the ceiling. Also, there are 2 sets of wire and I think one set is in the kitchen ceiling and one in the dining room.

Questions:
1. How do I find the wires?
2. Do I need to worry about having one speaker in the kitchen and one in the dining room? Do I need to worry about it sounding strange (stereo effect) with only one speaker in each room?
3. I heard there is something that you hook up to one end of the wire and it has a microphone on the other end that will make a noise when I find the wire, through the wall. Is this true, who might rent it. Do I need to use a stud finder to ensure that i don't cut in the wrong place? What are the common errors here?
4. I suck at stuff like this how easy is it or should a dude like me just pay someone to do it?

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by tbingama; 03-02-2009 at 08:14 PM.
tbingama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #2

do you have access to the attic, if so I would start there. Having one speaker in each room is fine sound wise as it is not considered to be theatre sound quality rather just speakers. Another option is to look at your house plans as it should be included in the electrical wiring diagrams supplied to the electrician. Or call your builder.
Hope that has helped
Cheers

fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Home Theater Guy

No offense, but it seems that you are in over your head. You will be better off finding a local installer to handle this for you. Try www.cedia.net to find someone. If you had posted your location, I might have been able to refer you to someone.
Greg C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Home Theater Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixrite View Post
do you have access to the attic, if so I would start there. Having one speaker in each room is fine sound wise as it is not considered to be theatre sound quality rather just speakers. Another option is to look at your house plans as it should be included in the electrical wiring diagrams supplied to the electrician. Or call your builder.
Hope that has helped
Cheers
It is not fine to have only one speaker in one room unless the system is designed to be mono only. Otherwise you will have John and Paul singing in the Kitchen, while George and Ringo's instruments are playing in the Dining Room, or not at all if the VC is off.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #5

Not to sound negative or anything, but have recently viewed a $900,000.00 house, wired for sound throughout it. I noticed single speaker in hall, in powder room etc. Asked why it was not stereo in every room and it was stated to me that it was considered a sound system and not surround or stereo. The theatre room had true surround sound speakers as did the living room. It was pointed out to me that if you were in the master bath (which did have 2 speakers) you would not be able to determine stereo as our ears are pointed forward and not up. I am no expert, and was only re-iterating what I had been told by that builder.

Hope I have not offended anyone.
cheers
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Home Theater Guy

No offence at all. If it was professionally done, there are 2 ways to accomplish this with 1 speaker.
1. Dual Voice Coil speaker. It is essentially 2 speakers in one. It has 2 tweeters and 1 woofer. It would have a total of 4 conductors to the speaker.
2. Mono. One regular speaker. But the output of the whole house system to that specific location is a mono signal. It would have a 2 conductor to the speaker.
We do this in long hallways for example.
My aim is to inform you so you can make the correct choice for yourself.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #7

thanks for the specifics on that as it did sound somewhat odd at the time but took the builders word on it

cheers
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Zack Morriss

I would stick with a dual voice coil speaker. If you are wired for one. you will have to have two sets of speaker wire running to the speaker for a dual voice speaker to work. i.e. 2 lefts and 2 rights. As far a finding the speaker wire in the ceiling you will need to buy a tone generator. You can get them online or at home depot, lowes. They usually cost around $100 retail.

Once you find the speaker wire in the ceiling, you will then use the stud finder to locate the studs on either side of the wire in the ceiling. You should be able to look at the ceiling and get an idea of the position of the speakers. Usually speakers will be wired to the center of both sides of the room. Mark your studs with tape so you dont lose them. Most inceiling speakers come with a pattern used to cut out the hole, if you have no pattern use the grill to trace around. Take your patern and measure off of the wall keeping in mind that the other speaker will have to match of you are putting 2 speakers in one room. Once you have your speaker where you want it trace around the pattern and cut out the hole. Find the speaker wire by feeling around in the ceiling. Install your speaker and your done.

If that sounds like too much work then I would call a company to come and install.
Volume control will mount easily in the wall plate, use the tone generator to make sure you have the correct wires connected. Some volue controls have settings for mono, or 2,4,8. Russound is an example. I would go ahead and put both speakers in each room. Save the trouble of worrying about line level output. I would complete the job as it was inteded to be, according to the wiring.

MorrissMediaSys is offline   Reply With Quote