Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Home Theatre Setup - Questions

Disclaimer: I am sure I will have many more questions than the ones below so please bear with me.

Alright, moved into the new house and I am very anxious to get my system up and running. It's nothing great but I enjoy it. 42" panny plasma, Kenwood VR-509 Receiver (no hdmi but that's fine), 5.1 Sony speakers (small but they sound great, 100 watts each I believe), also have a 360, PS3 and HD PVR Box.

My first obstacle is going to be speaker placement and how to hide speaker wire. The room is very open so I am not sure about the acoustics as well. I will try to take pictures this even or draw up a diagram of the room layout for viewing purposes.

I have always had my 3 front speakers placed on the shelf of my TV rack. After doing some research, it seems that these speakers should be ear level when sitting therefore, they seem a little low. I have two matching speaker stands I can use for the L/R speakers but not sure how I can rig the center speaker up to the same height.

For the left rear speaker (right rear speaker should be fine, I am not sure how to properly hide the speaker wire. Again, kind of hard to describe so I will wait for the pictures/drawing. However, is it acceptable to have the rear speakers not parallel say by 6-8"?

Where is good place to buy speaker wire? My current wire was fine but will be much to short now.

That's all for now but will have many more questions in the future.

PS. Running the wire through walls or ceiling isn't really an option. I am open to drilling a small hole by the baseboard and fishing the wire up to where the speaker placement is, but running the wire lengthwise from the receiver to the rear speakers via walls/ceiling is not feasible.

The main room is 24x12, however, there is also an adjoining room with a half wall. That room is 18x12. Not sure how that would affect acoustics but thought I would include it

Last edited by elementz; 02-03-2010 at 02:07 PM.
elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

Home Theatre Setup - Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementz View Post
Disclaimer: I am sure I will have many more questions than the ones below so please bear with me.

Alright, moved into the new house and I am very anxious to get my system up and running. It's nothing great but I enjoy it. 42" panny plasma, Kenwood VR-509 Receiver (no hdmi but that's fine), 5.1 Sony speakers (small but they sound great, 100 watts each I believe), also have a 360, PS3 and HD PVR Box.

Nice, but you will probably only hear 5-20 true watts. Ratings are always fudged for marketing. HDMI - the only REAL advantage I can see to running a video signal through an audio receiver is the input switching and generally most TV's have limited inputs. I have to mix and match components anyway, and a straight signal to audio and to video is best in my book. I don't always run surround and the TV sound image is fine for low-level.

My first obstacle is going to be speaker placement and how to hide speaker wire. The room is very open so I am not sure about the acoustics as well. I will try to take pictures this even or draw up a diagram of the room layout for viewing purposes.

Clap your hands all around the room. This may take hours. Wherever there is an echo is where you need to put a dead panel (canvas painting, decorative rug, whatever). Hopefully the room has carpet.

I have always had my 3 front speakers placed on the shelf of my TV rack. After doing some research, it seems that these speakers should be ear level when sitting therefore, they seem a little low. I have two matching speaker stands I can use for the L/R speakers but not sure how I can rig the center speaker up to the same height.

This is a RECOMMENDATION and a standard for high-end equipment. It is dependent on speaker design also. Not sure of the model of speakers, but the small Sony types are designed to be placed wherever (on/off-axis) to get you by until you decide to upgrade. I had my 3 Kenwoods right on top of my flat screen for a long time until I built audiophile speakers. The center should be top or bottom if not in the center of the screen, whichever sounds best to your ear. The sides should be at or just below ear level, depending on speaker design, room, and reflections.

For the left rear speaker (right rear speaker should be fine, I am not sure how to properly hide the speaker wire. Again, kind of hard to describe so I will wait for the pictures/drawing. However, is it acceptable to have the rear speakers not parallel say by 6-8"?

Hide the wire under the carpet. I use Cat5E 4pair for my surrounds. Surrounds should be at the same level, but it's up to your ears. I use the whole room and adjust the speaker levels and delay accordingly. You can buy a meter, but ultimately it comes down to your ears.

Where is good place to buy speaker wire? My current wire was fine but will be much to short now.

Anywhere that sells quality wire for a reasonable price. Don't buy into Monster Cable, or the like - you are paying extra for a name. There are those that will nitpick, but if there is any difference in quality between the name brands and ordinary copper you won't hear it with your setup.

That's all for now but will have many more questions in the future.

PS. Running the wire through walls or ceiling isn't really an option. I am open to drilling a small hole by the baseboard and fishing the wire up to where the speaker placement is, but running the wire lengthwise from the receiver to the rear speakers via walls/ceiling is not feasible.

Under the carpet. Or install baseboards/crown molding that you can run wires and even theatre ropelights in.

The main room is 24x12, however, there is also an adjoining room with a half wall. That room is 18x12. Not sure how that would affect acoustics but thought I would include it

Depends on your room layout/setup. Deaden the wall just in case. The adjoining room probably won't matter.
Lots of experimenting to do. The more care you put into it the better the results. I'd need to see the layout to go any further, but I'm sure you have the basic idea.

PS -The subwoofer should go in the front stage, near a solid wall preferably. The closer to a corner, the "boomier" it will sound. You should also deaden bass reflections - do a search on bass traps.