Hiding Equipment For Wall Mount LCD - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hiding equipment for wall mount LCD

Hi, I will be mounting an LCD television on a wall. I can not place equipment behind the wall and I would like to not have any shelves either. The closest cabinet is at least 15 feet away (probably 20 to 25 feet of cables).

What options do I have to hide the equipment (HD Sat and HD DVD player only).

Thanks

Advertisement

themode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Well, you've limited your options already. I assume that your concerned mainly with video feed right now and your audio is taken care of already? Or you're going to use the LCD audio?

Some more information on what you're specifically trying to accomplish might help. If you're going HDMI, you can go pretty long distances without dropoff. Monoprice.com has really good prices on HDMI cables.

Advertisement

perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

More details would help....but here's what I'm doing (assuming you have wall access):

I'm running smurf tube from the equipment location to a low voltage j-box mounted behind the tv. This will allow current cable feeding and future. Also run a piece of Cat5e cable for IR controls so you can mount a pickup near the tv to control the equipment in the remote cabinet.
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #4

Hi, since this is not my primary television I will simply be using the LCD speakers for sound. What I'm understanding from the above replies is that I can place my equipement away from my television and still obtain a HD signal with HDMI cables.

- Would that also be true for component cables?
- Would sound be affected with running long RCA cables?
- What device would you recommend for use with the CAT5e cable for remote controls?
- (silly question coming) Is there any other way to hide the devices on a wall?

Thank-you for your replies.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #5

There's plastic channels that you can run the wires in and paint them to match. I'm thinking that some other people would have more input on brands and stuff than I would. Long RCA cables should be ok for sound, but you'd probably want to upgrade to better ones than the thin dental-floss kind. I used to run fairly long RCA cables in my car when I was into car audio, so I'd run 20' cables from the dash around the edge of the car and into the trunk.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,524

Rapidrun (http://www.rapidrun.com) for the video connections from the boxes to the TV, and use a RF or IR remote. You are talking about increasing your budget for a setup that is not very clearly seen, due to you also have to figure in Fire detection, cooling of the equipment, and the extras such as the Remote setup, and wiring for the equipment cabinet.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

http://www.hometech.com/learn/ir.html

info on IR systems
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
If you're going HDMI, you can go pretty long distances without dropoff.
Wrong. HDMI is very distance limited unless you use something like a Gefen HDMI extender.

Quote:
Monoprice.com has really good prices on HDMI cables.
Great prices for a lousy product. If you want reliable HDMI performance you want cables that are certified (Monoprice cables are not).

Rather than running cat5e for IR a good RF remote would be a great option.

A URC RF20/MRF100B would probably get the job done in this case.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #9

Spoken like a true shareholder for Monster Cables.

HDMI technology has been designed to use standard copper cable construction at long lengths. In order to allow cable manufacturers to improve their products through the use of new technologies, HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. As semiconductor technology improves, even longer stretches can be reached with fiber optic cables, and with active cable technologies such as amplifiers or repeaters.

While you can also argue that you need "certified" cables, I don't think paying more than $20 for a standard cable makes sense, unless you're talking about a lengthy cable run.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #10

Hi, very interesting information being provided. I thank you all. What concerns me is that the cables that are being suggested such as rapidrun and Gefen would cost more than 50% of my existing hardware. Has anyone tried running 20 to 25 feet using "uncertified" cables such as the ones from Monoprice?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
Wrong. HDMI is very distance limited unless you use something like a Gefen HDMI extender.

Great prices for a lousy product. If you want reliable HDMI performance you want cables that are certified (Monoprice cables are not).

Rather than running cat5e for IR a good RF remote would be a great option.

A URC RF20/MRF100B would probably get the job done in this case.
Certified by who/what?

Last edited by jerryh3; 01-30-2008 at 03:22 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Certified by who/what?
Without going into great detail I'm pasting a couple clips from "the" authority on HDMI cables replied to questions about Monoprice HDMI cables (in a training session for professional installers):

Monoprice claims that they are HDMI certified (I once asked for their ATSC paper, never saw it).

I do know that the cost of the HDMI terminal license, transportation and port fees are about the same as the price that they the cables sell for.

And this:

"HDMI Spec 1.2a"

"HDMI Device 1.3 Compatible"

I guess it'll work with a 1.3 unit but won't pass anything higher than 1.2a. that's a big trade off for what? Maybe $200?

The bottom line is that if you want reliability you do not buy based on price, but rather quality.

And no, I do not sell Monster Cable. Nor do I own stock in said company.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
The bottom line is that if you want reliability you do not buy based on price, but rather quality.
Words to live by on most things! I was just saying that there's plenty of people on avsforum.com that have monoprice cables and for the most part, I hear positive things about them. Like I mentioned before, if I was going to do a 20 foot plus run, I'd be more concerned about the quality. People will argue that since the signal is digital, either it'll work or it won't since it's either a 1 or a 0 being passed, but I don't exactly buy that theory either.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post
Words to live by on most things! I was just saying that there's plenty of people on avsforum.com that have monoprice cables and for the most part, I hear positive things about them.
Ah yes. AVS forums where all the DIY'ers proclaim their "in depth" knowledge of all things AV. Regardless of the fact that they are not now, nor have ever been, in the business on a professional level.

Seeking good audio/video advice on AVS forums is akin to asking a plumber how to install your electrical wiring or a electrician how to install your plumbing.

Quote:
Like I mentioned before, if I was going to do a 20 foot plus run, I'd be more concerned about the quality. People will argue that since the signal is digital, either it'll work or it won't since it's either a 1 or a 0 being passed, but I don't exactly buy that theory either.
I like to explain it this way:

Some of those 1's and 0's are wider than others (bandwith).....
Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #15

To each their own

For what it's worth, here's the Monster Cable in 25'

25 ft. length - 7.62 m. $299.95 ea.

Advertisement

Last edited by perpetual98; 01-30-2008 at 11:59 PM.