Help With InWall Power Kit For Wall Mounted TV - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 02:19 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


How do I do an in-wall cable routing job for a wall-mounted TV if there are horizontal studs in the route I want to take? I bought a Legrand CMK70 kit, which comes with a circular saw to cut two holes and an AC power kit to go between the top and bottom.

I thought it would be easy using this kit but I didn't anticipate there being horizontal studs in the route and I'm not sure if it's expected that I cut into the horizontal stud, or somehow route around it.

Any help is kindly welcomed!

Advertisement

wilchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 609
Rewards Points: 684
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


D'Versibit if the distance from where you cut your holes is too far for a regular bit to reach.

Otherwise, you'll need to cut and patch the rock...

Advertisement

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,988
Rewards Points: 3,096
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


Take the baseboard off and run the cable under the baseboard. Pop a hole in the drywall just under the tv, no higher than the height of the baseboard. You may run into the bottom stud plate which will require a bit of drilling. Pop a bigger hole behind the tv (in line with the lower hole) and run a fish tape up from the bottom. With A LOT of patience the fish tape will eventually hit the upper hole that you did. Attach a heavy string to the fish tape and pull it down. Tie the cable to the string and gently pull it up. Pop the baseboard back on.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Take the baseboard off and run the cable under the baseboard. Pop a hole in the drywall just under the tv, no higher than the height of the baseboard. You may run into the bottom stud plate which will require a bit of drilling. Pop a bigger hole behind the tv (in line with the lower hole) and run a fish tape up from the bottom. With A LOT of patience the fish tape will eventually hit the upper hole that you did. Attach a heavy string to the fish tape and pull it down. Tie the cable to the string and gently pull it up. Pop the baseboard back on.
I think that might not be possible because I appear to have a fireblock right above the normal outlets, which is just perfect positioning right?

Should I cut open the drywall to use the aforementioned flexible drill bit to cut into the fireblock? I figure there are lots of regulations that dictate how to properly do it so I don't negate the effect of the fire block, but I'm just a beginner after all.

Also, would the flexible drill bit be large enough to take an ac connector through? The kit has some sort of fire compliant extension cord that runs in the wall and the head of that would have to go through the fire block I think.

Thanks for the replies!
wilchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,988
Rewards Points: 3,096
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilchang View Post
I think that might not be possible because I appear to have a fireblock right above the normal outlets, which is just perfect positioning right?

Should I cut open the drywall to use the aforementioned flexible drill bit to cut into the fireblock? I figure there are lots of regulations that dictate how to properly do it so I don't negate the effect of the fire block, but I'm just a beginner after all.

Also, would the flexible drill bit be large enough to take an ac connector through? The kit has some sort of fire compliant extension cord that runs in the wall and the head of that would have to go through the fire block I think.

Thanks for the replies!
If this is an older house then the chances are great there will be no fireblock. If it's a newer one then yes, the chances are good there will be one there. You could check this out with a stud finder.

Don't know about the cord. I don't know the size of the head and I also don't know of code would permit it running through the wall. Extension cords traditionally are not to be used for permanent install and are not supposed to be run inside a wall.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 609
Rewards Points: 684
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


What you're talking about is commonly called a fireblock, which is really used more often to make the wall a bit stiffer.

I'm guessing it's about 48 inches from the floor.


Bob's recommendation doesn't apply at all in this case, and FWIW, these same "fireblocks" have been in use for a VERY long time. It's common to see them in hundred year old houses as well as newer homes. Quite often they were nailed in on an angle rather than sitting flat.


If you feel confident enough to do this, you would cut in the hole behind the TV, and the other at the same height as your electrical outlets.

You would then drill TWO holes in the fireblock. Keeping them as far apart as is possible, bearing in mind that the fireblock will have nails in the ends.

The reason for two holes is so you can keep the electrical wire you're installing, away from the AV cable (HDMI?).


If you're using HDMI, make sure that cable is in wall rated.


Follow me?
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
What you're talking about is commonly called a fireblock, which is really used more often to make the wall a bit stiffer.

I'm guessing it's about 48 inches from the floor.


Bob's recommendation doesn't apply at all in this case, and FWIW, these same "fireblocks" have been in use for a VERY long time. It's common to see them in hundred year old houses as well as newer homes. Quite often they were nailed in on an angle rather than sitting flat.


If you feel confident enough to do this, you would cut in the hole behind the TV, and the other at the same height as your electrical outlets.

You would then drill TWO holes in the fireblock. Keeping them as far apart as is possible, bearing in mind that the fireblock will have nails in the ends.

The reason for two holes is so you can keep the electrical wire you're installing, away from the AV cable (HDMI?).


If you're using HDMI, make sure that cable is in wall rated.


Follow me?
I seem to have two fireblocks then! I have one right above the AC outlets that's about 3-4" tall and extends through multiple stud cavities, and one that's about 48" from the ground, a foot tall, 2-4" deep, and multiple stud cavities wide.

I would be routing a specialized AC extension that the legrand CMK70 kit includes in it, as well as several HDMI and an optical cable potentially.

I think I will just put my top outlet right below the top block, and the bottom outlet right above the bottom block and not deal with fire code + cutting open more dry wall just to drill. I'm still not super jazzed about this solution because all this cable management solution is hiding is about a foot and a half of cabling behind the wall, but it's better than dangling cord or possibly klutzing with the fire code in the wall!
wilchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:47 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 609
Rewards Points: 684
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilchang View Post
I seem to have two fireblocks then! I have one right above the AC outlets that's about 3-4" tall and extends through multiple stud cavities, and one that's about 48" from the ground, a foot tall, 2-4" deep, and multiple stud cavities wide.

I've seen something similar before, and still have no idea why it might have been done.

May have been installed for nailers to accommodate some fancy picture frame molding like you see in a dining room?

I've also seen similar to be used a nailer for cabinets. But that would be a LOW cabinet...
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8
Default

Help With InWall Power Kit for Wall Mounted TV


Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
I've seen something similar before, and still have no idea why it might have been done.

May have been installed for nailers to accommodate some fancy picture frame molding like you see in a dining room?

I've also seen similar to be used a nailer for cabinets. But that would be a LOW cabinet...
This is in the living room next to a stairwell so I'm thinking this was setup to make it easy to do TV wall-mounting. Still a pain in the butt that they had the bottom fireblock... I feel like they just wanted to give me the bird since I opted to not get in-wall cabling done by the builder for $350.

Advertisement

wilchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cable , inwall , kit , power , stud


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TV power bridge into existing outlet and protected by an external surge protector andytran73 Electrical 4 12-14-2011 08:00 AM
Recurring Power Oddities - Regular Schedule DamienChaos Electrical 16 10-21-2009 07:45 PM
Wring for Lincoln Power Mig Welder vstoyko Electrical 17 01-15-2009 06:15 PM
Problem W/ Power after Switching Outlets... G19-Fanatic Electrical 17 08-28-2006 01:55 PM
Partial power on same fuse! joyjam Electrical 5 07-10-2005 10:23 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts