HDMI Through Soundbar To Projector - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 47

HDMI through Soundbar to Projector

Hey guys, been reading up a bit on HDMI (ARC) technology and still a little confused. Looking for some clarification on my particular setup.

Equipment:
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350
Vizio S5451W soundbar (with wireless sub and surround speakers)
(3) pieces of equipment with HDMI that need to get connected (Cable Box, Computer, PS3)

Since there are only (2) HDMI ports on the projector i cannot hook all 3 up without an HDMI switch. The soundbar is equipped with an HDMI in and an HDMI out (ARC). I don't believe the projector has HDMI ARC capabilites. If I send the HDMI output from the switch through the soundbar (so i get the true audio) then use the HDMI ARC out on the soundbar to send the video signal to the projector, will the video signal be degredated at all passing through the soundbar and/or can this HDMI out connection be used as strictly a pass through for video (ie: I would be using the ARC feature)?

Advertisement

smrf1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Unless you plan on using the soundbar to switch between a tv and the projector, just use RCA cables from the source, and Redmere HDMI cable to the projector.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #3

I have 3 different sources, and they would be switched at the 3X1 HDMI switch (3 inputs, 1 output). The projector is the only display. I do not want to, nor could i even send 3 sets of RCA(Digital)/optical/component signals from each source for audio to the soundbar (not enough inputs on the soundbar).

All these cables will be fished in wall, and i want to minimize the back-and-forth and quantity of wires required between the sources (front left of room), soundbar (front middle of room), and projector (rear ceiling of room)
Old 12-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #4

Correction to my first post, last sentance: (ie: I would NOT be using the ARC feature)
Old 12-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrf1080 View Post
Correction to my first post, last sentance: (ie: I would NOT be using the ARC feature)
Then your only choice would be to have an HDMI switcher that allows you to also output to RCA audio or Optical.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 12-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

With all due respect, i don't believe you are understanding my initial question.

I can send the HDMI output from the switch to the HDMI input on the soundbar. That will give me all the audio capabilities I need.

The Vizio soundbar also has an HDMI Out (ARC) connection. What I am trying to find out is if this connection can be used to then transfer that same HDMI signal to my projector.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

I do understand your initial question. The problem is that you do not understand the circumstances you have, and how simple the solution is.

As for ARC, it has nothing to do with the Projector, because it has no means to play audio out of it, or pass through.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrf1080 View Post
will the video signal be degredated at all passing through the soundbar and/or can this HDMI out connection be used as strictly a pass through for video (ie: I would be using the ARC feature)?
No video degradation will occur.

Advertisement

Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote