Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #1

Share |

Hd tv vs digital for older person

I'm 70, years old my eye sight does not compete with those younger eyes, so would I really see the differance between the HD and Digital ? I have comcast cable tv. their box right ? I'm happy with what I see now.
I can buy a hugh TV for a lot less then a small HD TV ,

What is your opinion
looking at 32 " to 42 "
Digital.
deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
I blame ProWallGuy

Go outside and play! You're gonna ruin your eyes watching all that junk on TV. Why, when I was your age we used to play outside all day long! lol

HD is nice on older eyes, but not everything is broadcast in HD. Digital and HD are not the same, but they do share the nice feature of a clearer picture than an analog broadcast.

Will you see a difference between HD and a non-HD digital broadcast? Yes. Is it worth the extra money? Not sure.

And ya, you have to have comcast's box if you're on comcast to see their HD broadcasts.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #3

What I would suggest is for you to go to one of the big stores, and compare it for yourself. If there are 2 sets side-by-side, have the sales person put one in HD, while the other is just digital. Some people will notice a huge difference, while others may not really notice that much. Everyones eyesite is different, so you can be the only judge of thwe picture difference, compared to the price difference. As Double A said, in the digital mode, you'll notice a crisper picture, with a complete absence of snow or interferrence, but digital is not the same as HD. As a rule, the larger the screen, the more difference you may notice.

Bofus
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #4

My grandpa is 95 and he just got a 40 inch LCD high definition flat screen and he notices a huge difference from his old TV hahaha...

HD only matters if you have HD channels though. I have satellite with an HD package. So some channels are standard and some are HD. There is a massive difference between them. "Digital" TV won't have any quality difference from analog--the signal is just delivered differently.
Drake Equation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #5

As far as digital compared to analog differences, with analog, if there is a weak station, you can still watch it. If its digital, its either all or nothing. A weak station may not come in at all. When viewing a digital broadcast with a digital TV, the picture will be crystal clear, with a complete absence of snow or interferrence. Can't say the same for analog.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM   #6

Thanks everyone
I think I will start looking for that HD tv.
Deck hand
deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote