Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Gray or white screen

How do you decide what screen you need? White or Gray.

Kurt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Gray or white screen

Flip a coin? What are you refering to?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #3

Gray or white screen

I hear people talking about screen color. Like white matte finish or gray finish.
Kurt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
New House Newbie

Gray or white screen

When talking to a screen rep at last year's CES, he said the new color of screens to go with is the gray's. The reason being is that there are alot of porjectors out there that sacrafice gamma (your blacks) for a lower cost. THe gray screen helps with mid-low end projectors that cannot replicate deep blacks so well. I questioned him about the colors and how they would look on a gray screen, and I cannot remember his exact statement, but I would guess that since there are just as many gray screens on the market as white, that there is little impact on color. Personnally, I went with a white matte paint painted directly on my wall to save the cost of a screen. I use projector that showcased its ability to show deep blacks so the pros of a gray screen didn't really apply to me. I could not be happier with the way it turned out and the way it performs.

P.s FYI in the Epson demo area (which I have a 6500UB projector) at CES they were using white screens. At the screen demo area, they did not have nay front projection that I was using, but they did have the gray screens there and they looked really good (as much as they can with the building lights on).
C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Gray or white screen

http://www.projectorpeople.com/screens/surfaces.asp
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

Gray or white screen

Best uses for a gray screen:

1. When your projector does not deliver really deep blacks which is the case with some of the LCD models,

2. When the theater room is not completely dark for example opens onto a bar or billiards area that is in use during movie time.

For a projector with adjustable light output for example with a lens iris, increased output on a gray screen gives the same results as decreased output on a white screen in a dark room. In the not so dark room, the washing out effect of room light is less on a gray screen.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-08-2009 at 05:32 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote