Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Arrow

FM Broadcasting around house

FM Broadcasting around house. I am an audio wizard, repair person, collector, etc. Check my youtube channel out for more if you really want. http://www.youtube.com/user/seansy59?feature=mhee

I have many receivers, and radios around the house, outside, outbuildings, and I am on a 2 acre area of land that I need music to broadcast to. I am in a very wooded area. I was looking on ebay at broadcast transmitters that are o.k music quality. Nothing Hi-Fi, just something to broadcast in stereo that sounds decent. This 0.5 watt transmitter looks good, and got a 4 or 5 star rating on Amazon.com. I would use the antenna that's included.
http://cgi.ebay.com/0-5w-Fm-transmit...item4aa98e7075

Anybody else think this is good for 2 acres of broadcast (maybe a little farther). I would like to plug this into my laptop, iPod, cd player, etc. and broadcast it to many (wireless) locations around the house and outside. I also would use it to broadcast for seasonal uses (Halloween & Christmas uses) that I use for music in needed areas for a seasonal "walk" I arrange. My budget is MAX $100 including shipping.

Anyone want to help me with this? Is it a good item, bad? Trouble I would run into? Any help is appreciated

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I dont know if you can broadcast an FM signal stong enough to cover 2 acres legally. First I would contact the FCC to see where you stand legally before I spent any money.

Check out this link it says the farthest you can broadcast a FM signal is 200 feet.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/low-power-...ons#UNLICENSED

Last edited by tonystewart1; 05-23-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: more info
tonystewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 510

FWIW, I have a small USB powered transmitter that hooks up to my computer. I think it was like $30ish on eBay. If I tune it in on my truck, I can get about 2 houses down before it disappears - probably about 300'. I know I can cover my whole yard without issue, but I only have a 1/2 acre.
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #4

Im not too worried about the FCC over here. I am in such a wooded and "dead zone" area, that my so called 20 mile walkie talkies won't even go down the road. I don't think it would be a problem with a small transmitter and mini antenna sitting in a room.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansy59
Im not too worried about the FCC over here. I am in such a wooded and "dead zone" area, that my so called 20 mile walkie talkies won't even go down the road. I don't think it would be a problem with a small transmitter and mini antenna sitting in a room.
You might still should worry about the FCC. They do flyovers every year to detect signal leakage if they detect a FM signal with to much power they will be knocking on your door. A neighbor of mine had the FCC show up at his door with a search warrent because he modified his CB to put out more power. He has no CB equipment and thousands of dollars in fines.

The FCC are worse than the CIA.
tonystewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Why not transmit WiFi? You won't run into the same FCC problems. I would not dismiss them as no problem unless you talk to them. Seems like a good time for an 'anonymous' phone call from a pay phone (if you can find one) to find out what your limits are.

Trust us, the FCC wants to answer your questions and help. They are not the devil.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #7

The only problem is, wi-fi won't transmit to the 80's analog receivers I have I'm hoping the transmitter wouldn't cause a problem. I haven't bought it yet, I'm still deciding. I really don't see a problem as long as the signal never leaves my property nor disrupts the neighbors. I know the transmitter has power adjustment, as I read on another website. It can adjust from 0.5 watts to 0.1 watt. I can't believe the FCC would be that strict if it doesn't even bother anyone, or even leave the somewhat "perimeter" of the property.