Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


We are planning on doing this and also using what looks like a built in wood box on the side of the fireplace for the components. I'm starting to worry that this may be a bad idea -- won't they get too hot? Anyone with experience with either issue?

kashimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 512
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


I wouldn't worry about it. This is a very common practice.

My personal preference is to have an enclosure over the fireplace for the TV, rather than just have it hanging on the front of the surface, but that's not something that has to be done.

I've mounted PDP's and LCD's to the front of fireplaces with marble, natural stone and faux stone facing. Never a problem with heat.

I would ask if the installer is planning on running VGA, HDMI, Component, Composite and a line for IR from equipment enclosure to TV mount. And also if there's a plan for surge protection/line conditioning for TV and source equipment.

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Handyguy
 
Brik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Yea, no heat issues usually. But, it CAN be a bad, awkward, viewing position. Maybe try it out temporarily before you permanently mount it there to see if you get a kinked neck or not.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Ah! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the tip!
kashimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Yes, Ideally, the proper height for TV viewing is supposed to be at your eye level when seated. I remember reading about this home theater point 15 years ago.

I was really into Home Theaters back then and was seriously thinking about branching out into custome installations. Back then, there were alot of people who didn't even know what a home theater was. I still have my laserdisc player (It plays CD's too)...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Yeah,

I personally love the aesthetic of mounting a flat screen above a fire place, but would be cautious of your viewing angle. There are swivel mounts for flat screens that will angle downward, so that you are less likely to get a kink in your neck when viewing.

something like this might be just the ticket:
http://www.ambientweather.com/dbpla2s.html
or this
http://www.peerlessindustries.com/dy...goryID/195/u/T


Hope that helps
triple7allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 512
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


LG 42 PDP, OmniMount U3T w/Pinnacle QP9 speaker on faux stone (source equipment in cabinets to the left).

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/House103.jpg

And a 37" Panasonic PDP in a recess (cable box is missing, and the bright white molding was later toned down).

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/House108.jpg
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Question about mounting a flatscreen to a typical wall made of drywall...What can you legally do to get hide the electric cord? I could run the tvs plug through the wall and up to my attic. In the attic I have an light socket and could add a plug to that and with an ext cord. But would fire be a problem? I called one electrician who said he'd charge $200 to add a new outlet behind the tv...Any DIY options?
Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 512
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Bottom line is that the wiring that goes in the wall needs to be rated for such use. And the power cord is not. Nor would you want to connect this mess together with an extension cord. Now that IS a bad move...

But...

What you can do is install a old work box where it'll be located behind the flat panel and run a piece of 14-2 romex up to the attic where it may be connected to an existing line inside an existing junction box (that is if your home is wired with romex, not aluminum, or wired in conduit).


As long as you feel comfortable messing around with the electric... , it's not all that difficult...

Truth be told the electrician wold most likely do this same thing.



If you do this I would strongly recommend using a Panamax "MIW-Power" behind the flat panel. This device will provide surge protection as well as prevent a ground loop.


You can also add the MIW-5RCA module for the lines coming from the source equipment for a nice clean installation....
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 88
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


+! for the MIW-power. The 5RCA module does actaully surge protect the line level feeds too. I thought is was just for looks for years and I was wrong. IIRC it won't pass digital coax. Not that I've ever tried that before .

Anyway, the electrician would just cut in a box behind the TV and fish a piece of romex either down to a recepticle thats below the TV (easy), into the basement (least easy) or up into the attic (not so hard if you do it in the right order). then he'd wire up a outlet (or Panamax in-wall preferrebly) (and hopefully with the breaker OFF) and VOILA no more power wire. Do not, read DO NOT put a power cable in the wall. It will be just as hard as doing it the right way.

As to the TV over the FP (what is up with the hijacking here? so confusing, wait I just hijacked!). We do it all the time. A recess can be bad for a tight fitting plasma because that will get hot WITHOUT a FP underneath. Just make sure you attach the wall bracket really well (read; put in four bolt or screws (depending on the wall material), hang from the bracket, try to pull it off the wall then add two more screws). I would def recommend a TILTING wall bracket (up/down) as opposed to a swivel or articulating bracket (left/right). That will give you a better picture.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 118
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kashimama View Post
We are planning on doing this and also using what looks like a built in wood box on the side of the fireplace for the components. I'm starting to worry that this may be a bad idea -- won't they get too hot? Anyone with experience with either issue?
It's a terrible idea for a number of reasons:
  1. You will need a roomful of recliners to be able to view it comfortably, and I imagine being forced into that position would get pretty irritating after a while. Well, I guess tall people could stand all the time.
  2. Having purchased a Nintendo Wii recently, I don't see how you could play Wii Sports with a TV mounted so high. It would ruin bowling and tennis for sure.
  3. Designs that intend for you to put your TV there may compromise wall space so that you can't position it properly on the floor.
Don't do it.
tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 88
Rewards Points: 0
Thumbs down

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


tima2381, he didn't ask whether it would be the absolute best placement, only if it would get too hot. It will not got too hot unless there is a recess and he chooses a plasma just has too little clearance.

1. Not everyone's mantles are 6' tall. Some (like mine) are less then 4' tall. Also a tilt mount would help with viewing angle.
2. They may not have or want a Wii. Also, did you stop to think that they might have other TV's in the home if they did have a Wii?
3. Designs that intend for you to put your TV there may compromise wall space so that you can't position WHAT properly on the floor?

I say it's not a terrible idea. It's not what I would do with my only TV but it's your house, you can do whatever you want. That's my favorite part of owning a home.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 118
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze View Post
tima2381, he didn't ask whether it would be the absolute best placement, only if it would get too hot. It will not got too hot unless there is a recess and he chooses a plasma just has too little clearance.

1. Not everyone's mantles are 6' tall. Some (like mine) are less then 4' tall. Also a tilt mount would help with viewing angle.
2. They may not have or want a Wii. Also, did you stop to think that they might have other TV's in the home if they did have a Wii?
3. Designs that intend for you to put your TV there may compromise wall space so that you can't position WHAT properly on the floor?

I say it's not a terrible idea. It's not what I would do with my only TV but it's your house, you can do whatever you want. That's my favorite part of owning a home.
The heat issue is an interesting question, but so are usability and ergonomics. This placement idea is incompatible with the latter, at least for a general-purpose TV, so there may not be much point in worrying about the former. Hopefully someone experienced enough to think about overheating will also consider the issues I mentioned, but you never know. Probably half the houses I looked at last year had "TV over the fireplace" designs, and I had to explain to my agent and others why it's such a bad idea for the main TV. Lots of people don't think about any of this; instead, they say things like, "Oh look, how clever, that will save space." It's only later they realize the painful truth.

1. I understand how tilting my computer monitor up a bit, so that it meets my gaze naturally, is useful and necessary. I fail to see how tilting a TV that is mounted too high downwards does anything remotely as useful. I guess it might help with all those recliners he'll need. And four feet is still too high.

2. True, I'm assuming that a "TV over the fireplace" is the main TV in the house, and it should accommodate a variety of uses. You're missing the point about my Wii comment. I haven't owned a game console since my Atari 2600 back in the late 70's. I got the Wii on a lark, and it was while playing the games I mentioned that I realized how unplayable they would be if the TV were above the fireplace. As AtlanticWBConst mentioned earlier, the de facto standard position is "eye level when sitting", and other products, such as Wii, tacitly assume it will be followed. (You stand while playing tennis and bowling, and looking downwards a little ways is much preferable to looking up; no, it's not just preferable, it's ideal, while having to look up would be unacceptable.) When I was house hunting last year, I rejected those that put the TV over the fireplace based solely on my reason (1), the need for a "roomful of recliners". Getting the Wii months later made me appreciate my decision even more, albeit for a totally unforeseen reason.

3. The TV, of course.
tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 88
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


I do not understand all of the wording but I think we agree. I don't want one there and neither do you. I don't think we need to argue about it anymore. The tilt mount at least makes the TV face directly at you instead of facing the wall above your head. My terminology was wrong. It does not change the viewing angle but it does improve perceived picture quality. I get a little too rushed when I reply sometimes (like right now, I get off work at 4:30).

I agree horizontal centerline of the TV should be at eye level when seated. That's where I would hang it if it were my TV and my house.

Still I say that if someone wants a TV over their FP they should put the TV there. We have customers that get this setup to be "cool" [didn't say that I agree with it] while the TV's they actually spend time watching are lower. It won't hurt a thing. It will not overheat.

If someone wants to be really cool they get a roll up painting over the TV that's over the FP. I'd rather spend that money on Crestron gear but if it weren't for those kinds of people I'd still be swinging a sledgehammer and running a torch to make ends meet.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 512
Rewards Points: 2
Default

Flatscreen over the fireplace? Is this really a good idea?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tima2381 View Post
It's a terrible idea for a number of reasons:

1. You will need a roomful of recliners to be able to view it comfortably, and I imagine being forced into that position would get pretty irritating after a while. Well, I guess tall people could stand all the time.
Actually you would NOT need " a roomful of recliners". Viewing can be, and is, quite comfortable with a standard sofa or chair as a matter of fact.

Quote:

2. Having purchased a Nintendo Wii recently, I don't see how you could play Wii Sports with a TV mounted so high. It would ruin bowling and tennis for sure.
Bowling and tennis on a Wii are typically played in a standing position, so, in my professional opinion, having the TV at a lower height could ruin the pleasure of those particular games.[/quote]

Quote:

3. Designs that intend for you to put your TV there may compromise wall space so that you can't position it properly on the floor.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say with this paragraph.
Explanation?


Quote:
The heat issue is an interesting question, but so are usability and ergonomics. This placement idea is incompatible with the latter, at least for a general-purpose TV, so there may not be much point in worrying about the former. Hopefully someone experienced enough to think about overheating will also consider the issues I mentioned, but you never know. Probably half the houses I looked at last year had "TV over the fireplace" designs, and I had to explain to my agent and others why it's such a bad idea for the main TV. Lots of people don't think about any of this; instead, they say things like, "Oh look, how clever, that will save space." It's only later they realize the painful truth.
As a professional, I believe the placement and idea is quite compatible with the ergonomics and utility. If you have a personal preference, that is fine. And to tell your agent that YOU don't care for this particular design is YOUR perogative.

A bit much for you to assume that "only later they realize the painful truth". Could be that later "they" are absolutely thrilled.

Quote:
I understand how tilting my computer monitor up a bit, so that it meets my gaze naturally, is useful and necessary. I fail to see how tilting a TV that is mounted too high downwards does anything remotely as useful. I guess it might help with all those recliners he'll need. And four feet is still too high.
Tilting up to meet your gaze...

Tilting down to meet your gaze...

Hmmmm.


Quote:
True, I'm assuming that a "TV over the fireplace" is the main TV in the house, and it should accommodate a variety of uses. You're missing the point about my Wii comment. I haven't owned a game console since my Atari 2600 back in the late 70's. I got the Wii on a lark, and it was while playing the games I mentioned that I realized how unplayable they would be if the TV were above the fireplace. As AtlanticWBConst mentioned earlier, the de facto standard position is "eye level when sitting", and other products, such as Wii, tacitly assume it will be followed. (You stand while playing tennis and bowling, and looking downwards a little ways is much preferable to looking up; no, it's not just preferable, it's ideal, while having to look up would be unacceptable.) When I was house hunting last year, I rejected those that put the TV over the fireplace based solely on my reason (1), the need for a "roomful of recliners". Getting the Wii months later made me appreciate my decision even more, albeit for a totally unforeseen reason.
You do realize that you're simply stating the same things over and over? Beating that "I assume" horse pretty well.

Sorry, but there really is no "de facto standard" when it comes to TV height. Why? Due to the fact that not all chairs/seating is of the same height.

The Wii game thing should give you a clue. Playing a Nitendo tennis game and looking down to a floor console TV would, in my opinion, be horrible, while the playing same game looking at a TV that is at, or slightly above, eye level (5'10" to my eye level standing) would be MUCH more perferable. And, for what it's worth, I have experienced both the former, and the latter.

How about leaving it as "to each his/her own"? Realizing that what you think of as a terrible idea, is something that is widely accepted. And maybe even not such a bad idea after all?

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laminate & hardwood in the same room, good or bad idea?? phatjoe Flooring 10 05-14-2011 09:57 PM
convert wood fireplace to gas fireplace brisk Building & Construction 3 06-19-2008 08:17 AM
SLATWALL storage solution for Garage, Good Idea?... KUIPORNG General DIY Discussions 9 01-29-2008 09:15 PM
Family Room Color / Giant Brick Fireplace kashimama Interior Decorating 3 12-25-2007 02:42 PM
re-using redwood fencing - a good idea? gulleyj Building & Construction 1 08-08-2007 09:40 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.