Flat Screen Outside? - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

flat screen outside?

Alright, so i'm closing on my first house on Friday (SOOOOOOO excited!)...anyways, in my living room i have a HUGE stone fireplace, with a HUGE mantel.

Anyways, right now in my living room i have a 50" DLP and in my bedroom i have a 36" lcd. My DLP is too large to put on the mantel so i plan on purchasing another LCD (hoping for a samsung 58" lcd ... drool ...) to put on the mantel, put my 50" DLP in the bedroom, and that leaves me with my 36" LCD.

Soooo...what i was thinking is, my back porch is HUGE, now when i say huge i mean HUGE!, there are 3 sliding glass doors that open up to it and 2 of them are the 3 pane sliding glass doors.

So anyways, my idea is to buy some outdoor furniture and basically make an outside living room on the back porch (yes it is fully covered and screened in), buy a ceiling mount lcd bracket and mount my flat screen outside in the porch.

My question...

Do you guys think this is going to ruin my TV even though it's going to be protected from most elements (rain, etc)?

I know they sell outdoor LCDs but im not willing to spend that much money just to have a TV outside. I just figured it would be nice to have a TV to watch if i'm out there grillin and the game is on or something...ya know?

What do you guys think?

Advertisement

tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

flat screen outside?

NO...just send it to me

How far from any edge where rain occurs will the TV be located?

I have no idea if it would last
That said I have a saltwater fish tank in the same room (12' away) as my 46" LCD
No problems - but only a year so far

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 264

flat screen outside?

If it is protected from rain/snow it should not be a problem. I suggest you mount it as near the ceiling possible. Be sure you use an adjustable mount because you will want the best viewing angle to beat any problems with light. Even early evening viewing may be difficult but it will be really great once the sun goes down.

Rege
RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
DIY Apprentice

flat screen outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
NO...just send it to me

How far from any edge where rain occurs will the TV be located?

I have no idea if it would last
That said I have a saltwater fish tank in the same room (12' away) as my 46" LCD
No problems - but only a year so far

Send me your address, don't need it anyways

Well, i technically have two options, i can mount it on the house side, or the opposite site (preferred location) just offsetting it enough so it wont get damaged (this will also eliminate any sun glare issues)

My thought is...i have this like...exhaust hood that is hanging from the ceiling where i can put my grill under it...im thinking about just sticking it a few feet in front of that, and it will block some of it out!

Just thought of another reason to have this...so when i get up to have my coffee and smoke...i can watch TV!

Once i close on the house i will post some pictures so you understand what i mean...but i'll give you guys some background info.

3/2 2200 sq ft heated, Orlando, FL
on Lake Orlando, with a pool.

Guess how much i'm paying?....

$166k with them paying 10k in closing costs (bank owned home...miss fannie mae!)

She needs some work, but that's what excites me :D the possibilities are endless....

my money however...is not
Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

flat screen outside?

if you are worried, why not put up a cabinet or something you can close when not in useyou can use a wall mount that will allow you to pull it forward and angle if needed

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-21-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #6

flat screen outside?

I wonder how the liquid crystal or plasma reacts to freezing temps. I'd have concerns about humidity too. Might be worth wiring it and having a mount for it that you can take on and off pretty easily, like when you're entertaining. My plasma is mounted on a mount that makes it really easy to take the TV off with no tools.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #7

flat screen outside?

I did see one that was built into a cabinet of sorts
It folded up into the ceiling when not in use & the door could then be locked
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,452

flat screen outside?

I saw a set made for outdoors. The price tag: $6300.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 520

flat screen outside?

Quote:
I saw a set made for outdoors. The price tag: $
left nut
Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 264

flat screen outside?

LCDs will take the freeze thaw cycle well. Some manufactures say not to turn it on when the temp is below freezing. If cold temps were a problem you would not see them in RVs. I have experience with LCDs in freezing temps and have had no problems. I have no experience with plasma but they are becoming more and more popular in RVs so it's hard to imagine the cold would be a problem.

Rege
RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
DIY Apprentice

flat screen outside?

Well guys...i live in Florida. Freezing temps don't really exist here, i was more worried about the humidity aspect of it...but i guess there is only one way to find out!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #12

flat screen outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
if you are worried, why not put up a cabinet or something you can close when not in useyou can use a wall mount that will allow you to pull it forward and angle if needed

I think this is a great idea. If you think about it, if it is protected from the elements your only concern is Humidity. I have a TV and a computer in my office with 5 fish tanks (115 gallons total and I'm thinking about adding another 55g) and after 5 years everything is fine. On the other hand, the humidity in FL is stifling.

If it was me I would build a wall cabinet for it and take the chance.
Hurriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
DIY Apprentice

flat screen outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurriken View Post
I think this is a great idea. If you think about it, if it is protected from the elements your only concern is Humidity. I have a TV and a computer in my office with 5 fish tanks (115 gallons total and I'm thinking about adding another 55g) and after 5 years everything is fine. On the other hand, the humidity in FL is stifling.

If it was me I would build a wall cabinet for it and take the chance.

Yeah, just not too keen on the whole cabinet idea...i think it would look too tacky, plus i would hate having to open it up all the time...UNLESS, i put an electric motor on the doors
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

flat screen outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripflex View Post
Yeah, just not too keen on the whole cabinet idea...i think it would look too tacky
True, but I am more of a "function over fashion" kinda guy, so i'd rather have tacky than watch my TV die an early death...

you could make it match what is already there, so it blends in.

What if you gutted a big, old gas grill, gave it a fresh coat of paint ( or polished the stainless) added some shelves where the tank used to be , mount the TV under the hood and used it as an entertainment center.

Personally I think that would be tacky and bad ass, all at the same time!!
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim West Pa

flat screen outside?

Hey tripflex, i saw an outdoor flat screen tv on a diy show recently,backyard crashers i think it was, that is waterproof and can handle 0 to 122 degrees.
I can't recall the name right now but a google search should find ya one.

Advertisement

Jim West Pa is offline   Reply With Quote