Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 87

Drill holes in Studs for Speaker Wire

One time I saw a wooden egg shape use to keep your drill bit center to the stud an away from dry wall and I can't remember who sold it or where?
Does any one know what talking about , I guest you would slide it down your extended drill bit and it would keep the bit center between the wall.

bote110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

I can not think of any possible reason you would need one.
Just drill them by eye.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,002

+1

Speaker wire is small.

Just eyeball it.

If you want to shoot them level in a row, just tie off a string on either side.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #4

Just want to make sure it was centered between the 2x4's I'm also running cat 6 wire going down and with this wooden egg shape makes your drill bit center of the 2x4 with out any guessing.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote110 View Post
Just want to make sure it was centered between the 2x4's I'm also running cat 6 wire going down and with this wooden egg shape makes your drill bit center of the 2x4 with out any guessing.
Never seen anything like that in my lifetime. Always done it by eyeballing aprox. center.

BTW, how many cables are you running? It probably would be better to just use Smurf Tube from a central pull point, and then come down either through the attic if no second floor, or up through the crawlspace or basement, if not on a slab.

Is this a house remodel, or a house build in progress?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #6

I have to go both up into the Attic with speaker wire and cat 5 and speaker wire going down. We had bought a new modular house an moved in last Dec. the basement is unfinished . In Modular every thing runs up and over then down to where they put the electrical box.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,450

I'm assuming this is because you don't have access to the studs - you're trying to go behind the drywall, correct? And this is why you can't eyeball it?
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #8

The wall where I want to drill is on the main wall where on a Modular House would be where both half's come together so I think the wall is on a support beam?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 672

That's called the marriage wall. They are not always on a support beam. It depends how far that wall runs without being supported. If the basement isn't finished you can easily see if there is a beam there. Either way there will be what is essentially a rim joist there so it would be really hard to get through it vertically unless you just angle through the top edge. Sometimes they double or triple that lumber up for strength. Small chance that the base plate might be slightly further over than those beams.

Last edited by mikegp; 03-14-2014 at 08:23 AM.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
BTW, how many cables are you running? It probably would be better to just use Smurf Tube from a central pull point, and then come down either through the attic if no second floor, or up through the crawlspace or basement, if not on a slab.
I like this idea much better.
Personally speaking, I don't like the idea of burying audio/video/computer cables in walls and other unaccessible places. This industry changes and upgrades so rapidly that it's worth trying to find ways to run cable so it's all accessible for easy updating/upgrading.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #11

I believe these are closed walls so a smurf tube would require some extensive demo and drywall work. Doesn't sound like something he wants to do, but who knows.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #12

This pic shows the second half of the wall , The other half is where I want to drill it will be between the small door opening on the far left and big opening in the center next to it ,{This pic is before both boxes are tied toghter}
Attached Thumbnails
Drill holes in Studs for Speaker Wire-house-set-up-10-4-2012-012.jpg  
Old 03-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #13

Can you post a pic of the marriage line from the basement and from the attic? That long of a distance should have a beam under it for support. Are you just trying to run cable from the attic straight to the basement or do you need to go horizontally through a wall?

Last edited by mikegp; 03-18-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #14

Modular Home have all wires going thru the attic and across to end of the box then down to the power box. So drilling down anywhere should be easy. I don't a pic of the beam in the basement at this time . I did notice that the contractor did run his wires across underneath the beam , so I will have to be careful not to hit them.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bote110 View Post
Modular Home have all wires going thru the attic and across to end of the box then down to the power box. So drilling down anywhere should be easy. I don't a pic of the beam in the basement at this time . I did notice that the contractor did run his wires across underneath the beam , so I will have to be careful not to hit them.
Good modulars don't run all the wiring in the attic. Top floor lights and any hvac in the attic would obviously have wire runs up there, but well built ones run the wires like you would in a normal home toward the corner where the electric panel will be located and then leave 20+ feet of extra cable to run down through the first floor to the basement or wherever the panel is.