Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Stage 2 newbie

Share |

DIY, hide your equipment!

Just thought I'd contribute to this section.

My wife and I mounted our plasma on the wall with some brackets we designed. they were horrible though, so just buy the nice ones at the store

however, the DIY part... we ran the cabling through the wall into a closet that is exactly on the opposite side of the wall. There we have the:

Tivo
Dish Receiver
Audio Reciever (HT/SS)
DVD Player

We purchased a RF remote from www.smarthome.com and now we have all of our electronics in this room HIDDEN from site and can control them from any room in our house. I fell in love with the product so much that I actually called them up and became a distributor myself .

next, we mounted a small shelf directly under the tv and put the gamecub on that. Wireless controllers was the next step.

so from our couch you see only the wall mounted tv. wall mounted surround speakers (sub woofer is hidden) and wall mounted game cube, which doesn't require the use of all the extra wires to use

just thought I'd share a little tip and DIY from our home theater to yours. I'll try to take some pics tonight to post.

Dustin

Old 06-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #2

Thumbs up

can't wait to see pics! sounds awesome

jestersma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 AM   #3

Wow thats going to be amazing, lucky you.
The sound quality will be awesome and the visuals... well yes I think we are going to need photos to believe this
Sauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Stage 2 newbie

Hmm... I forgot about this. I'll try to take pictures this weekend
Old 11-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #5

Hi everyone. we just put up our home theater system. we had it up before then took it down to do over the room. we have older Boston Acoustic speakers, woofer, center etc. bought a new reciever (digital) instead of dolby prologic and got an upgrade dvd/cd player. OK so everything is working dvd stereo but no sound from tv into ss speakers only sound from tv speakers. we shut the speakers off on the tv thru the audio controll on tv remote. tried with them on and off no change. The tv is older ? 10-12 years. nice tv 35" all the hookup places on the back that shows in the instruction manuals. Had all this hooked up to it before and worked. only change was upgrade of dvd and reciever. Please someone help!!! My husband is . THanks
autnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Stage 2 newbie

LOL, I don't think this is something we can really troubleshoot without seeing your setup. There's lots of things it could be.
First thing I'd check though is that your speakers are selected on your receiver. A lot of recievers have "speakers A" and "speakes B". It's easy to accidentally have both turned off.

good luck...
Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #7

some tv's allow you to turn off the on-set speakers and send audio only through audio out on the back of the TV, either a spdif/dig coax or through a left and right channel rca's. check to make sure its going out of that. if your TV doesn't have audio output and its coming from a STB,set top box, from your cable/sat. provider, just take the video into the TV for say, Vid. 1 and route the cable boxes audio output into the back of the receiver and make sure you put them in the corresponding input on the receiver..
GL
-chris
smallcrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
Just thought I'd contribute to this section.

My wife and I mounted our plasma on the wall with some brackets we designed. they were horrible though, so just buy the nice ones at the store

however, the DIY part... we ran the cabling through the wall into a closet that is exactly on the opposite side of the wall. There we have the:

Tivo
Dish Receiver
Audio Reciever (HT/SS)
DVD Player

We purchased a RF remote from www.smarthome.com and now we have all of our electronics in this room HIDDEN from site and can control them from any room in our house. I fell in love with the product so much that I actually called them up and became a distributor myself .

next, we mounted a small shelf directly under the tv and put the gamecub on that. Wireless controllers was the next step.

so from our couch you see only the wall mounted tv. wall mounted surround speakers (sub woofer is hidden) and wall mounted game cube, which doesn't require the use of all the extra wires to use

just thought I'd share a little tip and DIY from our home theater to yours. I'll try to take some pics tonight to post.

Dustin
Two observations. First, whenever you run cables thru the wall, make sure they are fire code rated or run in a code rated conduit. Doing otherwise is an excuse for an insurance company to deny a claim should there ever be a fire (it HAS happened). This is particularly true for speaker cables.

Second, if you mount gear in a closed closet or cabinet, you always need to make certain you provide for cooling. I've seen too many systems that were overtemping. Otherwise...enjoy!
Soundbroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

I am sure, that all the other person did was put a hole, which allowed for the cables to pass through to the other side. And as for the closet, unless the other person had a huge amount of equipment, just having the TiVo, Satellite Receiver, A/V tuner, and DVD player, are really not going to give off that much heat. I am probably guessing that this was a Clothes closet, which means most likely Accordian doors, other wise if a closet with a door, a vent at the lower portion will allow for better air floor, if it gets too warm in there.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #10

Running the cables thru a common wall probably wouldn't cause a concern...though just to be absolutely safe, I'd stick a small piece of conduit in there. But when you run things IN the walls, that is a whole different ballgame and you get legal issues to consider.

As for the heat. A modern 7.1 reciever, TIVO and Sat receiver can put off a ferocious amount of heat. Even in a large closet, I've had customers contact me with units that are thermaling out. And to do proper ventilation, you need airflow...that means intake and exhaust. Easy way to check...go into the closet near the end of a loud, dynamic movie at the end of a big dynamic sequence and check the temp of the closet and the gear. If it is lava hot...time for a thermal solution.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

That is true. One way, is to use a exhaust system to pull the heat, or even no door on the closet.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbroker View Post
Two observations. First, whenever you run cables thru the wall, make sure they are fire code rated or run in a code rated conduit. Doing otherwise is an excuse for an insurance company to deny a claim should there ever be a fire (it HAS happened). This is particularly true for speaker cables.

Second, if you mount gear in a closed closet or cabinet, you always need to make certain you provide for cooling. I've seen too many systems that were overtemping. Otherwise...enjoy!
Well that's an interesting statement. All the electrical wire in my home is not run in conduit. Are you suggesting the my speaker wire is more of a fire causing concern the 240v and 120v run through entire home?
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
Stage 2 newbie

no, it doesn't cause fires. But the fumes that non in-wall (Plenum) rated wire puts off are considered harmful. Insurance looks for any and every loophole they can find.

when in doubt it's best to look into local firecode. There's a reason why they make plenum rated speakerwire.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleysilo View Post
Well that's an interesting statement. All the electrical wire in my home is not run in conduit. Are you suggesting the my speaker wire is more of a fire causing concern the 240v and 120v run through entire home?
Yes, and the wire in your home is all Romex which is fire code rated. If you run NON fire code rated cable and (god forbid) you have a fire...you very likely just lost your insurance. It has happened to some people. Welcome to a litiginous society.

This is why you'll see in-wall rated speaker and low voltage cables labeled CL-2 or CL-3 and why any non fire code rated cable should be run thru code compliant conduit (typically Smurf or Schedule 40). Check with your local building dept or low voltage inspector who will likely tell you the exact same thing and will likely kick it back if the cables are not compliant. I've had theater calibrations and installation with pre-wired homes I've walked away from because the cables and the video cable routing were not code compliant...too much liability.

Last edited by Soundbroker; 02-26-2007 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #15

I was interested in doing this, but thought of something. I have four tvs with cable boxes. If I change the channel in my living room with the rf remote, wouldn't that change the channel on every tv? Also if my neighor had the same cable box and was not that far away?

Bacardi 151 is offline   Reply With Quote