Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #1

Share |

debating on running HDMI cable or cat 5e extender.

I am going to have a 50 foot run.

I was reading pros and cons between HDMI or using cat 5e extenders for HDMI signals on long runs.

Cons for HDMI was signal loss at 50 feet. I was reading the Con for HDMI extender was if I tie in cat 5e wires into a patch panel in the A/V room then connect HDMI extender, The extender won't work properly.

What is the best option. HDMI or HDMI extenders over cat 5e?

humberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #2

I would go HDMI.

You *SHOULD* be able to do 50 feet without any kind of amp or extender depending on the quality of the equipment involved, but if not then it's only an additional 25 or 30 bucks for an hdmi extender.

It should be noted that extenders have issues with 3D and 4K tv.

Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I actually preffered to run HDMI cable, i would save myself a ton of labour in the process. I wanted to make 9 runs in my house.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #4

You want to make 9 runs of HDMI cables through your house? Wow...personally, and with 20+ years in computer networking, I wouldn't do hdmi. I think that's too specialized. I think you need to look at something more generic like cat6. If you do hdmi, you are limited to audio/video signals. With cat6 you can run data, video, etc with the right converters.

Tough call, and hdmi is expensive.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taylorjm For This Useful Post:
dougp23 (04-27-2014), gregzoll (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Redmere, or just pull a couple of runs of Cat-6. Personally I would pull Cat-6. It gives you more opportunities for future proofing. Always pull through Smurf Tube. If you pull an HDMi and it goes bad. Guess what is coming out to replace that cable. A whole lot of drywall.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
You want to make 9 runs of HDMI cables through your house? Wow...personally, and with 20+ years in computer networking, I wouldn't do hdmi. I think that's too specialized. I think you need to look at something more generic like cat6. If you do hdmi, you are limited to audio/video signals. With cat6 you can run data, video, etc with the right converters.

Tough call, and hdmi is expensive.
Especially with the fact that they will be using a Redmere cable for those kind of distances.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by humberguy View Post
I wanted to make 9 runs in my house.
9 runs is a different ball game. Not sure what the need is for that?

Usually when you have a long HDMI run, it's say.... from the receiver (in the front of the room) to a roof mounted projector in the back.

What is this "9 runs" all about?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
JOATMON

I went through the same issue on my 2-story addition.....

The issue with HDMI is that you either an HDMI switch or 9 outputs.

I ran 2 Cat 6's to each room....along with an RG6 coax. This gives me the option of using HDMI over the two Cat 6's or just streaming video over Ethernet....or watch what ever is on the antenna.

Seeing how Ethernet is pretty much standard now for most TV's....I'll just go that way.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #9

Okay... I think I understand what's going on here. You're along the lines of trying to run multiple tv's from a single box (streamer box or cable box)

The norm is to run ethernet to a box in each room. A SHORT hdmi run then goes from the box to the tv.

The difference is that HDMI wasn't really built to carry data for long runs. It was built to carry VIDEO/AUDIO INFORMATION for relatively short runs.

Ethernet is for long runs of data.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Seeing how Ethernet is pretty much standard now for most TV's....I'll just go that way.
For data... yes, but not necessarily for audio/video. That standard is HDMI
Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
9 runs is a different ball game. Not sure what the need is for that?

Usually when you have a long HDMI run, it's say.... from the receiver (in the front of the room) to a roof mounted projector in the back.

What is this "9 runs" all about?
No one I know runs that many HDMI. It is all either having Cat-6 ran with Baluns, or step it up a notch and go with HDMI over Ethernet switching. The last is more then what most would spend. But if you own a large home, business, etc. It is the best way to go.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
No one I know runs that many HDMI. It is all either having Cat-6 ran with Baluns, or step it up a notch and go with HDMI over Ethernet switching. The last is more then what most would spend. But if you own a large home, business, etc. It is the best way to go.
Agreed.
I have a central NAS and ONE cat6 to each room. The NAS and cat6 supply the data while a box in each room processes it and hands it off the the audio/video equipment via SHORT hdmi
Old 04-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

As for HDMI cables. I started to just go with the Amazon Basics. Got really tired of getting bad HDMI cables from Monoprice. The price is the same as Monoprice's, but better quality.

Best thing is that the heads on the Amazon's are not as large as the Monoprice version.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Okay... I think I understand what's going on here. You're along the lines of trying to run multiple tv's from a single box (streamer box or cable box)

The norm is to run ethernet to a box in each room. A SHORT hdmi run then goes from the box to the tv.

The difference is that HDMI wasn't really built to carry data for long runs. It was built to carry VIDEO/AUDIO INFORMATION for relatively short runs.

Ethernet is for long runs of data.
Yea, sorry i forgot to explain. I will have a server room with all my receivers and communication cables. I will run 2 satellites,tv cable, and a playstation in the server room going to 7 TV's. I run into problems sometimes where i want to watch TV but i have guest over sometimes and can't watch what i want, i would like to have the option of switching the HDMI port on the receiver box from the living TV to the bedroom TV in the server room if i need too.

Also i have one more question. I already started running some wire in my house. I actually ran cat 5e wire not cat 6e. Am i ok with cat5e wire?

I just box 2 boxes of cat 5e and i don't want to put the wire to waste.

Last edited by humberguy; 04-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #15

So, you want to have 7 tv's, and the ability to watch something you want on any of those tv's, plus allow the other tv's to watch something as well. Maybe even be able to watch a recorded show on a tv but not interrupt what others are watching.

Um, I think you just described what pretty much any cable, satellite provider has. At&t uverse, verizion fios, comcast, charter, dish network, they all have the ability to let you watch what you want by having a box at each tv. I'm not sure why you are trying to reinvent the wheel!!

taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote