Controls For Media Closet In Basement. - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

controls for media closet in basement.

I am doing my basement. I want to make a media closet in the basement. Have all my wires in that closet. I want to put the satellite, ps3, surround sound boxes in the closet. I want everything clean at the tv.

The problem I am noticing is how will I control all the entertainment boxes that will be in the basement when the TV is upstairs?

I have seen on the Internet, some app that can control the devices through WIFI. That would mean for me that I would need to upgrade every box and TV to Internet capable devices in my house. Is their another method?

Advertisement

humberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Use a wired infrared repeater. A pickup goes up near the TV, wires lead back to the repeater block near the gear. IR emitters go from that block to the front of each device. CAT5 wire works fine for this sort of thing. There have been many schemes for doing this but in the end using a standalone wired IR repeater is the tried-and-true most reliable. Trust me, I've tried just about EVERYTHING else.

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

Thank you. You saved me a lot of headaches. One more question. Can I buy a universal remote to control the receivers so I can run one wire?

Last edited by humberguy; 03-27-2014 at 05:00 PM.
humberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

You may run into issues with your PS3 controllers, depending on how far away and what materials the signal must pass through.

You only run one wire (a CAT5 or 3.5mm audio cable) for the IR repeater. It just sees any IR signal and repeats it, so if you have 1 remote or 50 they will all work with the IR repeater.

Example:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/IR-Repeater-System-Control-Theater/dp/B0016PM63W[/ame]

That one uses a 3.5mm audio cable for the IR receiver. There is a 50' extension available on the same page for about $6.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote