Components Too Hot From Fireplace - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

Components too hot from fireplace

I have a built in fireplace mantel/entertainment center with space above the fireplace to put different components(directv receiver, ps3, etc)

The problem is after a couple hours of use the area gets too hot for the equipment. IS there an insulator I could use to almost stop the transfer of heat. Would using just regular foam insulation work??

I have attached a picture of the area in question
Attached Images

Advertisement

BigRedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Foam equals off gassing, when gets hot, or if it melts. What is the measured temp that you are getting, where the components and tv are sitting? You can use a Grill thermometer with remote sensor, to give you that info.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 356

Could you move the components to the side opposite the sub? Would get less heat from the fire there.
chitownken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownken View Post
Could you move the components to the side opposite the sub? Would get less heat from the fire there.
I just noticed that sub. Bad placement for it. It should be back by the seating area, or on the wall, near the seating, not in that cabinet.

Really need to know what temps they are getting, before any suggestions can be made.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,682

when i was doing the A/V thing. i read some stories about just how bad it was to put any gear over/around a fireplace. just say'n...
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
dabeast (10-11-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Foam equals off gassing, when gets hot, or if it melts. What is the measured temp that you are getting, where the components and tv are sitting? You can use a Grill thermometer with remote sensor, to give you that info.
will have to do that next time we run it. In all honesty it was after beuing run for 5 hours. Highly unlikely we run it that much.

My other thought was to use some spacers(like footers) on the side and elevate the components off the wood so it has less direct heat
Old 10-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 608

McMaster Carr is a good place to look for various types of insulation.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#thermal-insulation/=ow6sih

The other thing that will help is to get good airflow through the compartments. It does not look like you have glass in the front, so that is good (that would really trap the hot air). Possibly you can find a few small decorative grills, that you can mount above the components, to let hot air escape.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

I have to say that the firebox surround doesn't look like it's built of fire resistant materials to me. If you're getting enough heat transfer to adversely affect electronics, that's a double ?? as to how the whole thing is constructed. You might want to contact your local fire department for an inspection. Better you get red flagged and have to rebuild it correctly than you burn your house down.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Still going...

Rewards Points: 500

Zero clearance is to combustibles...

Most electronics in their literature tell you ambient temps that they can work in. That close to fireplace I'm sure isn't in ambient range.

Master Bath, still going...

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 10-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDIY View Post
Zero clearance is to combustibles...

Most electronics in their literature tell you ambient temps that they can work in. That close to fireplace I'm sure isn't in ambient range.
not sure if directed to me. The fireplace was built to the specs required. It is a zero clearance fire place there is 1.5 inches on either side of the firebox and about 2 inches ontop
Old 10-16-2013, 02:39 PM   #11

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556093145.html

will be trying something like this to keep the componnets cool
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
JPL

Rewards Points: 25

Bad idea, really bad idea. I've been doing A/V for 23 years. Don't insulate it- move it all.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Bad idea, really bad idea. I've been doing A/V for 23 years. Don't insulate it- move it all.
Then I'm sure you saw my last post about using component cooler fans
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
JPL

Rewards Points: 25

So- where do the fans get the COOL AIR? Bad idea, bad design=bad result. Fry your stuff- it's your $$$. Hopefully you won't endanger anyone, or burn your house down.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
So- where do the fans get the COOL AIR? Bad idea, bad design=bad result. Fry your stuff- it's your $$$. Hopefully you won't endanger anyone, or burn your house down.
nice comment.

First of all let me start.

This is zero clearance insert fireplace. The mantel was built and exceeds the reccomended specs. The fireplace was installed by a licensed installer who said as much about the mantel.

Second,

For being an AV guy you obviously dont know how Cooler Fans work. These fans work by expelling out the warm air. They do not blow air in but instead blow air out of the cavity. Thus creating a cooler enviroment

Third,

Dont be a tool and say things about burning houses down

Advertisement