Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Share |

ceiling mounted tv's?

so I have a dillema, and that is a small master bedroom in a finished attic.
I have started a remodel and am having the darndest time figuring out how to put in a tv.

Here is a picture pre-remodel

That built in space was just all wasted. I am instead sealing it off and installing a skinny door somehow (bifold? french?) to make it a small walk in closet. The wall will be flush with the door on the right
To the right is the main door into the bedroom.

I need to mount a flat panel tv somehow. Ideally I would love some sort of ceiling flip down mount over the closet door and we would just have to move it to get into our closet. Pain but we really only watch tv before bed not while getting ready in there.

From what I can find something that swings up/down however is thousands of dollars! unless someone knows of an alternative...

Can anyone help me with ideas for my challenge?

Edit:
I also have been looking at other ideas like mounting to the wall behind the bed and pulling forward (but there is a window)
and a pop up mount at the foot of the bed.

I don't want to put something in place that is $500 for a cheap $200 32in lcd just to watch shortly before snoozing though...
Money is certainly an object in this case, creativity is free

Last edited by tastyratz; 11-01-2012 at 11:25 AM.
tastyratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Bombastic Idiot

ceiling mounted tv's?

Over which closet door? You wanta mount it to sloped ceiling? Or over alcove? What is width of alcove, that'll give some idea of dimensions else where. When not in use Tv will be flat against ceiling?

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #3

ceiling mounted tv's?

Not sure what you want to spend, but this place has several reasonably priced options. I bought pretty much all of my theater room cables and connectors from here, no issues, good prices, quick shipping.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...09&cp_id=10828
OKDrew63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #4

ceiling mounted tv's?

I always go right to monoprice first, I just didn't see anything they offer which would work in my scenario unfortunately. It is a very tight space and I am sure I am asking a lot of it, especially trying to find a budget solution.

Notmrjohn: there is no closet there now, that was just the space. The door in the right of the photo is the actual bedroom door itself. I want to mount it on the small flat section of ceiling which would unfortunately be right in front of the closet door, so I need something I can easily swing up and out to access the closet.
tastyratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Bombastic Idiot

ceiling mounted tv's?

" mount it on the small flat section of ceiling" so when in viewing position it would hang down over wht is now open alcove. Horizontal swing would hit slope or interfere with entry door. If it was mounted on future door would it be too low?
How thick is TV front to back? "Flat screen?" Build shallow open front box around TV, providing adequate ventilation, securing TV in box. Hinge front of box to ceiling. TV folds up, screen to ceiling. Might need counter balancing, cables, pulleys and sash weights in alcove or walls. Some sort of catch to keep TV up. Peg thru pulley in alcove, ratchet, loop in cable over peg in alcove. Somethin more refined. Connect cable to door, open door TV goes up, close door TV comes down, bumps head. Small remotly controlled electric motor lowers, raises, holds TV.

Forget TV, more interesting things to do in that room, jump on bed, read book, Barry White on 8 trac. Clunk bang whir clunk whir "Can't find my place on this page, babe."
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

ceiling mounted tv's?

Are you only going to be watching it in bed?

We looked at a small renovated rowhouse in Denmark a few years ago. The upper floor was finished into one big master bedroom and the TV was mounted on the sloped ceiling giving you a perfect viewing angle when lying in the bed (but horrible from anywhere else), I thought it was very creative use of space.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

ceiling mounted tv's?

Were it not for wanting to use that space as a closet, it would be the perfect place to put the TV.

Have it built in with storage drawers underneath.

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote