Cat5e Or Cat6 - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 101

cat5e or cat6

I've ran cat5e into 2 rooms 1. for our pc and 2. for my son xbox. I would like to add 2 more , 1 more to the master bedroom and the other is to the living room. The 3 bedrooms are closer to the modem in the basement. The living room is about 50 feet away {house is '30x'54} and it has the entertainment center, flat screen ,BL ray,and of coarse my xbox . I would like to know would it be better to run a cat6 to the living room and would it be best to run the wire thru a pvc pipe to keep the wire insulated better back to the other end of the house so to not loose and signal from all ac ducts and power wires in the basement?

Advertisement

bote110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 175

cat5e or cat6

PVC won't do squat for signal quality. But I don't think you'd have a problem anyway.

It'd be a good idea if you're gonna finish the space and want to replace it later.

Advertisement

NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,460

cat5e or cat6

You can run cat6 if you want but you won't notice any difference. Cat6 is also harder to work with.

As nick states, the pvc won't do a thing for signal quality. It is best to try and run all com and data lines separately from ac power lines but it's not the end of the world if they meet up here and there.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

cat5e or cat6

is PVC Conduit some kind of Electrical insulation?, wouldn't this work? I did a data test coming into my house and high number readings that I was paying for for download speeds from comcast. Now I did the same test going to each room and my readings drop like 3/4 on my cat5e so I complaint to comcast and they send out a tec service and I was told because I have expose air ducts and live wires in my unfinished basement I was losing signal strength , my 2 rooms I use the standard cat5e blue wire 50 feet so that is why I thought by adding a conduit that I would be able to insulate my wire from any bleed overs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
You can run cat6 if you want but you won't notice any difference. Cat6 is also harder to work with.

As nick states, the pvc won't do a thing for signal quality. It is best to try and run all com and data lines separately from ac power lines but it's not the end of the world if they meet up here and there.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,460

cat5e or cat6

Most interference comes in the form of electromagnetic interference. It's a magnetic energy coming off your line voltage wires. Plastic does very little to stop this kind of interference.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #6

cat5e or cat6

So no Conduit on the market that can be use to shield or insulate the cat5e wire?
Is there any cat cables that come insulated for this purpose?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

cat5e or cat6

Cat5e and cat6 are designed by the nature of the cable to be interference free. That is the principle of the precise twisted pairing within the cable . A DataCenter such as the one I manage has 1000s of feet of cat5e and cat6 cable running in close proximity to power cables carrying 60 amps or more of power and into racks with computers that consume 4 times the power of your electric clothes dryer. As long as you don't kink or twist the cable and and you make the end connections within the specification for the cable you will be fine. Most failures of network cable are
At the terminations.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 175

cat5e or cat6

We're trying to tell you it isn't a big deal. As in, wire it and move on with life . . .

Advertisement

NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote