Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Share |

Can anyone help please? I can't figure out which way to hook everything up

Thank you for takin a minute to read this and offer some advice...Ive been clueless for an hour and canít find the manual online anywhere so I really appreciate this! I just got a Denon AVR-2000 that says on the front: "Dolby Surround: Pro-Logic" and also: "Digital Signal Processing System DSP", and the front also has one "Video Aux Inputs" slot (3 inserts).
**Picture of the back of the receiver is attached to this thread.

I realize that the receiver has no digital inputs or outputs anywhere, but I am just inquiring about what the "best set-up" would be with the components I have that'd make the best surround sound.

Components I want to hook up to receiver:
(1.) Element HDTV(ELDFT421) (3 AV Inputs; 2 Component Inputs w/ the green,blue,and red ones; 3 HDMI inputs; 1 Orange Coaxial input; 1 VGA Input; and screw-on for basic cable cord)
(2.) Comcast Cable HD (1 HDMI; Video: Yellow, Green, Blue, Red; Audio Out: Red, White, Orange Coaxial, and Digital Audio
(3.) DVD Player (Digital Out: Orange Coaxial Cable; Component Video Out: blue,red,green; Audio: Red, White; Line Out-video: yellow
(4.) CD Player (red and white output)
(5.) XBOX 360 (1 HDMI; Digital Audio; Regular AV cords)
(6.) IPOD- Hook up cord with RCA Cords with the Aux cord on the end
(7.) Subwoofer- Has one red input cord on back. It is powered by a wall outlet

Thanks again if you're reading this I know its long but heres just a few questions please!?
(1.) My Element HDTV (bought new a year ago) has recently started cutting-out to a blue screen momentarily while watching digital cable and then after 2 seconds it will cut back to the show. Ive replaced the cable box, tried new HDMI cables, so now I believe its a TV HDMI problem. Is there a way to bypass the direct TV--Cablebox route and make it go through another component first or anything that might solve this? Also... any steps describing what the best set-up would be using which cords would be fantastic.
Thank you so much for your time! This took forever to write but I really want to experience the best surround sound with the mediocre components I own

Bamalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Work Hard, Play Harder

You could just run the red/white/yellow (left, right, video) from most components to the Denon and then the Denon's red/white/yellow output to the tv's av input.

That Denon is pretty aged; did you get it on Woot?

You aren't going to get any real surround sound with that Denon; I love them and have a Denon myself; but the AVR-2000 is basically an av (red/white/yellow) hub. I don't remember if it even supports video switching; so my whole post may be wrong.

You may look into an AVR-1912. The most recent version even has HDMI control protocol.

coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

I appreciate you replying and the advice. I have a JVC RX-558V as well that I've been using before I was offered this one. The JVC receiver would never play the back speakers I could never get it to do surround sound but I very well could have hooked it up wrong. Does it have to be digital to be able to get to the rear speakers and center?
Bamalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #4

To be honest man, you should update your receiver, your not going to get very good video quality off of the "yellow" wire.
cjosey0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

How old is this receiver?

Are those all the jacks there are, or are there some others not pictured and blue or green in color?

You will want to run all of the video cables directly to the TV. The red and white audio cables can still be connected to this receiver.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Your receiver is not capable of passing any HD video signals.

The highest video it has is standard def S-video.

You can plug your cable box into tv using HDMI or component green/blue/red video. Plus red/white audio or a digital audio depending on tv's inputs. Some HDMI pass audio so try that first. Might be only cable you need.

Hook up DVD player to tv using component green/blue/red video. Plus red/white audio or a digital audio.

XBox with HDMI cable to tv.

CD player to receiver on red/white CD in jacks.

i-Pod to receiver on VCR2 in red/white jacks if you have the right cable.

Now, for sound, take an output from tv (TV out?) red/white. Run to VCR1 in or DAT/tape in red/white. To get surround sound out of receiver, you will be counting on quality of Dolby Pro logic and/or DSP processors to process this stereo input into surround sound. Speaker wires must be correctly wired to receiver.

Don't see a sub woofer input in your pics but even this vintage receiver should have.

Internet Chart:
Jack
Cable
Name
Typical use
Level of
video quality

RF

aka radio frequency; antenna; cable; screw type; F-pin
Antennae, VCRs, cable and satellite boxes
Lowest, Highest (digital) for HDTV tuners

Composite video

aka yellow video; video; A/V (when combined with audio jacks)
Cable and satellite boxes, VCRs, DVD players, game consoles
Low

S-Video

aka DIN 4
Cable and satellite boxes, S-VHS VCRs, DVD players, game consoles
Medium

Component-video

aka component; Y, Pb, Pr; Y, Cb, Cr; broadband component; 1080i; 720p; HDTV
HD cable and satellite boxes, DVD players, HDTV tuners, Blu-ray and HD DVD players, game consoles, other HD sources red/green/blue with red/white
High

RGB

Connections can also be made through RCA or BNC-type connectors, and adapters are available between all of them

aka PC, computer, VGA; 15-pin D-sub; RGB-HV
Computers, video processors
High

FireWire

aka IEEE 1394; iLink
some HDTV tuners, D-VHS VCRs
Highest (digital)
[
DVI-D with HDCP

aka DVI-D; Digital Visual Interface; High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
Computers; older HD cable and satellite boxes, HDTV tuners and DVD players
Highest (digital)

HDMI

aka High-Definition Multimedia Interface
HD cable and satellite boxes, DVD players, HDTV tuners, Blu-ray and HD DVD players, game consoles, computers, other HD sources
Highest (digital)

icons didn't copy.

Last edited by diyorpay; 08-15-2012 at 10:14 AM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Wow, that is a dinosaur. Suggest using only for 2 channel stereo, and getting something like the Denon AVR 1612 if you want a bottom end HDMI capable AVRS. Otherwise, the one you have is not worth the effort.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

I cannot get Blu-Ray player to play thru new reciver to tv. I have the following: sat.box to receiver--blu-ray to receiver--receiver to tv. all HDMI connections. tv plays fine. blu-ray not at all. Can anyone help please?

Last edited by arja4444; 08-16-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: should be new post
arja4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

The obvious:
HDMI blu-ray to receiver input
HDMI from receiver to tv input

You will have to select (at receiver) what is sent to tv, if on 1 HDMI cable to tv. Now, it seems cable box is 'sending' to tv.

If tv has multiple HDMI in jacks: ie. receiver out cable box to tv HDMI1
Cable box must be selected at receiver; HDMI1 must be selected on tv.
If blu-ray player selected at receiver; likely HDMI2 or similar must be selected on tv.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

MY THANKS TO DIYORPAY. ALL OK NOW.

arja4444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denon, dolby, hdmi, receiver, surround