Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cabling suggestions for new/old home

Hi there,

I'm new to the DIY forums. Looks like a great resource! I recently bought a home. It's a single level and has a crawl space under the floor and an attic.

Currently...the TV cable comes into the bottom of the house and feeds to the living room and great room. I need to feed it to my home office as well for my cable modem and to, of course, be able to watch TV on my PC monitor. The easy solution is to split off the cable in the crawl space and feed it up and install a jack. But...being a guy who likes thinking things out for the long haul, I'm wondering if now is the time to reroute the cable in the attic instead. It's much more pleasant to do wiring up there than in the crawlspace. The other idea I have is whether I should mount a distribution box in the hall closet and then run from there. Not sure what the advantages are to that. I would most likely run network cable while I was at it. I guess I have been intrigued by some of the newer homes that are prewired like this.

Am looking for comments and suggestions.

Thanks, Steve

swilson317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Feed to a Central point such as a attached garage, or indoor utility room. From there, you should be able to pull Ethernet, Coax, and Telephone. If you can afford Octopus cabling, that would work even better. Do not connect in the Attic, because the next home owner may not like it, and it is a ***** to work on during Summer months with the heat. Do yourself a favor, and keep the connections in the interior space. Why do you think that offices have connections in the interior, vs. in the drop ceilings.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. If I pull to a central point, should I pull under the floor or in the attic? I'm not following your comment about the octopus cable. I'm only familiar with octopus cable that has multiples of the same cable. Are you referring to a cable that carries coax, ethernet, and phone?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

You can do it either way. Crawl spaces are easier to work in, then attics. Octopus cable, is 2 runs of Coax, 2 runs of Cat-3, 2 runs of Cat-5e or Cat-6, and Fiber Optic if you wish. You can also get Octopus that is for A/V, with HDMI cabling in it. The cost is a little more, but makes for a cleaner run.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

I finally found the cabling. Maybe the term "octopus" is being used loosely. I was only able to find, what I am familar with for an "octopus" cable on the Net, as a single 50-pin Telco-style connector on one end and 12 RJ-14 jacks on the other. Searching for Structured Wiring, I did find various brands of "composite" cables such as this: http://www.av-cables.net/Bulk-cable/...ble-43076.html

I have a feeling that fiber may be overkill, but then again, it is the future...and I do believe in investing in the future...especially when it comes to pulling cable. Why two coax cables, though?

Oh...and for anyone else insterested in this topic...I found a really nice write up with photos of a similar project here: http://www.swhowto.com/

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilson317 View Post
I finally found the cabling. Maybe the term "octopus" is being used loosely. I was only able to find, what I am familar with for an "octopus" cable on the Net, as a single 50-pin Telco-style connector on one end and 12 RJ-14 jacks on the other. Searching for Structured Wiring, I did find various brands of "composite" cables such as this: http://www.av-cables.net/Bulk-cable/...ble-43076.html

I have a feeling that fiber may be overkill, but then again, it is the future...and I do believe in investing in the future...especially when it comes to pulling cable. Why two coax cables, though?

Oh...and for anyone else insterested in this topic...I found a really nice write up with photos of a similar project here: http://www.swhowto.com/

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Two coax can be used for a number of different things. OTA antennas, Multi-room DVRs, security cameras, backfeeding modulated signals, etc.. IMO fiber in residential is a little overkill. Bundled/composite cable is nice but it comes at a premium. You'll probably pay 3X as much just to have the cable bundled.

Last edited by jerryh3; 10-10-2009 at 12:13 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Fiber is not overkill, especially if you are looking at installing 7.1 in the future, and want to also be able to provide for future tech's.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Fiber is not overkill, especially if you are looking at installing 7.1 in the future, and want to also be able to provide for future tech's.
7.1 to every room? Do you have any links for the bundled HDMI cables?

Last edited by jerryh3; 10-10-2009 at 12:51 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

If you wanted to. Otherwise, I would have it in just the media room where the projector is, and those rooms that if you wanted to pull from a central point. Check Parts Express, they have majority of the stuff out there avail. to the consumer public.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

I rebuilt my house and had everything down to studs. Pulled what seemed like miles of wire. 2x coax + 2x cat5-e (min) to every room + some additional lines to some other specific rooms. Everything "spoked" out from a central panel. The set up provides a lot of flexibility. Check out Home Tech solutions (Google it). They have a bunch of cool stuff as well as some online tutorials on "structured wiring for the home". I'm still trying to explain to my wife why we "need" all the wire.....she's slowly coming around.
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

if you are going to do internet and watch tv in you office I suggest you have to cable coax drops to that room. Splitting the signal before a cable modem to many times can affect the preformance of you internet. My suggestion would be to wire up the cable modem where you are homerunning all of your cables to and run ethernet cables from there.

Holt is offline   Reply With Quote