DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Cable question

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  gregzoll 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just installed a new cable signal booster; and it is powered by a 12 volt adapter that hooks to rg cable. So I need to run a new cable to the nearest power source (about 35 feet.) It should be no problem since the booster says it can be up to 200 feet away.

A while back I had taken what I thought was 500 feet of standard "cable tv" cable from a free item ad on craiglist. I never looked at it closely until today.

The cable has 2 braided wires running thru it instead of one solid wire. It also looks a little thicker than standard RG cable.

What is this cable? Can I use this cable for powering my new cable tv signal booster? I'm guessing not. How would I terminate it? I know how to terminate standard tv cable, but not this...

What is this cable meant for? I've also been thinking about putting a large roof antennae up. Is this 2 wire cable made for antennae? How would someone wire it for this purpose? I've got so much of it, I'd like to put it to use.

And while I'm asking, can anyone recommend a good value on a home roof antannae for HDTV. I am out in the country and want one that picks up distant channels. I don't care how big or ugly it is; but I don't want to spend too much. And would this antennae work with my 2 wire cable?

Thanks!
s

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You mean there is no such thing as a digital roof antennae? I have a digital antennae now, but out where I live I don't get good reception. My neighbor has an antennae on his roof that gets HD. I am just asking if anyone knows a good affordable digital antennae that will work up on my roof.

BTW I took a sample of that cable to my local Home store and none of the employees in the electrical dept knew what it was for. I bought some standard cable for my cable tv booster. I'd still be curious what that cable is good for if anyone knows.

Thanks,
s

#12 ·
Over the air viewing is still available

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html

They aren't about to shut off TV to millions of people who do not have cable etc

How Do I Receive Digital Broadcasts If I Don’t Subscribe To Cable Or Satellite?
If you receive only free over-the-air television programming, the type of TV you own, either a digital TV or an analog TV, is very important. Consumers who receive only free over-the-air television may view digital programming through a TV set with a built-in digital tuner (integrated DTV) or a digital-ready monitor with a separate digital tuner set-top box. (Both of these digital television types are referred to as a DTV). The only additional equipment required to view over-the-air digital programming with a DTV is a regular antenna, either on your roof or a smaller version on your TV such as “rabbit ears.”
If you have an analog television, you will have to purchase a digital-to-analog set-top converter box to attach to your TV set to be able to view over-the-air digital programming (see “What About My Analog TV?” below).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.