Which Brand Of Speakers Do You Like? - Home Theater - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Which brand of speakers do you like?

One of these days I plan on upgrading my home theater system. So I wanted to know what brand speakers you all like and why. I would like a smaller size speaker (small enough to mount on the wall or on a stand) and also one that won't cost a fortune (less than $1000).

Suggestions?

Advertisement

spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

It all depends on your room space. Small speakers are not always the best way.

I have a set of Klipsch RB-81 II's for my fronts, an RC-42 II for my Center, due to limited space on that shelf it sits on. A set of RB-41 II's for rears. I have no issues with needing a Sub-woofer, playing music, watching movies with my setup.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #3

Only reason I want smaller speakers are purely for aesthetic reasons. I like the look of smaller speakers mounted near the tv. If I hear some larger speakers that sound fantastic to me, I'm willing to get them!

I do like the Klipsch from what I've heard.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post
Only reason I want smaller speakers are purely for aesthetic reasons. I like the look of smaller speakers mounted near the tv. If I hear some larger speakers that sound fantastic to me, I'm willing to get them!

Do not waste your money on small speakers, because you like them for aesthetic reasons. Budget is the first thing. Why people feel that speakers should be out of sight, out of mind. That was why Bose and some others came up with the cheap crappy sounding cube speakers.

I use a Sound bar with a Wireless Sub for regular tv viewing. Movies, sports, concerts through my AVRS, which is a Denon AVR-1612 with the before mentioned speakers. It does its job. My room is 14x16, so with the RB-81's I do not need a Sub. I have them on speaker stands on the side of the tv.

If you are mounting your tv on the wall. There are decent slim style fronts and center for wall mounted tv's, that put out great mid's and high's. You would need a Sub for the fronts and also for the rears, which can be mounted up in the ceiling if you do not have walls to box in the listening area.

It becomes a lot more of trial by fire in finding what works best for you. When my wife & I were planning out our home theater. We went out to the local mom & pop A/V store, which has been in our town for over 35 years. Probably spent a total of 8 hours over a course of a couple of months, talking to them about our design, what we were looking for, cost for budget.

The 81's, RC-42, AVRS I ordered through Crutchfield. I could have gotten those two at the same price with no shipping from the local place. I really did not have the time though to run out there and pick up. So shipped all of that to my wife's work, which worked out great.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif View Post

i have the bose system , the 5 small speakers and the sub woofer ,it comes with all the cables for each speaker , long run's also ,it has all the sound you will need , been using this system for a few yrs and they sound real good my 2 cents
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
i have the bose system , the 5 small speakers and the sub woofer ,it comes with all the cables for each speaker , long run's also ,it has all the sound you will need , been using this system for a few yrs and they sound real good my 2 cents
Not the best system for hardcore music & movie listening. But it will work for those who like the Lifestyle system.

Only problem is that Bose limits what you can do, and how you can do it.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #7

I had a Bose system and while I did like it, I also felt I was paying extra $$$ just for the name. Right now my downstairs set up (primarily for movies) has Yamaha speakers, and they do okay. Upstairs (primarily for music) I'm using my old Pioneers I've had for over 20 years with 15" woofers. No subs needed with those!

I've checked out Klipsch and Polk and liked them, so I was curious what others are using.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

I have klipsch forte 2s and klipcsh chorus im only using an older Yamaha front, rear, center amp. also have a definitive technology 15 inch sub .

I like watching concerts on vhs or dvd and utube , sounds really good but its a lot of money, I bought it over a few years time piece by piece now I need a new amp but not sure what to get though its not a high priority at this point .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Not the best system for hardcore music & movie listening. But it will work for those who like the Lifestyle system.

Only problem is that Bose limits what you can do, and how you can do it.
i am feeding it with the harman kardon amp , am-fm and lot's of bell's you have to set up the amp system, you don't just plug it in, you balance the speakers when you stand in the center of the room with the remote it sences the remote i guess and balance's each speaker around the room, this unit it the highest end they make , sound very good , it has different sound's that you can get , up frount-auditorium theater setting and a few more , so it is not just a amp but the one that will be as loud as you want ,
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 95

honestly, whatever speaker sounds good to you. your ears, and hearing, are different than anybody posting here in response, including me. im not a fan of bose, but wont go into that.

just know that different types ( manufacturers ) of speakers have inherent qualities that influence how they sound. i've not been looking at AV gear for a while, so my input might be dated.

klipsch i like, but i like the older ( real ) ones. that being said i do have a center and surrounds i bought about 10 years ago, the R3II line, that i used for a while with my ancient and awesome KG4s. Klipsch can be too bright/forward for people due to their tweeter design. again, your ear will decide, and a good salesperson will be able to tell you what a speaker's general "attitude" is.

PSB, energy, NHT, all make quality speakers at what should be in your price range. i dont know about NHT, but the prior two both make systems designed for HT with minimal footprint. my neighbor has a samsung ( i think ) soundbar and sub, i have to say it doesnt sound bad, but i would not own one.

i listen to music as much as i do movies and such, and i have quite a bit of SACDs and DVDAs, so my current main speakers are catered more towards that with surround as an "afterthought". and while i think theyre some of the best sounding speakers ive ever heard, theyre out of your target price range.

if you go shopping, somewhere besides best buy and the like, bring CDs you know like the back of your hand, and listen to them. also be aware of whats being used to drive them....bryston monoblocks, tube amps, and say a marantz SS receiver will all give a slightly different sound. audition several brands and styles and let your ears tell you which way to go....it's actually entertaining auditioning speakers, you get to sit around and listen to music you like!
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 154

I'm a big fan of NHT. The sound is of these speakers is exactly what I think a speaker should be - smooth, clear, tight, but strong. The SB3 paired with a good subwoofer and strong receiver can't be beat for the price IMO.
strategery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
honestly, whatever speaker sounds good to you. your ears, and hearing, are different than anybody posting here in response, including me. im not a fan of bose, but wont go into that.
Yup, everyone likes their sound a little different. Me, I like a crisp, clear high range (probably more treble than others like), decent mids, and a solid low that doesn't distort. I find it gives me a good starting point to get feedback from others based on what they use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs
if you go shopping, somewhere besides best buy and the like, bring CDs you know like the back of your hand, and listen to them. also be aware of whats being used to drive them....bryston monoblocks, tube amps, and say a marantz SS receiver will all give a slightly different sound. audition several brands and styles and let your ears tell you which way to go....it's actually entertaining auditioning speakers, you get to sit around and listen to music you like!
I actually did that years ago in a Best Buy store when I was shopping for a powered sub. The music the store used to demonstrate their powered subs was a jazz cd, which had a relatively thin bass sound. So of course it sounded nice and clear. I handed them a CD which had a techno song with a very low, powerful synthesized drum beat. I told them I needed a sub that could carry that song without distortion. The funny thing was the more expensive sub they were pushing on me totally collapsed under that song, and the Infinity (that was $200 cheaper) had no problem!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 562

In order of preference.

Speakers:

B-G Corp

KEF

Sonance

Pinnacle

Subwoofers:

B-G Corp

Velodyne

KEF

Sonance

Pinnacle
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
Challenge Everything!

Rewards Points: 81

Klipsch all the way.
I'm afraid they will burst your Budget, though.
Cheers,
Deja-vue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deja-vue For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-31-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif

Yup, everyone likes their sound a little different. Me, I like a crisp, clear high range (probably more treble than others like), decent mids, and a solid low that doesn't distort. I find it gives me a good starting point to get feedback from others based on what they use.

I actually did that years ago in a Best Buy store when I was shopping for a powered sub. The music the store used to demonstrate their powered subs was a jazz cd, which had a relatively thin bass sound. So of course it sounded nice and clear. I handed them a CD which had a techno song with a very low, powerful synthesized drum beat. I told them I needed a sub that could carry that song without distortion. The funny thing was the more expensive sub they were pushing on me totally collapsed under that song, and the Infinity (that was $200 cheaper) had no problem!
I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add my 2 cents. I have had Bose products in the past ranging from three pairs of 301's, a pair of 901's and a pair of 501's. I also have one of their Wave Radios. Having said that, I will never buy another Bose product ever again. They sound ok at best, but when you compare them to other brands they quickly lose their mystique. I needed a new 5.1 system back in 1999 and auditioned a slew of speakers. After a couple hours I realized that I kept coming back to Definitive Technology speakers, and ended up buying a pair of BP2002 powered towers, a PF15 powered sub, a CLR2002 center, and a pair of Def Tech surrounds. They blow away anything that Bose sells, and are cheaper that some of the "Lifestyle" systems. Hard to believe that Bose prices those things so high. Anyway, the Definitives tickle my ears the way I like, and purchased a smaller 3.0 system for the front room. Got a pair of Definitive Tech Promonitor 800's and a ProCenter 1000. Exceptionally clear, smooth highs, great kids and tight upper bass. These need a sub though, if you want deep subterranean lows. They work fine just the way they are for my taste though.

Advertisement

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote