Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Any ideas on how to build an outdoor subwoofer?

Looking to build an outdoor subwoofer. Anyone have any ideas? I don't need it to be very large out of consideration of my neighbours, just something to pair up with my 80W outdoor speakers.

It will be on a covered deck (or under the deck on the ground, or between joists). Ideally I would build it passive, and have an amp (around 100-200W?) inside the house to power it. Looking at building it into a bench seat, or planter box perhaps to conceal it.

Just don't know where to begin to size the subwoofer, enclosure and what components are best for outdoor use, especially if I end up building a powered subwoofer (unless passive in my case is the only way to go?). Also looking for a 120V amp, most amps I find are for car stereos.

I could also buy one, but it may end up costing more vs. building myself? maybe not. Reason for the amp is that the receiver is only 130W, 65W per channel, so I didn't necessarily want to put the subwoofer on a crossover.

Thanks for the tips!

DIYguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,042

You're better off using decently sized speakers up on the wall instead. Let them push the bass.

wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 718

Check out www.partexpress.com for components ,ideas and maybe something to just buy without all the hassle of trying to figure it out.
DIY is great but sometimes it's easier to just bite the bullet.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

unfortunately I've already purchased the outdoor speakers from Monoprice, but am in Canada so returns are a hassle. Since the mini network receiver I have can only output 65W per channel, I'm not too sure how much bigger of a speaker I could put on the wall and if it would supply enough bass.

I checked out PartsExpress, but without much luck. They have a couple of outdoor subwoofer options, including this one: http://www.parts-express.com/tic-gs5...oofer--302-129 which could work, and then pair it up with a 100W home theatre amp (still have to source one).

Or I could get a subwoofer plate amplifier (much easier to find) like this one: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-802 and build a small enclosure for it to leave inside the house, and run speaker wire outside to a passive sub (either the one in the link above, or a DIY passive outdoor subwoofer). Does anyone see any problems with this type of setup? might be the cheapest option for an amp for a passive sub.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Bill Kearney

When you have the wrong stuff the solution generally is not found by adding more wrong stuff.

Monoprice? At least they were cheap. Now go buy the right kind instead. The key being the size of the speaker.

I've a set of Kicker KB600 on the patio and they deliver some pretty decent range.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-KB6000-indoor-outdoor-Speakers/dp/B0051BS28A[/ame]
Old 06-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #6

I've had good products from monoprice before, including their 5.1 premium surround sound system, so I figured the outdoor speakers would be good too, even based on their reviews. They're alright, but just not enough bass.

I suppose I could always go into a big box store and pickup some different speakers to try out and return them if they don't sound any better.

Here are some options if you happen to have any sound-quality knowledge on these speakers:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4f2b11ba5aen02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...09aee0d407en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...e7a0bc7c6den02

Last edited by DIYguy2000; 06-24-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Bill Kearney

It's all about the size of the larger speaker. Those first two are going to be just as weak as the ones you've already got.

Also note, the amp you drive it with will matter. A more powerful amp will drive it better without having to crank it up higher. I had my Kickers being driven from the 2nd zone of a Denon AVR. And then also direct from a Sonos Connect:Amp. The Denon allowed for more volume than the Sonos. But the usability sucked on the Denon (try getting the wife to do THAT dance with the Denon remote and zones... ugh).

I'll be adding an in-line amp to the Sonos instead. I mean, by itself the Sonos does drive them well enough to for background music (with decent bass). But for cranking it up it does get a bit distorted. Totally not the speakers, as I did a direct comparison playing the same source Pandora channel (which isn't exactly what an audiophile would consider a quality testament, by any stretch of the imagination). But it did show the speakers can deliver some really decent sound and handle a fair bit of power.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #8

I'll see if I can get a pair of the Kicker KB6000 then and try them out. I'm powering them from a Denon DRA-N5: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/page...s%28denonna%29

I wanted something small to keep in the kitchen (where I had to poke my speaker wires out to the deck), plus I'll be able to control it with an iPhone or iPad
Old 06-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #9

I have to disagree about it "all being about the size of the speaker"I spent years building tube guitar amplifiers and have a degree in electronics.Although not a expert on speakers have used thousands.
It is more about matching the speaker to the power and the efficiency of the speaker.I have built 300W bass amps using a single 8"
speaker that sounded great.
Check out some of the micro cube amps.
I know this is a guitar amp but you get my point.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy2000 View Post
I checked out PartsExpress, but without much luck. They have a couple of outdoor subwoofer options, including this one: http://www.parts-express.com/tic-gs5...oofer--302-129 which could work, and then pair it up with a 100W home theatre amp (still have to source one)..

That sub and the AudioSource AMP 100 should get you where you want, an do it on a tight budget.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6[/ame]
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I have to disagree about it "all being about the size of the speaker"I spent years building tube guitar amplifiers and have a degree in electronics.Although not a expert on speakers have used thousands.
It is more about matching the speaker to the power and the efficiency of the speaker.I have built 300W bass amps using a single 8"
speaker that sounded great.
Check out some of the micro cube amps.
I know this is a guitar amp but you get my point.
Typically when I hear "subwoofer" I think low frequency bass, as in below 80Hz and I think loud. To me a subwoofer is a device that reproduces 20-80Hz in the neighborhood of 120dB. Don't think a single guitar setup falls anywhere near this category. In fact I've never seen a guitar setup that had what I considered to be a decent sounding speaker in regards to reproducing material properly. They are designed as part of the instrument and therefore must have a certain sound, this isn't something you want when reproducing material. Don't think I'm bashing guitar speakers/amplifiers, I'm not. I'm saying they are completely different animals.

Not sure what the op is looking for but when I think "outdoor subwoofer" I'm not even sure where to start but I'm thinking 8 or 10 12" drivers fed with a ton of power. Maybe several 1KW amplifiers. Even then I don't see it producing low frequency very loud.

Anything done indoors often uses the room as part of the design, that's lost outside.

Maybe I'm way off in regards to what the op wants.
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ

Last edited by cj133; 06-24-2014 at 03:59 PM.
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #12

You are correct when speaking of guitar amplifiers.That's why I specifically spoke of bass amplifiers.The less thd the better for bass.
I simply disagrred with you saying the bigger the better .Not everyone wants to thump the neghborhood with 20-30hz at 120db.I don't think the OP wants to spend his nights in jail.
It would have helped if he would have given more info as to what kind of music he like to play but he did say he does not want to bother the neighbors.That gives me a clue .
I did a lot of sound for several different bands in my day and had a 8000W PA from triamped Crown power amps ,18" JBL subs and Yamaha mains with 15's and horns thru a 24 channel board.
Never went over 85db.
I understand the difference between live sound and stereo sound but you guys that think you need tons of power and large speakers to get a huge bottom end these days are just wrong.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
You are correct when speaking of guitar amplifiers.That's why I specifically spoke of bass amplifiers.The less thd the better for bass.
I simply disagrred with you saying the bigger the better .Not everyone wants to thump the neghborhood with 20-30hz at 120db.I don't think the OP wants to spend his nights in jail.
It would have helped if he would have given more info as to what kind of music he like to play but he did say he does not want to bother the neighbors.That gives me a clue .
I did a lot of sound for several different bands in my day and had a 8000W PA from triamped Crown power amps ,18" JBL subs and Yamaha mains with 15's and horns thru a 24 channel board.
Never went over 85db.
I understand the difference between live sound and stereo sound but you guys that think you need tons of power and large speakers to get a huge bottom end these days are just wrong.

Like I said, I don't know what he wants. I said what I imagine.
I also don't know where he is located. There are many people that can play loud music out side and don't have any neighbors close enough to hear it.

Keep in mind, no one ever hears my music. I'm extremely considerate when it comes to noise pollution.

"you guys that think you need tons of power and large speakers to get a huge bottom end these days are just wrong".

We were talking subwoofers, nothing else. All of my setups have been relativity flat from 30Hz-12KHz in the rooms they were setup in. If anything I prefer more midrange than bass.
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ

Last edited by cj133; 06-24-2014 at 04:07 PM.
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj133 View Post

Not sure what the op is looking for but when I think "outdoor subwoofer" I'm not even sure where to start but I'm thinking 8 or 10 12" drivers fed with a ton of power. Maybe several 1KW amplifiers. Even then I don't see it producing low frequency very loud.

Sonance LS87 SUB15 System.

This system WILL go low, AND loud. But it does retail at $11,000.00 without installation....

You REALLY should here one of these systems. It's a serious experience.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
cj133 (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
Sonance LS87 SUB15 System.

This system WILL go low, AND loud. But it does retail at $11,000.00 without installation....

You REALLY should here one of these systems. It's a serious experience.
This thread is really quite irrelavent in my opinion unless we know what type of music we are talking about. "WILL GO LOW AND LOUD" What are you listening to on it? Hip Hop-Rap,Country,Jazz.For that kind of money I'm sure it will do anything but I don't need that and I'm sure the OP does not either.I try to set up a system that will work well for the music I like.
I like jazz and blues which dictates a tight bottom end and clean top end but nothing that will bounce my house into the neighbors yard.