DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

2 Rim Joists on Sill plate with space between

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JasonPaul 
#1 ·
I am running wires for my surround sound. I am trying to run wires through the basement under an exterior wall. There are two rim joist on that wall but there is gap between them. I am able to drill down into the gap from upstairs when I remove the molding on the floor. Has anyone ever dealt with this issue? Any advice on how to find where I am from the basement in order to find the hole I drilled from upstairs? I found a similar post but the rim joist did not have a space between them.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/running-wires-basement-question-73381/

#2 ·
Just a thought, but possibly leave the drill in the hole and use a really strong magnet or a magnetic stud finder to locate the bit. With it being 1-1/2 inch thick wood that may be impossible. Another idea may be to drill another smaller hole from the bottom up thru the floor angled into the wall and push a coat hanger thru for reference. Measure off the coat hanger what ever distance is needed. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.