Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Home Theater

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

2 Rim Joists on Sill plate with space between

I am running wires for my surround sound. I am trying to run wires through the basement under an exterior wall. There are two rim joist on that wall but there is gap between them. I am able to drill down into the gap from upstairs when I remove the molding on the floor. Has anyone ever dealt with this issue? Any advice on how to find where I am from the basement in order to find the hole I drilled from upstairs? I found a similar post but the rim joist did not have a space between them.
Running Wires From Basement Question

JasonPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Just a thought, but possibly leave the drill in the hole and use a really strong magnet or a magnetic stud finder to locate the bit. With it being 1-1/2 inch thick wood that may be impossible. Another idea may be to drill another smaller hole from the bottom up thru the floor angled into the wall and push a coat hanger thru for reference. Measure off the coat hanger what ever distance is needed. Good luck.

SawdustBBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Thank you. I was able to find the coat hanger pushed through a hole upstairs. I only had to make two holes near the wall and two in the rim joist. I had someone shake the coat hanger violently while I had my ear against the rim joist.
JasonPaul is offline   Reply With Quote