Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic > Controversial Board Room

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Sterling and the Clippers

By now I think most of us know about the Donald Sterling who owns the LA Clippers and the comments he made regarding blacks.

My personal opinion....Sterling is a racist jerk (prior history proves that out)

V. Stiviano is a golddigger who set up Sterling (to which I think he deserves)

But...I have a real big issue with anyone making him sell the team. That concept goes against the fundamental structure of our nation.

We have the 1 Amendment which protects the free speech of a person

We have laws the prohibit a person recording a conversation between two or more people unless they all know it's being recorde.

A$$ hole Sterling exercised his 1st Amendment rights.....Stiviano violated recording laws.

If he is forced to sell....it opens up a really big can of worms.

It potentially means that if a business expresses a political 'lean' to it's position, someone could force them to sell their business.

So...I could go and claim that Coca Cola is biased and force them to seel the company to me.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (05-22-2014), Windows on Wash (05-22-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #2

I think its different because the NBA is a private franchise and the Clippers is part of that. So a better analogy that you forcing Coke to sell would be if one particular McDonalds store owner was being racist or discriminatory, McD' corporate might force that particular owner to sell to maintain the public image of McD's as a whole.

It does surprise me that no one has brought up the legality of the recording in the first place, guess it's a moot point now anyway.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

I guess nobody is questioning the legality as they may be considered a racist by association. Like defending a child molester etc it is a very touchy subject.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint
I think its different because the NBA is a private franchise and the Clippers is part of that. So a better analogy that you forcing Coke to sell would be if one particular McDonalds store owner was being racist or discriminatory, McD' corporate might force that particular owner to sell to maintain the public image of McD's as a whole. It does surprise me that no one has brought up the legality of the recording in the first place, guess it's a moot point now anyway.
Jmay...I'm asking the same question about the recording. In a court of law, the recording would be tossed out and the jurors told to ignore it. Basically, it didn't happen. She is saying she didn't leak the audio (yea, right).

We know he said it...he admits it....but in court....well...it didn't happen.

The McDonalds analogy is a good one.

But if nothing is done to her then we could really open up a can of worms. Basically saying that the unlawful recording only applies to law enforcement. Every one else can do what they want.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Its all BS and more representative of today PC and BS culture.

Can the NBA make him do it, legally I am pretty sure they can.

Should that transvestite girlfriend he had be sued and likely prosecuted...also yes.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16

Jmay...I'm asking the same question about the recording. In a court of law, the recording would be tossed out and the jurors told to ignore it. Basically, it didn't happen. She is saying she didn't leak the audio (yea, right).

We know he said it...he admits it....but in court....well...it didn't happen.

The McDonalds analogy is a good one.

But if nothing is done to her then we could really open up a can of worms. Basically saying that the unlawful recording only applies to law enforcement. Every one else can do what they want.

I agree. Seems like Sterling would have some civil recourse if nothing else, since he is being tried in the court of public opinion.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
24+ years of fixin'

My original question was whether the recording would stand in court. Since $terling didn't know he was being recorded, nor did he consent to it. the recording is dead.
Doesn't mean he doesn't have a jerk factor deeply ingrained in his hide though.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
JOATMON

According to this link

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/us/nba-sterling-legality/

He told her to record the conversations......no legal recourse there.