Liberal Universities... - Controversial Board Room - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic > Controversial Board Room

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Liberal Universities...

This is SO true....

http://townhall.com/columnists/larry...tion/page/full

A little excerpt

Quote:
"We wuz wronged" takes center stage over a basic understanding of economics, of the concept of federalism, and of the values that turned a struggling bunch of colonies into a political and economic superpower. Indeed, the very mission statements of many departments on UC campuses stress their commitment to activism for enacting social change, or to bring about social or racial or fill-in-the-blank justice.

Take the UC Berkeley history course that majors in that field must take, "The United States from Settlement to the Civil War." Its course description states its goals: "to understand how democratic political institutions emerged in the United States in this period in the context of an economy that depended on slave labor and violent land acquisition."

A conservative professor -- if there were any -- might offer an alternative version of American history: The British colonies defied the mightiest world power by demanding and then fighting for political and religious freedom. They conceived a radical document, the United States Constitution, born out of armed revolution, where for the first time in human history, the new, imperfect country said: "The people rule. Through our Constitution, which we have amended to ensure equal rights of blacks and women, we grant our government limited, non-intrusive powers. The rest is left to the people and to the states."
Ok...so now we have a second threat to our country....liberal professors...

1st...Meanscream Media
2nd...Liberal Professors (who teach the news casters....it's all becoming quite clear now)

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Liberal Universities...

I typically like to see where funding comes from in regards to motivation for "unbiased" reports.

interesting about the National Association of Scholars. admittedly, this is Wikipedia, but if someone can find a better source for discovering funding for NAS, I'd like to see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...holars#Funding

I do agree with some points NAS states, but not the ideology.

I think conflicting ideas need to be allowed to be viewed. right now in history, I think we are seeing a clash of "liberalism" and "conservatism" . I think this is good overall to keep the others in check.

and for both the quotes above, I don't see how they have to be alternative, or mutually exclusive.

People emigrated and reproduced in the new land where slavery and violent land acquisition were an important part of forming the political structure. Looking for political and religious freedom, an armed revolution broke free a new country from being ruled by another.

1) Media is the best tool for bringing the ugly things in our world to light. without media, good and bad, many bad parts of society would perpetuate and live on.
2) News casters tend to report based on the views of their employer, if they didn't, they would not be their long. hence, one always needs to be aware of bias based on not only a particular newscaster, but their employer and the climate of the locality, region and country in general.

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,250

Liberal Universities...

The idea of the University system in this country being left leaning is not really a disputed idea.

An overwhelming majority of professor and academic institutions in this country are massively left leaning.

I hope that technology destroys the institution of "higher learning". Kids and parents are overpaying for garbage and if you survey most college graduates about the basics, you will quickly find that they ill prepared (not to mention worldly ignorant).
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
JOATMON

Liberal Universities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post

and for both the quotes above, I don't see how they have to be alternative, or mutually exclusive.

People emigrated and reproduced in the new land where slavery and violent land acquisition were an important part of forming the political structure. Looking for political and religious freedom, an armed revolution broke free a new country from being ruled by another.
You need to research history....while slavery was a is a very embarrassing part of our history....it played very little into the forming of our political structure. I would suggest some reading up on the evolution of the US Constitution.

For a university to have a course like this...."to understand how democratic political institutions emerged in the United States in this period in the context of an economy that depended on slave labor and violent land acquisition" is about par to that the use of immigrant farm workers caused our failed foreign policy.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
bbo

Liberal Universities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
You need to research history....while slavery was a is a very embarrassing part of our history....it played very little into the forming of our political structure. I would suggest some reading up on the evolution of the US Constitution.

For a university to have a course like this...."to understand how democratic political institutions emerged in the United States in this period in the context of an economy that depended on slave labor and violent land acquisition" is about par to that the use of immigrant farm workers caused our failed foreign policy.
I think it played a small part in our political. and large enough to be considered a factor.

to simply dismiss based on ones opinions ( and that is what we are espousing here) is erroneous.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
JOATMON

Liberal Universities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo
I think it played a small part in our political. and large enough to be considered a factor. to simply dismiss based on ones opinions ( and that is what we are espousing here) is erroneous.
The topic of the course is talon king about the period from settlement to the covalent war.

Except for the immediate years leading up to the covalent war, I think you are going to be hard pressed to find any influence by slavery on the democratic development of our country.

If there is...then give us an example.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,176

Liberal Universities...

What is a covalent war? The last I heard the word covalent, it referred to a particular type of chemical bond that involved sharing of electrons between two atoms. I was not aware there was a war regarding chemical interpretation of bonding.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Liberal Universities...

Hmmm, my son is a professor at Berkeley. I don't think I would call him particularly liberal.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

Liberal Universities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Hmmm, my son is a professor at Berkeley. I don't think I would call him particularly liberal.
Ask him about his fellow professors.

I am sure he will admit to being in the minority if that is the case (if he is even a self identified conservative).
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
JOATMON

Liberal Universities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman
What is a covalent war? The last I heard the word covalent, it referred to a particular type of chemical bond that involved sharing of electrons between two atoms. I was not aware there was a war regarding chemical interpretation of bonding.
Civil War.....damned auto correct on my phone.....along with small screen....far fingers and eye site that is going.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 256

Liberal Universities...

Is this thread intended to promote a vibrant discussion, or promote a right wing revisionist history of the United States? Schools and for a large part, colleges tend to promote facts that do not happen to coincide with the "conservative" agenda. Hence, the branding "liberal" and justification to immediately dismiss the truth by making the source suspect.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IslandGuy For This Useful Post:
Arlo (03-16-2014), creeper (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #12

Liberal Universities...

To me the main difference between the two viewpoints, as described in the excerpt, is focusing on different aspects of history.. One not being necessarily contradictory the other,but rather a difference of opinion on what parts should be stressed..?....

I was given a 'conservative' education in public school. Details like the founding fathers were slave holders was not discussed or in the textbooks. Not to mention Christopher Columbus
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
Exterior Construction

Liberal Universities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
Is this thread intended to promote a vibrant discussion, or promote a right wing revisionist history of the United States? Schools and for a large part, colleges tend to promote facts that do not happen to coincide with the "conservative" agenda. Hence, the branding "liberal" and justification to immediately dismiss the truth by making the source suspect.
IslandGuy,

That is flat out wrong my friend.

Please read [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674059093/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative =9325&creativeASIN=0674059093&linkCode=as2&tag=chr iscmooneyc-20[/ame]

The book is written by a self-described liberal and he concludes (demonstrated in statistics) the far greater percentage of professors who identify themselves as Liberals.

You should probably get your fact straight before making broad accusations.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 256

Liberal Universities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
IslandGuy,

That is flat out wrong my friend.

Please read http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...riscmooneyc-20

The book is written by a self-described liberal and he concludes (demonstrated in statistics) the far greater percentage of professors who identify themselves as Liberals.
I'm not denying that. But is for good cause, as teachers and professors, on their never ending quest for knowledge and truth tend to identify with the liberal viewpoint, rejecting "conservative" theories based on the facts and data they discover. Theories like the poor CHOOSE to be poor, the homeless CHOOSE to be homeless, or that unchecked unregulated capitalism is a practical and fair solution, despite all the empirical and historical evidence to the contrary.

BTW, scientists are also "liberal."
Quote:

You should probably get your fact straight before making broad accusations.
My facts are straight. What I do not do is promigulate my opinion and pawn that off as fact, and expect others to simply accept that. A common tactic employed by so-called "conservatives" as evidenced on this very thread.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IslandGuy For This Useful Post:
Arlo (03-16-2014), creeper (03-15-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #15

Liberal Universities...

If there are more "liberal" professors and scientists, why would that be?

Is it perhaps related to the fact that the far right side of conservative thinking rejects scientific consensus....

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Arlo (03-16-2014), creeper (03-15-2014), IslandGuy (03-16-2014)