Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic > Controversial Board Room

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Exterior Construction

Share |

Gun Violence in America

What would be your recommendations for curbing the gun violence and gun deaths in the United States?

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Gun Violence in America

as per Chris Rock: charge $100 apiece for bullets.

creeper (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Gun Violence in America

Quote:
What would be your recommendations for curbing the gun violence and gun deaths in the United States?
Stricter enforcement of the gun laws that we have in place and put more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. However America is on a spiritual free fall which is a whole other topic. There was a time when things were better for us.

Last edited by av1611; 03-17-2014 at 03:49 PM.
av1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to av1611 For This Useful Post:
Bondo (03-21-2014), DH558 (04-10-2014), jbfan (03-17-2014), Windows on Wash (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Gun Violence in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
as per Chris Rock: charge $100 apiece for bullets.
Seen that routine and it was hilarious.

If you have been buying rounds in this country of late, they are more than triple as compared to 2 years ago on a bunch of calibers already.

I swear...I think the suppliers love this kind of tumultuous roller coaster pricing.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
JOATMON

Gun Violence in America

As someone who is in Law Enforcement....

I do not fear Joe Blow citizen who is carrying a firearm...as long as it is registered to him and he is trained on how to use it.

All the bad guys I come across with a gun? Well....they didn't get it legally.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ocon/guns.html

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...gal-guns/7869/

All the accidental shootings involving kids? Parents left the gun unsecured...and the kid was not taught how to use a gun....they only know what they see on TV. And on TV the guy shot gets back up to be in another movie.

I'm in favor of the 15 day waiting period...and very in favor of requiring owners to secure weapons....

And in favor of qualified citizens to carry concealed.

Look at the actual crimes being committed with guns....rare is the case where the suspect was legally allowed to have a gun.

It still amazes me that there is so much uproar over gun deaths when deaths from auto accidents is 3-4x that of guns.

1,542,000 people were injured in auto accidents...33,561 were killed. Of those killed, 10,321 involved alcohol.

http://www.rmiia.org/auto/traffic_sa...of_crashes.asp

Gun homicides in 2011 (same year for above auto stats) 8653....much less than total auto accident fatalities....and less than that involving alcohol...

Seems to me that people are worried about the wrong danger.

Lock up your guns...train your kids how to use them...petition your representative for the 15 day waiting period (including gun shows) and to allow concealed carry.

Remember......A criminal is not afraid of an un-armed person....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Cricket (03-17-2014), jbfan (03-17-2014), merlefrey (03-22-2014), oh'mike (03-18-2014), rossfingal (03-18-2014), The Jeep Driver (03-25-2014), Windows on Wash (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
JOATMON

Gun Violence in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Seen that routine and it was hilarious.

If you have been buying rounds in this country of late, they are more than triple as compared to 2 years ago on a bunch of calibers already.

I swear...I think the suppliers love this kind of tumultuous roller coaster pricing.
They do....not much different than the oil commodities market....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Gun Violence in America

Guns aren't the problem. Violent people are the problem. Get rid of all the guns and then what's next? Government secures all knives? What's next? Big clubs?
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
bbo (03-17-2014), DH558 (04-10-2014), srmfsr (03-18-2014), Windows on Wash (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Gun Violence in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
As someone who is in Law Enforcement....

I do not fear Joe Blow citizen who is carrying a firearm...as long as it is registered to him and he is trained on how to use it.

All the bad guys I come across with a gun? Well....they didn't get it legally.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ocon/guns.html

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...gal-guns/7869/

All the accidental shootings involving kids? Parents left the gun unsecured...and the kid was not taught how to use a gun....they only know what they see on TV. And on TV the guy shot gets back up to be in another movie.

I'm in favor of the 15 day waiting period...and very in favor of requiring owners to secure weapons....

And in favor of qualified citizens to carry concealed.

Look at the actual crimes being committed with guns....rare is the case where the suspect was legally allowed to have a gun.

It still amazes me that there is so much uproar over gun deaths when deaths from auto accidents is 3-4x that of guns.

1,542,000 people were injured in auto accidents...33,561 were killed. Of those killed, 10,321 involved alcohol.

http://www.rmiia.org/auto/traffic_sa...of_crashes.asp

Gun homicides in 2011 (same year for above auto stats) 8653....much less than total auto accident fatalities....and less than that involving alcohol...

Seems to me that people are worried about the wrong danger.

Lock up your guns...train your kids how to use them...petition your representative for the 15 day waiting period (including gun shows) and to allow concealed carry.

Remember......A criminal is not afraid of an un-armed person....
I agree with nearly everything here except the 15 day waiting period. I don't care personally at this point but wonder how the person who's life has been threatened would feel about the wait.

I am not saying agree or disagree, just wondering what the solution to that scenario is.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Gun Violence in America

People are inherently violent and that is just the way the world is. Goes back all the way to Cain and Abel in the Book of Genesis. Lots of murders with knives and clubs where I am and elsewhere. IMO the world is made up of 6 different types of people like animals or a wolf pack. ABCDEF, alpha, beta, Charlie, delta, episolon and Frank. Of those you got mentally ill, criminals, normal, passive, greedy, aggressive types of personalities and whatever behavior goes with the personality. Cannot change humanity. However I disgust these violent movies and video games and rapper garbage as it de-sensitizes kids to the point that they have no respect for anyone. As noted earlier death means nothing to them as everyone gets up in the TV show or movie unlike real life.

Last edited by yuri; 03-17-2014 at 05:27 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuri For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-18-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
bbo

Gun Violence in America

I have yet to see a gun be violet on its own. While it can be used a weapon to hurt and kill, many other things can as well. Legislating items out of existence will never work as long as there is something that one person can use to do harm to another. Guns may actually be a deterrent in some respects as it may deter other types ( knife/Stick/Rock, etc.) of violence is a perpetrator is unsure what their intended victim may be carrying.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Gun Violence in America

It seems that gun laws don't work. I can't find the article, but a friend in Australia sent me one with statistics of what happened there after they passed restrictive gun laws. The amount of violent crime skyrocketed.
We have open carry and concealed carry in Missouri. I think it makes us safer.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Bondo (03-21-2014), DH558 (04-10-2014), srmfsr (03-18-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Gun Violence in America

According to the FBI annual crime statistics, the number of murders committed annually with hammers and clubs far outnumbers the number of murders committed with a rifle.

This is an interesting fact, particularly amid the Democrats' feverish push to ban many different rifles, ostensibly to keep us safe of course.
However, it appears the zeal of Sens. like Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Joe Manchin (D-WV) is misdirected. For in looking at the FBI numbers from 2005 to 2011, the number of murders by hammers and clubs consistently exceeds the number of murders committed with a rifle.
Think about it: In 2005, the number of murders committed with a rifle was 445, while the number of murders committed with hammers and clubs was 605. In 2006, the number of murders committed with a rifle was 438, while the number of murders committed with hammers and clubs was 618.
And so the list goes, with the actual numbers changing somewhat from year to year, yet the fact that more people are killed with blunt objects each year remains constant.
For example, in 2011, there was 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs.
While the FBI makes is clear that some of the "murder by rifle" numbers could be adjusted up slightly, when you take into account murders with non-categorized types of guns, it does not change the fact that their annual reports consistently show more lives are taken each year with these blunt objects than are taken with Feinstein's dreaded rifle.
Another interesting fact: According to the FBI, nearly twice as many people are killed by hands and fists each year than are killed by murderers who use rifles.
The bottom line: A rifle ban is as illogical as it is unconstitutional. We face far greater danger from individuals armed with carpenters' tools and a caveman's stick.
And it seems fairly obvious that if more people had a gun, less people would be inclined to try to hit them in the head with a hammer.

"Of course this doesn't include handguns, but the push lately has been to limit rifle sales."

Last edited by rusty baker; 03-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Bondo (03-21-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM   #13

Gun Violence in America

12 posts and only I person actually answered the original question...although Yuri's suggestion would probably work.

"The high death by gun rate in the USA is driven primarily by the easy access to guns. If arming for self protection made you safer, then the US would be the safest country in the world. It most decidedly is not"

In this very interesting and informative video, an investigative news team discuss the gun craze in America. A large percentage of guns used in criminal activity are traced back to 3 gun stores. One in particular.

I wonder who is open minded enough to actually watch this

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Sho...ID/2333388170/
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
JOATMON

Gun Violence in America

The 15 day waiting period is to avoid the violence that results from spur of the moment emotions.

Even I have to wait 15 days. Which is fine with me....I can see no reason why someone must "Have it NOW"....

Someone that must have it now most likely caught their spouse with another person.....you would be surprised at what a few days waiting does.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
JOATMON

Gun Violence in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
12 posts and only I person actually answered the original question...although Yuri's suggestion would probably work.

"The high death by gun rate in the USA is driven primarily by the easy access to guns. If arming for self protection made you safer, then the US would be the safest country in the world. It most decidedly is not"

In this very interesting and informative video, an investigative news team discuss the gun craze in America. A large percentage of guns used in criminal activity are traced back to 3 gun stores. One in particular.

I wonder who is open minded enough to actually watch this

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Sho...ID/2333388170/
Easy access for people who are not supposed to have a gun in the first place.

As with anything else...if you have the money....you can get what ever you want.