Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 598

WiFi getting hacked?

I have had ATT U-verse for awhile now and have on several occasions found the wifi light on when none of my wifi devices are on. Motorola NVG510. I have changed all the the default settings and have hidden the SSID but it has happened again. Only thing I could do was turn of wifi. Is this a fluke or am I actually getting an intrusion. Nothing shows up in the device list that looks foreign. I am thinking the light may be on when no one is actually there. Any one know?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

WiFi getting hacked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
I have had ATT U-verse for awhile now and have on several occasions found the wifi light on when none of my wifi devices are on. Motorola NVG510. I have changed all the the default settings and have hidden the SSID but it has happened again. Only thing I could do was turn of wifi. Is this a fluke or am I actually getting an intrusion. Nothing shows up in the device list that looks foreign. I am thinking the light may be on when no one is actually there. Any one know?
go here and watch the video and it will tell you how to turn off wi-fi and other things on the NVB510 this is the one i am using . good luck also here is a google search fo other item's https://www.google.com/#q=turn+off+w...otorola+NVG510

Last edited by del schisler; 11-07-2013 at 08:45 AM.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 540

WiFi getting hacked?

Even if you have no devices on, your router will still be sending out a wifi signal. It has to be on all the time in order for your devices to connect on demand. If you have phones on wifi, they may be checking email from time to time as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

WiFi getting hacked?

As far as i know it is on all the time to allow you to connect a device at any time, like dj said. I have the same modem/router with AT&T U-Verse and the wifi light is always on and I live out in the country surrounded by corn/cotton fields with one neighbor across the street who has their own wifi signal.
Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

WiFi getting hacked?

Usually you can list the clients connected to a router, why don't you look and see if there are any connected that you don't recognize? You can also see the amount of data being used in one form or another. See if any data was transfered while you know you were idle.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

WiFi getting hacked?

Agreed, typically the "wifi" light on a router means that the radio is turned on. It doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is connected to it.

I think a better approach would be making sure to lock down your router.
I've found the best way is to do 2 things.

1.) Use a strong password for the admin login for the router itself (the default is EASY to find on the internet).

2.) Use MAC address filtering for allowing wireless connections.
AJPLeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

WiFi getting hacked?

MAC filtering and turning off the SSID are a false sense of security. MAC filtering only works, when you are using a Radius Server on your network, to manage who can and cannot connect to the LAN.

As for the Wifi light, if the unit is pinging for any available wifi devices, the light may flash on and off, or just stay on steady, depending on the unit.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

WiFi getting hacked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
MAC filtering only works, when you are using a Radius Server on your network, to manage who can and cannot connect to the LAN.
Not true. Many routers have built in tables for MAC addresses.

Quote:
MAC filtering and turning off the SSID are a false sense of security.
True. It's easy to clone a MAC address.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

WiFi getting hacked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post

Not true. Many routers have built in tables for MAC addresses.

True. It's easy to clone a MAC address.
Only if you have it. But first you have to have physical access to the network. There is a lot that goes into securing a Domain, unlike a home LAN, but again you have to be able to physically connect to the network in the first place.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

WiFi getting hacked?

Quote:
Only if you have it. But first you have to have physical access to the network. There is a lot that goes into securing a Domain, unlike a home LAN, but again you have to be able to physically connect to the network in the first place.
The OP is talking about a home network and his gateway supports MAC address filtering.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

WiFi getting hacked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
The OP is talking about a home network and his gateway supports MAC address filtering.
As I have already stated, MAC filtering gives a false sense of security, unless you are using a Radius Server, to control what is going on.

It should not have been brought into the equation, since all the OP was inquiring about was why their wifi light was on.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #12

WiFi getting hacked?

In my case the light only comes on when one of my two laptops (or both) is on and connected via wifi. When those devices are both off the light is normally off indicating there is no wifi connection. On three occasions I have found this light on when neither of my wifi devices are on. I check the modem/router page and the list of devices but it shows only my gizmos and whether or not they are on or off. If I run a refresh nothing else shows up. I have changed all the defaults to obscure stuff that isn't likely to be guessed and hidden the SSID so I can't understand if this is invasion or quirky behavior or the NVG510.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

WiFi getting hacked?

Do you have a smart phone? When I'm home my 4s is connected to the home network.

Most smart phones have that ability.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #14

WiFi getting hacked?

Wouldn't that show up on the list? Also, wouldn't the smart phone need the particulars of my wifi to connect? They are LG Xpression phones. (they suck)
Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

WiFi getting hacked?

Quote:
As I have already stated, MAC filtering gives a false sense of security, unless you are using a Radius Server, to control what is going on.

It should not have been brought into the equation, since all the OP was inquiring about was why their wifi light was on.
I and no one else here has any idea what you're talking about. This is a home router. It allows users to connect wirelessly by assigning them an IP via DHCP. The MAC filter says that only users with a specific whitelisted set of MACs will be given IPs, and thus allowed to connect to the network. You're way overcomplicating something.

MAC filtering gives a false sense of security because it's easy to spoof a MAC, but that's about it.

As for the OP's issue, if you don't see any unauthorized clients on the list, and your usage isn't abnormally high, I REALLY wouldn't worry about this. Are you sure the laptops in question are "off" rather than asleep? Maybe they have some low-power mode where they stay connected to the WiFi for WoL purposes or something. Or, it's possible your phones or some other device is just seeing the wireless and pinging it but not actually connecting and that causes the light to flash.

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (11-08-2013)