DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Wierd NIC issue (both wired and wireless)

6K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  C_J_GO 
#1 ·
I have a friends laptop that can not connect to the internet. So I connect to their wireless network with good signal. Open up IE and cannot connect even though I am connected to the network. Try wired connection, same thing. Bring the laptop to my home network, same thing. I can ping itself, the gateway, and my server. I cannot ping google, it does not even come up and say pinging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with 32 bits of data when I try to ping outside the LAN. So I figured its a setting. I made sure all checkboxes with the proxy are unchecked. All IP's are obtained automatically.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or any other ideas?

P.S I am using my home network right now so internet access works

#3 ·
First thing is see if your firewall is turned on. Go to your services in control panel > Admin Tools > Services and try shutting down the Windows Firewall and ICS service. Then try again. Google does allow you to ping your serves, but if you are not getting the message that you are attempting to ping an IP address, your DNS may not be able to look it up for some reason.

Try that, then report back.

#4 ·
are you getting a valid IP address?

169.xxx.xxx.xxx is not valid

Do an ipconfig /all from the command prompt and let me know what is displayed.

1. I would start by powering off the router for a few seconds
2. Check the NIC for a static IP. lots of companys set up static IPs on computers but not usually laptops.
3. Does this computer get on networks elsewere?

Like the above poster stated, the firewall may be blocking things. especially if it's a Symantec/Norton crap product.

#5 ·
Alright, i stopped the firewall/ICS service and it still cannot hit the internet. Pinging all the same with the same results.

Wire NIC is disconnected
Wireless NIC
IP: 192.168.1.108 (it is DHCP)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IP Adress: fe80::214:a5ff:fe69:da7a%7
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers: 216.16.0.2 and 216.16.0.4
Leased Obtained August 6th expring on August 7

Then it shows 2 tunnel adapter teredo tunneling pseudo-interfaces
-Not sure what these are

#10 ·
Ok, so your getting a valid IP from your router.

Open your internet explorer and select Tools/Internet Options/Connections TAB/LAN Settings button/ Make sure nothing is selected in there.

Was this computer ever on a Novell network?

Ok, bad DNS I see above

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

also did you unplug the router yet?

#12 ·
Try an ipconfig /release, then run ipconfig /renew and see if you pull any different DNS configs.

Go to your network properties and chose look at your TCP/IP properties for your wireless NIC, is the option check to pull DNS from the DHCP server? or is it set statically?
Power cycled router, flushed and registered DNS without any errors. The computer I am using right now is using the same DNS obviously without any problems.

The IP and DNS are set to obtain automatically.

#16 ·
ok, I just saw that you have a server. does that handle all your DHCP and DNS?
No it is an FTP and webserver. My Linksys wireless G router handles the DHCP and DNS.

I am starting to see some other things happening. a few weeks ago I saw the anti-virus had disappeared, but I thought one of the computer-illiderate uninstalled it. So I re-installed and now just noticed Office is now gone. Starting to sound like hardware failure? Is the next step to crash and re-install XP?

#17 ·
sounds like spyware

sounds like your host file has been hijacked along with lots of other things

I would do a system restore.

Start/Programs/accessories/tools/system restore

run it back prior to any problems you have had. If that doesn't work, back up the data and reinstall XP.

Once spyware is on there is usually easier to back up the data and reinstall then to mess with it.

Get
My documents
Favorites
If you use outlook export your mail to a PST file and save that.
If you use outlook get the NK2 file
Data that may be written to the root of C
Data you may have on the desktop

Grab a case of beer and sit back and watch the paint dry or windows load... about as boring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.