Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Updated Network setup

Changed over from ATT UVerse (25/3) to Comcast/Xfinity (50/10, actually speeds are 58/13). Here are the details for anyone looking at going with the same type of gear:

Cable Modem - Motorola/Arris SB6141
Router - TP-Link TL-R600VPN
Switch - Netgear GS108 10/100/1000mbps Desktop switch. A Trendnet 5 Port TEG-S50g 10/100/1000 desktop switch upstairs for DirecTV DVR and Sony BDP-S590 Blu-Ray player.
NAS - Lenovo ix2-4 2TB
UPS - APC UPS XS - 1250VA, 740 Watts, 120V, 340 Joules, (BN1250G)
POE Injector - Engenius EPE-5818GAF Power Injector for Engenius Wireless Access Point

Access Points on my network is a Engenius ECB350 300mbps, 29dBm High Power for Wireless-N only devices, also a Trendnet TEW-638APB for Wireless-b/g devices.

IP Cameras on my network are the following: Trendnet TV-IP751WIC, Foscam FI-8905W (Outdoor), Foscam FI9821W, Foscam FI9826W. All images saved to the Lenovo ix2 NAS.

Miscellaneous gear is DirecTV for TV, 3 Nest Protect CO/Smoke detectors, 3m-50 WiFi thermostat with MyCloudBeam Wireless-b radio in it, Ted5000 for Energy monitoring, HP Officejet 4500 series Wireless printer.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Network setup-img_1013.jpg  

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-26-2014 at 07:41 PM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Updated Network setup

Changed out the TP-Link TL-R600VPN router for a Cisco RV-320 Router.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Network setup-photo.jpg  

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

Updated Network setup

That looks like your basement?
Would it not be better to locate the router in a more central location? I have mine on the main floor at about the center of the house. I seem to get a slightly better (more balanced) wireless reception that way. I don't use the ports on the router. I just have a single cat 6 from the router to a gigabyte switch located in the basement. Everything else runs off the switch.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Updated Network setup

He has 2 separate Wireless Access Points - so they are likely in locations for wireless coverage, and the router is-not-used-for/does-not-have WiFi.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Updated Network setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
That looks like your basement?
Would it not be better to locate the router in a more central location? I have mine on the main floor at about the center of the house. I seem to get a slightly better (more balanced) wireless reception that way. I don't use the ports on the router. I just have a single cat 6 from the router to a gigabyte switch located in the basement. Everything else runs off the switch.
That is a central point. All of the Wireless is upstairs. Even when I had U-Verse. I still had good coverage when the gateway was down in the basement.

One A/P is in our back Bedroom. The other A/P sits on top of a speaker in our Living Room.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Updated Network setup

I changed around the equipment again. Put the Cisco RV-320 back on the Network as my Router. It is set up in DMZ Plus with the U-Verse Pace 5031 Gateway.

Only three of the six Ethernet runs are in use at this time. I am getting 25/2 with U-Verse on the profile they have me on. I could get 56/12 if they opened my connection up to what my Max User Rate is showing.
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Network setup-fullsizerender.jpg