DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Networking (http://www.diychatroom.com/f11/)
-   -   Router with USB for printer port (http://www.diychatroom.com/f11/router-usb-printer-port-133670/)

Michaelpro 02-14-2012 12:22 AM

Router with USB for printer port
 
Looking for a new router as mine is crapping out on me. I want something with a USB port so I can hook my printer up to it.

Bonus points for ADSL on the router.

Anyone have experience with a unit in their home?

gregzoll 02-27-2012 07:14 AM

There is no router out there that I know of, that has a print server built in, nor do you want a combo unit that includes the modem for the type of service you have. Your best bet is to get a network capable printer, that is either wired, wireless, or both. As for the router, Linksys, the newer Netgear's are most of the widely chosen units.

hyunelan2 02-27-2012 09:28 AM

As was said above, I don't know of any routers with a USB port for network printing. It will probably be cheaper to buy a network print server than a new networked printer.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Server-...uct/B000FW60FW

This does not do anything for routing, just turns your USB printer into a network printer.

raylo32 02-27-2012 01:30 PM

There certainly used to be routers with printer ports though I haven't looked for that function in awhile to know if any current routers have it. My original Siemens SpeedStream .11b router had one (I think it was an old parallel port, tho).

If you can't find a current router that has one and want to keep your existing printer you can get a wireless printserver like the Netgear WPS 606 or somesuch. I used one of these for may years. It has printer USB ports and is also a wireless bridge so you will have 4 ethernet ports wherever you place it to connect other devices like PCs or even a wired ethernet printer.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WGPS60.../dp/B0007OWNCC

gregzoll 02-27-2012 01:43 PM

The old routers with ports, were so that you could hook up a dial-up modem for backup. There has never been a router out there, that had a port for a printer. Especially in the consumer market. Business maybe, but only a couple that I can think of, and they were for Token ring, so that the router could print a report if errors happened, or you could use a printer terminal to talk to it.

To add, Zyxel had a Wifi router a few years back, that had a printer port, but it was in their SoHo line, and not a bug seller.

raylo32 02-27-2012 04:40 PM

I say again they certainly did have (at least one!) routers with a printer port. I bought it specifically for that feature so I could locate the printer in a central spot and use it from multiple PCs. This was from just about the beginning of wifi... and I still have it. I kept it for posterity, I guess. I'd sell it to the OP but I seriously doubt he would want to go back to B speeds and WEP security, and there are plenty of easy ways to do what he wants with modern devices.

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...2/DSCN0086.jpg


http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...2/DSCN0089.jpg


http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...2/DSCN0090.jpg

raylo32 02-27-2012 05:39 PM

Michael, a quick search found this router that appears to have what you are looking for. There may well be others out there, this is just the first one I found.

quotes from the blurb on Amazon:

EZ All-inOne Printer Sharing - USB Port
Plugging in a USB All-in-One printer, you can share both printing and scanning functions among all networked PCs.


http://www.amazon.com/RT-N13U-Wirele.../dp/B002LITY24

gregzoll 02-27-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raylo32 (Post 864999)
I say again they certainly did have (at least one!) routers with a printer port. I bought it specifically for that feature so I could locate the printer in a central spot and use it from multiple PCs. This was from just about the beginning of wifi... and I still have it. I kept it for posterity, I guess. I'd sell it to the OP but I seriously doubt he would want to go back to B speeds and WEP security, and there are plenty of easy ways to do what he wants with modern devices.

And how old is that? That sucker came out in 2002, when manufacturers were making for businesses routers like that, due to home Internet was just starting to become a boom, as people were changing over from Dial-Up. You still have a few on dial-up, but not the numbers as was back in 2002.

They soon found out, that they were not big sellers, and as I stated before, they stopped soon after with them. Also, can you please edit the post with the pictures, and resize them, by clicking on each picture, and using the mouse to resize.

gregzoll 02-27-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raylo32 (Post 865049)
Michael, a quick search found this router that appears to have what you are looking for. There may well be others out there, this is just the first one I found.

quotes from the blurb on Amazon:

EZ All-inOne Printer Sharing - USB Port
Plugging in a USB All-in-One printer, you can share both printing and scanning functions among all networked PCs.


http://www.amazon.com/RT-N13U-Wirele.../dp/B002LITY24

Keep in mind, not every printer will work 100% with most devices like that, especially a lot of All-In-One printers. That is why you are seeing more all-in-ones that are wifi or wired capable. We just changed out our old Officejet 5610 for a new Officejet 4500-G510n-z, which works great, and does not need to be hooked physically to a computer, or the network, due to it is a wifi printer. That is why I suggested to look at another type of printer, to the OP, due to what they are looking for, is going to cause headaches possibly, when they find out that not all of the printer functions may be 100% compatible with these print-server combo's, or may not work at all with one of these devices, so it is buyer beware.

Not good reviews on it at the cnet.com review http://www.cnet.com.au/asus-rt-n13u-...-339298696.htm

raylo32 02-27-2012 06:03 PM

No, after I said I had one this is what you said: "There is no router out there that I know of, that has a print server built in" and "There has never been a router out there, that had a port for a printer."

In fact there have been many and there are still some out there. Not saying this is the "best" way to go, but it is definitely an option. It made sense for me once upon a time when I had my printer where the router lived. Not so much anymore since I have rearranged everything. It is a good concept and might continue to make sense for a few folks. And it was exactly the question the OP asked.

Yes I got that Siemens when it came out... I thought it was earlier than 2002 but I really don't recall. Not marketed as a "business" device that I recall. I just found it reviewed in PC Mag or PC World and saw that it had the print server and I was in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 865058)
And how old is that? That sucker came out in 2002, when manufacturers were making for businesses routers like that, due to home Internet was just starting to become a boom, as people were changing over from Dial-Up. You still have a few on dial-up, but not the numbers as was back in 2002.

They soon found out, that they were not big sellers, and as I stated before, they stopped soon after with them. Also, can you please edit the post with the pictures, and resize them, by clicking on each picture, and using the mouse to resize.


raylo32 02-27-2012 07:02 PM

For the OP: to confirm what Greg said these print servers may not be a perfect solution. I used the Siemens print server for a few years with an Epson and Cannon, then switched to a USB printserver on a Western Digital network hard drive. I always managed to get the printers working though the install was often a tad difficult depending on the OS at the time.

But the main thing that bothered me was that printers designed for USB connection usually do not report back (status, ink levels, etc.) to the PCs when connected via these kinds of printservers... at least the vintage of printers that I was using. So you might have to monitor ink levels on the printer. Used to be a real PITA with my Cannon i850 trying to interpret light flashes.

I have since gone to true network printers, one wired and one wireless so I get full 2-way functionality. But the printserver might work for you depending on your printer and what you expect out of it. As they say, there are lots of ways to skin a cat...

raylo32 02-28-2012 10:21 AM

2 more higher end choices of routers with USB port printservers:

Netgear WNDR 3800 and WNDR 4500 models both have Readyshare USB printer ports.

Michaelpro 02-28-2012 10:39 AM

Wow lots of great ideas guy. I have never seen a router with a parallel port built in haha, awesome!

Found this guy. $22 after a rebate, not a bad deal in my opinion.

raylo32 03-01-2012 07:54 AM

Yes, that Siemens was one of the first available consumer wifi routers. I got it not long after switching from dial-up to cable broadband when I got a laptop and a plug in wifi card. Back then pretty much all printers either were just parallel or had both parallel and USB ports. So I guess that's why Siemen's went with that. I am about 2 or 3 generations of routers past that now.

Did you get the ASUS router? I have several ASUS devices in my gaming PC (motherboard, DVD/R/RW drive, monitor) but I have never tried one of their routers. If so, I hope it works out for you. As for those other routers I listed... I currently have a Netgear WNDR 3700. It does not have the print function like the 3800 and 4500 but works well as a router. Good throughput and nice firmware/interface. Not sure if the ASUS will be up to the same standard.... but it is cheap.

Michaelpro 03-01-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raylo32 (Post 867286)
Yes, that Siemens was one of the first available consumer wifi routers. I got it not long after switching from dial-up to cable broadband when I got a laptop and a plug in wifi card. Back then pretty much all printers either were just parallel or had both parallel and USB ports. So I guess that's why Siemen's went with that. I am about 2 or 3 generations of routers past that now.

Did you get the ASUS router? I have several ASUS devices in my gaming PC (motherboard, DVD/R/RW drive, monitor) but I have never tried one of their routers. If so, I hope it works out for you. As for those other routers I listed... I currently have a Netgear WNDR 3700. It does not have the print function like the 3800 and 4500 but works well as a router. Good throughput and nice firmware/interface. Not sure if the ASUS will be up to the same standard.... but it is cheap.

Yeah I have to wait for it to show up on my doorstep though. It has pretty positive reviews from several different sites. Fairly affordable compared to some comparable brands out there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved