Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need wireless for five acre

I am a maintance person for a large condo complex. My homeowners would like to have wireless acces on the property. One supplier said go with 8 DSL,s one says 2 DSL,s router 8 transmiters. Whats the right way

Last edited by Tride; 08-17-2006 at 10:56 PM. Reason: no answer please remove mesage
Tride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:32 PM   #2

there are a few options depending on your situation.

You could feasibly run as many wireless units off of 1 broadband connection. You could branch all the wireless units off of 1 DSL connection. But depending on your prediction of usage, that may bog down the conection of the DSL itself.

All in all it depends on how many "units" you have that want access, and what their usage will be. If it will be limited to e-mail and general browsing you could easily run everything off 1 connection, but if you start streaming video and everything that teenagers love to do these days you'll have to split it up.

Remember that when you run more than 1 wireless in the same area, you need to configure them so as to not interfere with each other, and plan your layout so that you minimize "dead spots".

just need a little more info before suggesting anything especially how far you need to stretch between units and such.... wireless doesn't transmit forever. depending on position and antenna on the access point, you may not get too far for each unit. and that may be a deciding factor as well.

Last edited by slhfire; 08-21-2006 at 11:35 PM.
slhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 PM   #3

I have 101 condos they are about 1/3 short term rental 1/3 long term rental 1/3 owner use only. I have been told 2 DSL,s with some switch should be ok.the property is 440' square three building. I another person told me 4 transmiters mabye 5 (corners & center) does this sound right. or should I hire a pro one bid 12,000.oo plus and they havn't looked at the sight
Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #4

the 5 unit method should work well, it should eliminate dead spots. You should be able to manage with 2 DSL connections. When you install, just see if you can leave room in your install to add another DSL connection if you find the connections getting to bogged down. (Or consider cable instead of DSL)

Last point, remember to think 3 dimentional when you install, not just the horizontal coverage of the units (which is generally the most obvious), but your vertical coverage regarding the antena if you have multiple story units or if you intend on doing basment installs. Most units will cover 3 stories of residential without too much loss, but if you get into metal and slab work in commercial types, it gets cut down a bit.

Good luck.
slhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #5

thanks slhfire I think I've got it when my board (boss) decides what we do I will post how it worked.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:28 AM   #6

hey tride, so u have 3 buildings. if you need speed you should opt for T1 internet(expensive) also depends on ur location and provider. but you could use 2 dsl if speed don't matter, 768/kbps each line is not bad. then u could use one router/switch, 3 wireless router, 3 wireless access point(wap). 2 access point per building. IF its too slow, get another dsl line, then u could have one dsl line per building, you could use 3 dsl modem, 3 wireless router, 3 wap. total of 2 access point per building. the modem connect to the wireless router then to the wireless access point. then u setup the access channels, security, and you could block/ unblock connections, add restrictions, time limits. you/ the boss are in control. whats ur budget?

Last edited by justtired; 09-02-2006 at 05:31 AM.
justtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #7
Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Hey Tride,

I use to be a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) until I sold out my half of the business a couple of years ago. Here's the scoop on what you're gonna be looking at.

#1 There is ADSL and SDSL. ADSL is what the phone company typically gives you. It's pretty junky. SDSL is faster and more reliable, and also more expensive. Not a lot more, but a bit. Will you be 'reselling' the access? If so, you will definately have to go with SDSL because if the phone company finds out...

Cable is much faster, but again, they don't like their bandwidth resold. Most of the SDSL providers don't care what you do with it. A T1 is way over kill unless all your tenants will be using it at the same time. It'll run you $500-$1000 a month depending on your rurality. SDSL you should be able to pickup for <$100.

#2 You will want a good wireless router. Don't go with some cheap D-Link that you'll always have to reboot and fool with. Get a Cisco or one of the other better brands.

#3 Since I'm not there to give you a site survey, it's tough to say exactly what you'll need, but bare in mind that you can usually add Access Points and you can always amplify an antenna. Generally, you'll want a router, and a switch. Your access points will connect to the switch, which will in turn, connect to the router. The router will connect to your cable/DSL modem. Security is an issue. Again, get a good router.

Any more questions, just ask. I'm subscribed to this thread, so I'll see it and respond more quickly.

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:17 PM   #8

Ken I manage 112 condos each indaviguly owned. The H.O.A. home owners assosiation wants to broadcast internet accsess to all condos.I came up with three ways to do this 1 ask someone that provides hotels,2 ask a ISP to bring it in 3 set up like home,they went with set up like home (it was by far the cheapest) we will set 3 dsl 7mg 1 in each building then set computer,routers & amplifiers as required. I hope this works the equipment is on the way.

Last edited by Tride; 09-21-2006 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-21-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
Contractor

Breaking it up and treating it like 3 individual LANs will be a bit easier and actually benefecial for several reasons. If you have a problem with a router, for example, it'll only effect one building. You'll be able to configure everything so that you can manage remotely, either by getting in through the Internet (external) or if you are in close proximity, you can setup wireless access. The three routers could be bridged together at some point, if you want. That way if lots of people are in building 1 and happen to be accessing the Internet, and nobody's home in building 2 and 3, it'll 'share' the bandwidth. That's for after you get your MCSE though.

Ken Walker
Old 09-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

You may want to look into getting a network device to put between the "internal" network and the DSL connection to do QoS and bandwith shaping. This will let you restrict certain types of traffic to prevent one resident from using up all the bandwidth downloading things off BitTorrent or similar, to keep things fair for everyone.
NothingsLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Contractor

Any good quality router should let you do that. You can block ports, limit bandwidth, and often even limit access hours. LinkSys or Cisco are great choices. I realize of course that your routers are already on their way. If you tell me what you got, I'll look at what they can do and let you know.

One thing you might consider, since you're likely to amp anyway, will the system be 'open' or will you do some time of access restriction to prevent 'war drivers' from pulling in the parking lot and doing what black hats do best?

Ken Walker
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #12

The routers are linksys , I get my DSL,s Thursday. They will be open untill we have a problem. I think the bridge thing one the DSL,s sounds like I may want to try but first I needs to get it up and running I think.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 PM   #13

I installed the routers and they are working ok.I will have to install some repeters now. My new question is do I need computers at these router sights I have them, but will have to run wire from the router to hook them up as there is not a good place for them where I put the routers.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
Contractor

At this point the routers are not connected together, correct?

Couldn't you just use a laptop with a wireless connection and an ethernet adapter? Normally, you'd just use the wireless connection, but incase something went wrong, you'd want a laptop with a standard ethernet adapter so you could plug it in.

Are the routers in a cool place? If they get hot, you'll have problems.

Ken Walker
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #15

The routers are in the hall ceiling. The halls are not heated and high temp. in summer may exceed 95 deg. 5 days of the summer (elev.8750') My tech guy said the desk top computers are so we can expand later? I think the lap top is the tool I need but before I resale the desk tops I need to know what the pro side of keeping them. I thank you for all the help