How To Setup SB6183 Modem With DIR-655 Router On Comcast - Networking - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,258

How to setup SB6183 modem with DIR-655 router on Comcast

Comcast says my old modem (surfboard 5101) has reached end of life and is no longer supported. I was forced to get a new modem. I now have the Motorolla SB6183 and cannot get the D-Link DIR-655 wifi router to work with it. I really don't know everything about setting it up, and everything I try does not work. I've spent about 3hrs now failing, googling, and failing more. With my old modem, I remember I had it up and running right away, but I don't know what I did. That was about a year ago.

So, here's where I stand. SB6183 works. With just the SB6183 connected to my PC, I can get on the internet just fine. But, when I connect the ethernet cable from the modem, to the router, and router to my PC, I get nothing. The cables are connected exactly the same as they were with my old modem. The auto-setup in the router doesn't detect an internet connection. Trying to manually configure it is where I get completely lost because I don't understand what some of the terms used are, or where to find that information.

Can somebody give me a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this work, or link me to something that will? I am at the point where I am ready to return the SB6183, ditch the DIR-655, and just get a modem with WIFI router built in.

Thank you for your help.

Advertisement

r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 816

Unplug both the mode and router. Plug in the modem. Wait a minute then plug in the router. Should be good to go after everything has powered up.

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 728

1. Can you connect direct to the modem with a crossover cable (no router)?
  2. Can you get into the router with your browser using http://192.168.100.1 as the URL?
Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Unplug both the mode and router. Plug in the modem. Wait a minute then plug in the router. Should be good to go after everything has powered up.

If that model is supported by Commie cast this is your best answer.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHair View Post
  1. Can you connect direct to the modem with a crossover cable (no router)?
  2. Can you get into the router with your browser using http://192.168.100.1 as the URL?
Quote:
Modem is supported by Comcast and this does not work. Modem works fine when connected directly to the PC with no router. When connecting the router, I can get to the 192.168.0.1 page.

I've followed the instructions in the manual on setting up the router and have gotten nowhere. I've even updated the firmware on the router and have done a factory reset each time my attempts to set it up fail.

Pretty much, I have internet going into the router, but nothing coming out. At least that's what it seems like.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

When you connect your PC to the router is it via WIFI or cable. Do you know if your PC is setup for DHCP or a static IP address.

If you've factory reset the DIR-655, it should connect to the modem and start working without any setting changes. However if your PC is set for a static IP address, it would prevent it from connecting. I tend to believe your PC is set up for DHCP since it works when you connect it to the modem.

Are you certain the cable from the modem to the router is plugged into the WAN port of the DIR-655?
Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

One additional thing to try.
Connect the router to the modem and reboot everything including your PC in the following order.
1) Modem
2) Router
3) PC

Once everything is up, hit the windows key + R. It should open up the "Run" window. Enter cmd and press enter. It should open up a black window. Type in: ipconfig /all and press enter. Look for a line that says IPV4 or IP address. Let me know what it says.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
When you connect your PC to the router is it via WIFI or cable. Do you know if your PC is setup for DHCP or a static IP address.

If you've factory reset the DIR-655, it should connect to the modem and start working without any setting changes. However if your PC is set for a static IP address, it would prevent it from connecting. I tend to believe your PC is set up for DHCP since it works when you connect it to the modem.

Are you certain the cable from the modem to the router is plugged into the WAN port of the DIR-655?
Internet comes in through the wall and connects to the modem with a coax? type cable. From the modem, an ethernet cable goes to the routers WAN port. From the router's LAN ports, an ethernet cable goes to my PC.

This router has wireless and is what I use to connect other devices through Wifi. Everything was working fine until I had to replace the modem.

Quote:
One additional thing to try.
Connect the router to the modem and reboot everything including your PC in the following order.
1) Modem
2) Router
3) PC

Once everything is up, hit the windows key + R. It should open up the "Run" window. Enter cmd and press enter. It should open up a black window. Type in: ipconfig /all and press enter. Look for a line that says IPV4 or IP address. Let me know what it says.
Did that. I see both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

Thank you for your help.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #9

Is the IPv4 address something like 192.168.0.xxx? If it is, that means your PC is connected to the router successfully.

Can you log into the router and look at the Status tab. Look at the WAN section and see if it shows an IP address. Don't reply with the entire address.
Then look further down and let me know what is says for Default Gateway and Primary DNS server.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #10

Your cable company can troubleshoot the modem from their end. They can do this over the phone while you wait. They will walk you through the steps. If they can see your router then the modem is proven working and you narrow your problem way down
Old 09-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #11

Cable company is the one who told me the original modem was bad. They said that it had reached end of life 2yrs ago, is no longer supported, and that's why my internet wasn't working. I never thought to check the router at the time and just replaced the modem. With the new modem activated on my ISP account, the router wouldn't work.

I have come to the conclusion that the router is bad. I tested with another router, and was online and working in minutes. Now I am wondering if my original modem was still good and the router was the entire problem in the beginning.

I've learned more about networking than I thought I would ever want to know just from so many failed attempts with the bad router. Thank you for the help. All is good now.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #12

IMO, If your old modem was a single stream unit the upgrade was worth the cost when using more than one device or streaming. My satisfaction level increased dramatically when I went to the dual stream unit.

Some older routers can not coexist with new modems. I don't know why.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:59 PM   #13

It's possible the DIR655 went bad. I've burned through 2.

Advertisement

Tags
dir-655 , modem , router , sb6183