Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > PC Repairs & Upgrades > Networking

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2004, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Network Help

Hi, I keep running the network setup on 2 pc's on my home network and it never works. I can't see the pc's on the network. I am using a linksys, 4-port wired hub and a linksys router. I have no problem going on the internet.

Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Home Network Help

Make sure in your network settings that you have print and file sharing enabled. And then you will most likely need to show something as shared on each pc. You can do that by right clicking the folder and click Sharing - you'll be able to enable it there.

hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:02 AM   #3
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Home Network Help

Is the router wireless? Is it a g?
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:14 AM   #4

Home Network Help

That's what I have setup in my home Teetorbilt. So far it's worked like a champ.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Home Network Help

Oh yeah make sure you have at least one folder "shared" also. One other thing make sure both computers share the same network name. For some really stupid reason windows XP always wants to rename your network MSHOME when ever you run the configuration utility. This screwed me up really bad once until I realized windowsXP was doing it.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #6

Home Network Help

If you are running Windows XP, the network setup wizard will setup up a XP firewall by default. You will have to disable the XP firewall on each computer before they can see each other. Good Luck
netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:29 PM   #7
Contractor

Home Network Help

Hatchet, that's what I'm running, Lynksys wireless g. Compaq desktop and Dell laptop. Haven't had a problem yet. 'Yet' being the operational word. :D
Old 03-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #8

Home Network Help

Just about the same setup. I have my Dell desktop hard wired to the Linksys Wireless G - and card in Dell laptop. No issues yet - except for one with Comcast.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
Contractor

Home Network Help

Hatchet, I'm an older guy and somehow sitting around the pool, soaking up rays with your laptop and cellphone defeats my concept of work. I like it but it somehow feels wrong. I'll have to get over that. LOL
Old 03-16-2004, 05:41 AM   #10

Home Network Help

LOL.. give it a little more time - it won't be too difficult.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #11

Home Network Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet View Post
LOL.. give it a little more time - it won't be too difficult.
XP is sometimes slow and needs time.... but there is something you can do to force it to immediately find the computer over the network and open it as a network resource in a window. after it does that it will remember it in the future.

first do all the previous suggestions (sharing enabled, same workgroup name for both computers, each computer on LAN having unique name, etc.)

For example, assume you have two computers on your LAN. One is named'BERT' and one is named 'ERNIE'.

open a Run window (Start -> Run) and enter the name of the remote computer preceded by two back slashes on the Open command line, like this:

\\ERNIE

\\BERT

a network window should open showing all the shared resources of the remote computer. you can also use the same method to open a network window showing the shared resources of the local computer you are using.

kamzoil is offline   Reply With Quote