Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Roofmaster

Share |

Ztr

Im starting to itch for a new mower, and thinking ZTR. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that wont make me rip off my leg to pay for it? I have just over an acre of nearly flat property. I want one that rides well, as I am 66 and do not have a young back.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Ztr

What's the max you want to spend?

djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Ztr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I want one that rides well, as I am 66 and do not have a young back.
Then you really don't want a ZTR. Even the best of the commercial grade will ride you hard especially at the speed you need to go to make owning one worth it.

Better to take another hour at the slower speed on a riding mower.
Or break up the job some, like split it out over two days, or do all the slower edge and obstacle work in the morning and the broad flats after lunch.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Ztr

Quote:
Im starting to itch for a new mower, and thinking ZTR. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that wont make me rip off my leg to pay for it? I have just over an acre of nearly flat property. I want one that rides well, as I am 66 and do not have a young back.
A ZTR mower is going to be rougher than a tractor-type mower. Not horrible, but it WILL ride rougher.

That said, if you're talking new, you have to figure on spending at least $3,000. Some can be had for about $2600, but when you add tax, you're near 3.

Look into the Cub Cadets that they sell at TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I'd recommend staying away from any they sell at Home Depot or Lowes. There's nothing wrong with the mowers, but they offer NO service, and don't even carry parts.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Ztr

Quote:

I have a little back trouble also,and went ahead and bought one because they said it would cut the mowing time in half,well they were right and i'm glad i did it,doesn't give me any back problems in the two years i've had it.

I bought a Toro 42 inch, check these guy's out free shipping and no tax.

http://www.wisesales.com/lawn-mowers...rn-mowers.html
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #6

Ztr

I might take a look at the Raptor Hustler $2799 with 36" deck I have used 2 36" ZTR Ride ones - 3 48" Walk behind Hustler - 60" Scag Tiger 60" Deere 60" range.. Exmark 48" and various others, Hustler pulled through. I have flipped two of the 36" Hustlers so I would def. recommend a walk behind w/velky however if your never going to be on hills then a ride on is fine..

I do have to say that the bigger you get the better the ride will get.

However, the mowers can be really responsive and comfortable if your yard is taken care of well.
nohoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Roofmaster

Ztr

Thanks to All. I really dont care about after purchase service as I service all of my equipment myself. I kind of thought that the bigger the drive wheels the better the ride, so I was looking at the the Ariens Z series that HD sells with the heavier deck, and yes wise sales looks really good and has good rep and free shipping. I have owned a Simplicity 44 inch Broadmoor since 96 and it has really been a great machine, but Its hard to justify the bucks for another Simplicity. (The Broadmoor was $4200 in 96) I spoke with a guy last night that recommended I check with the large landscaping guys that turn over commercial machines fairly often. He bought an Exmark, but I know they are big money, and by the end of the conversation he said he had an oil leak in the engine. May or not be serious, we were kind of in a hurry. I saw a 54 inch Husky Tractor with large rear wheels for 2900 last night at Lowes and it looked good I also saw the new Hybrid at Lowes which looks very interesting. I'm gonna check it out closer in the next couple of days.

Thanks to you all for your time.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
MarginallyQualified

Ztr

Quote:
I have owned a Simplicity 44 inch Broadmoor since 96
and it has really been a great machine...
What's wrong with it (aside from being 17 years old)?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Roofmaster

Ztr

To be honest with you, Nothing. I have maintained it well, but at 44 inches it takes quite a while to cut my 1.25 acres. It does need some paint, but that's no big deal. I actually just replaced the main drive belt last year, the darn thing lasted 16 years, and the reason it failed was because a plastic idler bearing burned up. I replaced the idlers too. The new ones are galv steel, not plastic.

Considering the fact that I am retired and have more time than money, I may just keep using it. My 10 year old grandson is about 5 ft. now and ready to mow too. OOOO My Back!

Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
MarginallyQualified

Ztr

Quote:
Considering the fact that I am retired and have more time than money, I may just keep using it. My 10 year old grandson is about 5 ft. now and ready to mow too.
If it ain't broke...
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Ztr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
If it ain't broke...
..."fix" it until it is!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote