What To Do? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 586

What to do?

The right side of my 13 yr old toro ztr went out. I chose not to replace it bc it would cost me more than what I paid. I know have this mower and don't know what to do with it.

I figure I could always post on CL and see if I can get a couple hundred bucks, or part out.

The thing is that the engine is fairly new (4 yrs or so) and everything but the right side hydro is fine.

I've already got something new, but wondered about converting this to a go kart or something else "fun". Any ideas?
FWIW- I should add that it was going to cost $1500 to replace and over $600 to repair, so my budget is under that amount.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 782

What to do?

Sounds like a great time to learn how to repair a hydraulic motor.

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #3

What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Sounds like a great time to learn how to repair a hydraulic motor.
I've considered this, but even the service tech said I could dump a couple hundred into it and still be at the same spot.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 782

What to do?

I would at least do an autopsy to further my understanding of hydraulic motors. But I do stuff like that mainly to get out of doing real work.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #5

What to do?

Do you have any idea what I could sell it for on CL? Obviously it's an expensive fix, but I'd assume its worth something.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

What to do?

Selling it on CL is a crap-shoot.

If you're going to go that route, spend an hour perusing CL in various cities, looking for mowers exactly like yours. You might find a starting point. The bottom line, though, is that you MIGHT get a couple hundred bucks out of it.

Good luck!
DrHicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What to do?

I know a guy in Iowa, not far from Omaha, that will take the the structure of the thing off your hands.

His family grows acres, and acres, and acres, and acres of non-edible corn. Some for corn syrup and some for ethanol. You or your pet cow bessy could not eat the corn grown directly.

My guy has a graveyard full of engines and things he pieces back together. Ethanol has eaten most rubber and plastic parts. He makes some really cool super fixed John Deere lawn tractors.

He does alright putting machines back together. When he has time not growing fuel that will kill them. He understands the total boombdoggle irony of his situation.

Dr. Hicks will come unglued again but I swear, you cannot run ethanol through a small engine.

- Steven
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I know a guy in Iowa, not far from Omaha, that will take the the structure of the thing off your hands.

His family grows acres, and acres, and acres, and acres of non-edible corn. Some for corn syrup and some for ethanol. You or your pet cow bessy could not eat the corn grown directly.

My guy has a graveyard full of engines and things he pieces back together. Ethanol has eaten most rubber and plastic parts. He makes some really cool super fixed John Deere lawn tractors.

He does alright putting machines back together. When he has time not growing fuel that will kill them. He understands the total boombdoggle irony of his situation.

Dr. Hicks will come unglued again but I swear, you cannot run ethanol through a small engine.

- Steven
I'm already unglued. Have been for years.

...and I ran ethanol through John Deere mowers for a decade, doing commercial lawn-care, without one single ethanol-related problem. So it can be done.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I'm already unglued. Have been for years.

...and I ran ethanol through John Deere mowers for a decade, doing commercial lawn-care, without one single ethanol-related problem. So it can be done.
But Hicks I know you took care of the equipment and did not let fuel sit anywhere in it for long?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
But Hicks I know you took care of the equipment and did not let fuel sit anywhere in it for long?
Right. Due to the amount of work we did, the mowers always had fresh gas in them.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 34

What to do?

Take it apart and see how it works, you might find that it is a simple fix and you can repair it.

If not take the rest of it apart and sell the pieces on ebay.

Advertisement

crf731 is offline   Reply With Quote