Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Want to tune up my mower

I mowed for the first time of the season yesterday and after spending 20 mins picking up sticks I pushed the mower to the front yard. On the first pull of the string it broke off while the entire neighborhood was outside watching. It was all frayed so I was expecting it to break anytime anyway.

Then I had to spend 30 mins rigging it with a steal cable I had in the shed. Mower actually started right up after that so all was fine. My yard gets very dusty while mowing and it tends to clog up the air filter pretty often. I managed to mow the entire front yard on one tank of gas which is typical. When I got to the back yard the mower just cut off. I cleaned off the air filter and it started back up. Then it mowed a little while and cut off again. Tried air filter again but i couldn't get it to start again.

I think it needs a tune up but not sure what all to do. Also need to put a new string on it but not sure how. It's a husquavania push mower with self propel. Sometimes when I pull the mower backwards one of the front tires just drags. Is that easy to fix?

Last edited by nikeman; 04-12-2013 at 08:54 AM.
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,370

Want to tune up my mower

About all the newer mowers need is to change the air filter and spark plug.
Did you leave in the old gas at the end of the year? Or let it run out before storing it?
More often then not the carberator will need to come off and be cleaned out with carberator cleaner.
If you can run nonethenol fuel in it you'll have far less problums.

As far as the recoil starter I've never worked on your brand before but some manufacturers have now made the it impossible to just change the rope, you may have to replace the whole housing.
Even if you can remove it this is one job I'd have a dealer install the new rope.
Sounds silly but trying to wind up that spring and get it back together is enough to pis* off the Pope.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 544

Want to tune up my mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeman View Post
I mowed for the first time of the season yesterday and after spending 20 mins picking up sticks I pushed the mower to the front yard. On the first pull of the string it broke off while the entire neighborhood was outside watching. It was all frayed so I was expecting it to break anytime anyway.

Then I had to spend 30 mins rigging it with a steal cable I had in the shed. Mower actually started right up after that so all was fine. My yard gets very dusty while mowing and it tends to clog up the air filter pretty often. I managed to mow the entire front yard on one tank of gas which is typical. When I got to the back yard the mower just cut off. I cleaned off the air filter and it started back up. Then it mowed a little while and cut off again. Tried air filter again but i couldn't get it to start again.

I think it needs a tune up but not sure what all to do. Also need to put a new string on it but not sure how. It's a husquavania push mower with self propel. Sometimes when I pull the mower backwards one of the front tires just drags. Is that easy to fix?

If it started up and then quite after it had been mowing I'd check the spark plug. Most times you don't need to replace it, it might just be loose. I had a mower where the spark plug would come loose and pop off causing it to stop and start. Spark plug would be a cheap fix or at least worth a try.

If that's not it, I'd agree it might be a carb issue. You could get a product like Seafoam and pour an ounce or so into the carb and let it sit for a few minutes. It's gonna smoke at first, but it does help get some of the gunk out. Seamfoam in your gas works too.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Want to tune up my mower

Lube the wheels if they are dragging. You might want to pull them off and clean up any accumulated rust.

Sounds like a possible fuel line problem if it was running fine and then started cutting out on you. You might have sucked a piece of debris or corrosion from the tank into the fuel line and you may have to clear that. Could have a failing plug I guess but that is unlikely. Obviously if cleaning the air filter helped that is a potential source of the problem.

Other than that, Joe is right. There is not much you should have to do. Sharpen and balance the blade if it is due. I always liked to give the blade a couple passes with a file after each use (spark plug wire disconnected for safety). Drain and replace the oil if you have not already. WD40 all your linkage.

The cornbelt will be all over me again but ethanol is hard on small engines so as Joe suggests see if you can get fuel without it. You can buy purer fuel in cans but it is outrageous. Usually a boatyard will have ethanol free fuel.

And those starter assemblies where you cannot replace the pull cord make me very grumpy.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Want to tune up my mower

It had a good tune up either last year or the end of the year before. The oil was changed, new filter, new spark plug, and blades sharpened. I left the tank about half full last year and topped it off before starting this year. I prob need to sharpen blades since I hit small sticks and pine combs all the time in my yard. Ill look to see how hard the string will be to replace. Hell, it works good with the steel cable so I might just leave it like that. Who cares what it looks like as long as it cuts the grass right? Lol

I'm thinking ill change the oil, filter, and spark plug before I mow again. I will see if I can get the carburetor off to clean it also.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Want to tune up my mower

Don't forget to check the gap on the plug. They usually come close to what they should be but not always.

In the future, you really should not use fuel that has been sitting in the tank like that.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Want to tune up my mower

Didn't see all the other replies. Thanks guys.

So I can put the seafoam in the gas tank and that will clean out the carb? Or will the just clean out the tank? They usually have seafoam at auto zone correct?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #8

Want to tune up my mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
Don't forget to check the gap on the plug. They usually come close to what they should be but not always.

In the future, you really should not use fuel that has been sitting in the tank like that.
Lesson learned on old gas. This year ill be sure to let it run dry. Would like to keep this mower a while.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Central State Mower,LLC

Rewards Points: 10

Want to tune up my mower

Yes, either running the mower out of fuel or adding a fuel stabilizer (such as Sta-bil) is the best thing you can do for your mower at the end of mowing season.

Ethanol fuel is bad about gumming up carburetors and breaking down rubber parts in your mower's fuel system...especially after it sits in the fuel tank and carb. all winter.

CStateMower is offline   Reply With Quote