Verdict On Rechargeable Electric Mowers? - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Verdict on Rechargeable Electric Mowers?

We just downsized to a smaller house & yard and I'd like to do away with storing gasoline in the garage. Am interested in electric mowers. Used several corded ones at different times in my life. The two I had during the '90s seemed vastly inferior to what I'd used 20 years earlier...both burned up the motors quickly working in grass that didn't seem all that high to me based on my earlier experiences. Now there's a crop of battery powered mowers that seem to get very promising, but very tentative, reviews that have caught my eye. Not much on the 'net in the way of "how good are these types of mowers in general"...more comparisons between individual models of cordless mowers. Anyone here had experience with these or any thoughts to share on them?

Thanks

Advertisement

Gs320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 3,644

I keep wishing my gas mower would die so I can get an electric one.

Neighbor has one. He typically gets two cuttings per charge. He is quite happy with it.

I just sent him a text to find out the brand. I'll check back when I know.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
JOATMON

Just heard from my neighbor....Craftsman

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
John

Rewards Points: 102

Wait until you have to have a battery replaced.
Also,using it even one time in damp/wet grass,and it will start giving problems.
By the way,if you're charging it,and the charger fails or there's an outage, it can cause what is known as "half life " failure.
Because it only charged part way,when you go to recharge it,you may find it has "memorized" the half charge,and may not take a full charge ,again.
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD367 View Post
Wait until you have to have a battery replaced.
Also,using it even one time in damp/wet grass,and it will start giving problems.
By the way,if you're charging it,and the charger fails or there's an outage, it can cause what is known as "half life " failure.
Because it only charged part way,when you go to recharge it,you may find it has "memorized" the half charge,and may not take a full charge ,again.
Those are myths and statements without any factual backing.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 612

x2

Lithium ion batteries don't have a memory, so you can charge them whenever you want.

I've been researching them a bit, and they look promising. No more corded toys that won't cut a 4'x4' patch, they are close to gas mowers in power. Plus they are all part of a system, so the same batteries on the same brand will power a weed eater, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and whatever else they offer.

Ryobi, Kobalt, and EGo were some good ones. EGo seems like the more premium brand, it's 56 volts compared to 40 like the others, and it's a bit more expensive. But it does get reviewed the best.
Mort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
John

Rewards Points: 102

Sorry,but all batteries,can develope a "memory".
I've worked on outdoor power equipment for 15+ years,and I've seen it happen,even with the Lithium batteries.
JD367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 616

The only complaints I've heard about modern rechargables is range, so if your yard is small enough to handle it I say go for it. A buddy of mine has had one for a relatively big yard for a few years now and couldn't be happier.

Advertisement

TheBobmanNH is online now   Reply With Quote