Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |

Toro string trimmer tips

Hi All,

I recently picked up a string trimmer, a Toro 2 cycle for 179 @ Home Depot. It seemed like it was the best one they offered that wasn't an Echo, which I was not willing to cough up 300 dollars for (I have a .17 acre lot). The string that came with it was pretty crappy, and got jammed often. I have a few questions.

Why was the straight trimmer 40 dollars more than the curved one? It seems like the curved would be more complicated?? i had a gift card so I got the straight one, I assumed there as a good reason, but I can't figure it out.

Any recommendations on string for next time? It takes .95 line.

How should I store this thing? Standing up or lying down? The manual did not specify.

The one bad thing that came up on the HD website for reviews is that people were losing their fuel line due to ethanol eating through it. I plan on only mixing a tank of gas/oil at a time, and using the whole tank each time, any other tips to avoid losing the fuel line?

This one is a power head/attachment set up, and I noticed they have tiller, hedge clipper, and pruning attachments, all of which I could use. Are these normally any good, or would I do better to just buy an electric hedge clipper?

teamcampreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #2

Toro string trimmer tips

That $300.00 echo must have been a commercial machine,should have bought the $199.00 echo.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...#/?c=1&36i=36i

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Toro string trimmer tips

Bump
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Toro string trimmer tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcampreder View Post
Hi All,

I recently picked up a string trimmer, a Toro 2 cycle for 179 @ Home Depot. It seemed like it was the best one they offered that wasn't an Echo, which I was not willing to cough up 300 dollars for (I have a .17 acre lot). The string that came with it was pretty crappy, and got jammed often. I have a few questions.

Why was the straight trimmer 40 dollars more than the curved one? It seems like the curved would be more complicated?? i had a gift card so I got the straight one, I assumed there as a good reason, but I can't figure it out.

Any recommendations on string for next time? It takes .95 line.

How should I store this thing? Standing up or lying down? The manual did not specify.

The one bad thing that came up on the HD website for reviews is that people were losing their fuel line due to ethanol eating through it. I plan on only mixing a tank of gas/oil at a time, and using the whole tank each time, any other tips to avoid losing the fuel line?

This one is a power head/attachment set up, and I noticed they have tiller, hedge clipper, and pruning attachments, all of which I could use. Are these normally any good, or would I do better to just buy an electric hedge clipper?
The "drive" on a curved-shaft line trimmer is basically a long spring - kind of like a speedometer cable. The straigh-shaft trimmer will have a gear head on the end.

Typically, the straight-shaft trimmers are built a little heavier. Also, some people like the way you can reach under bushes & trees a bit better.

I cannot say, from experience, whether the attachments are worth buying. Typically, one tool cannot be made to do too many jobs, and do them well.

Regarding the line that came with the trimmer... It's kind of like the tires that come on new cars. Typically, they are crap. Buy a spool of good quality line, and enjoy.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
teamcampreder (07-21-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #5

Toro string trimmer tips

I suppose that when you look at them, it makes sense to store them horizontally, but wall space being what it is, I have a Ryan curved shaft trimmer that is over 20 years old, and an Echo straight shaft timmer that is close to 10 years old, both of which I have always hung vertically, head up, engine down, and have not had any problems with either one. Like DrHicks, I haven't tried any attachments on either of mine, but, as he said, most tools have an intended purpose, and once you step out of that purpose, you often sacrifice something. Fuel wise, like you, I have heard a lot of problems purportedly caused by ethanol, and it seems to me that a lot of it comes from larger metropolitan areas, which I don't know is because they use a higher percentage of ethanol there, or if it is simply because there are obviously more people per square mile, hence more pieces of equipment and subsequently more complaints, but I have honestly had very few fuel related problems with my mowers, trimmers, chain saws, or anything else. The one thing that I would say is to try to stick to your plan of mixing just what you will use, not that I necessarily do, and, again, it hasn't caused me any problems, but you asked. The problem with mixing too much at a time, as I was told by a friend who has a lawn equipment sales and service business, is that the gasoline will evaporate out over time, effectively changing the mix ratio.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Toro string trimmer tips

I somehow missed the ethanol comment the first time I read the OP.

For what it's worth, when my sons & I were doing a lawn mowing service, we lived in a state where E10 was mandatory. Obviously we ran it in all our equipment. We never had any fuel-related problems that aren't common to all small engines.

I think that part of what happens is when people run into a typical maintenance issue - a primer bubble disintegrates, for instance - they blame it on ethanol, when the truth of the matter is that everything wears out eventually.

Also, it's likely that we went through enough fuel that it never sat long enough to "go bad."

You're far more likely to have trouble with a line trimmer, as a result of getting your fuel/oil ratio wrong.

Good luck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

Toro string trimmer tips

What a diff a little bump makes (although I hate doing that). Thanks a million guys!