Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

Soaking an air filter?

I have an Echo backpack blower.
I just noticed the manual says to use 89 octane. I have run it for years on 87. Think it matters?

I originally wanted to know about the air filter, but I just bought a new one; they won't let me delete this post.

Thanks

Last edited by Toller; 10-16-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Soaking an air filter?

Normally I suggest following the manufacturer's recommendations, but I've seen that before too on some things, and still run 87 octane in my power equipment. For all I know, it may shorten the life of them, but you couldn't prove it by me.

I did see your post earlier, but couldn't log in for some reason, so, as for the air cleaner, which I assume is a dry foam one, I replace them once they show any tears, but otherwise wash them out with water and Johnson's baby shampoo. Someone told me a long time ago that shampoo in general, and this one in particular did a good job cutting oil, so I tried it, and it works. Rinse it out, let it dry, or, since you already bought one, put it with your spare parts. Spark plug cleaning I don't do any more, with small engines in particular. For a few bucks, you're better off to replace it. You can clean the crud off of it, but you're not going to polish the surface to what it needs to be for a tiny spark, nor are you going to replenish whatever precious metal is on the tip.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 2

Soaking an air filter?

I love echo blowers. I run the highest octane I can run. When my echo will not start on the first pull, i look into the problem.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Soaking an air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
I love echo blowers. I run the highest octane I can run. When my echo will not start on the first pull, i look into the problem.
I bought it used, pretty beat up, 5 years ago. It always started on the second pull.
Yesterday, while replacing the gas filter, I found it had a primer bulb! Imagine how easy it will start now.

It says to replace the carburetor years. I presume that is for someone who uses it all day every day, which is the same as 30 years for me...
But how easy is it to replace the carburetor? Can someone who found the gas filter a challenge do it?
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 2

Soaking an air filter?

Place by me has a big tupperware bin and they let me just match up the parts that I want. My stuff is always obsolete. With a steady hand and a brand new razor I can rebuild carbs most of the time. If you have a walbro carb you can order the kit online and rebuild it your self. Depends how cheap you want to be. Most people just drop a few hundred dollars and get something brand new. And with echo, that is still a good way to go. Properly rebuilding and adjusting a carb is not real hard. You have to set the neddle and seat(float). Then adjust the high and lows. That may all be tamerproff now, so not sure. Try and buy the whole carb and bolt it on with a new fuel lines
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

Soaking an air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
I bought it used, pretty beat up, 5 years ago. It always started on the second pull.
Yesterday, while replacing the gas filter, I found it had a primer bulb! Imagine how easy it will start now.

It says to replace the carburetor years. I presume that is for someone who uses it all day every day, which is the same as 30 years for me...
But how easy is it to replace the carburetor? Can someone who found the gas filter a challenge do it?
Replace the Carb??? That is BS, as long as it is running OK, just keep the air filter clean, and spray it with some carb cleaner once in a while.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote