how do i set the point gap on my 1972 10hp briggs? thanks.
What model is the engine?
Normally, you'd set the gap at .020"
1. Rotate the crankshaft until the the points are wide open.
2. Insert your feeler gauge.
3. Loosen the bolt on the condenser and slide it until the gap is correct. You can use a screwdriver to move it if you have to.
4. Tighten up the bolt
5. Rotate the engine a few times and double check the gap.
If you are tired of dealing with points there is an "upgrade" available. It replaces the ignition coil.
i was not thinking... it's not a briggs. it's a kohler K241. the points are mounted to the outside of the engine. is an upgrade available for this engine as well?
That changes things a bit. No worries :thumbsup:
The gap is still .020.
1. Take off the cover and disconnect the spark plug. Rote the engine until the points open their widest.
2. Check the gap. To adjust, loosen the top screw and move the base of the points with a screwdriver blade until the gap is correct.
3. Tighten all the screws and replace the cover.
To verify timing:
You'll find a "timing sight" hole in the blower housing or the bearing plate. It might have a cover - remove it.
Turn the engine over - the way it usually rotates, you should see either an S or SP mark (with compression release) or a T (without). The points should just begin to open then. If it opens early, narrow the gap a little, to .018. If it opens late, widen the gap to .022.
There are upgrades. Try this site: http://www.kirkengines.com/
i will give this a try. i wont be doing this for about another few months though. it's still snowing and blowing here in Pa. i'll let you know how things turn out. thanks for your help, and the link you posted.:thumbup:
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.|
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.