Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Share |

Old Coast to Coast riding lawnmower

Hello everyone,
I'm being offered a free Coast to Coast riding lawnmower. There are a few things that need to be fixed on it, but the thing runs and sounds good. I'm not looking to spend too much money on this thing, just enough to get it mowing.

I don't even know what year this thing is.LOL. between 90 and 95.

First is the V belt I think needs a .625 x 69.28. They are around 25 bucks to buy. But I seen .5x69 for like 9 bucks and I don't have to order it. Would there be any issues using a slightly smaller belt?

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
I'm being offered a free Coast to Coast riding lawnmower.
I don't even know what year this thing is.LOL. between 90 and 95.

There are a few things that need to be fixed on it, but the thing runs and sounds good. I'm not looking to spend too much money on this thing, just enough to get it mowing.

First is the V belt...
First is a service manual with parts diagrams and descriptions.

(It's another of the many private label mowers MTD has made)
http://www.outdoordistributors.com/mtddoor.htm

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

It probably won't seat in the sheaves correctly, so it may slip. Slippage means wear, so it may not last long.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
First is a service manual with parts diagrams and descriptions.

(It's another of the many private label mowers MTD has made)
http://www.outdoordistributors.com/mtddoor.htm

Thanks TarhellTerp, that is where I was checking for parts on this mower. You found it pretty quick, took me awhile to find it.

As for longevity of the belt, right now I don't care. I just want to get it going and see if it can cut decent. If it doesn't cut that well, I'm thinking about taking the deck off and then use it for pulling a dethatcher and maybe see if it can be hooked up to a plow.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
As for longevity of the belt, right now I don't care.
I just want to get it going and see if it can cut decent.
If you already have the spare belt to waste.. then sure.
But if you're gonna spend money to buy... then buy the right one.

If it doesn't cut that well, I'm thinking about taking the deck off...[/QUOTE]
and checking the pulleys and spindles and blades.
Sharpen the blades then level the deck as you re-assemble.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Moved to Tractors and Mowers forum.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

Hello again, I got my deck on, but I can't get that spring on from the deck to the back of frame of the mower. Looks like I need to stretch a good 6 inches. Any ideas how to get that on? I've raised and lowered the deck to see if that would help.

I did buy the correct belt for it also. Found it for 13 bucks. I have the belt on, but the front pulley. the one that drives the pulley system. There are two long bolts on the left and right side of that pulley. I am not sure why they are there, since one of them is rubbing on the belt.

Once I get the spring on and the bolt to stop rubbing on the belt I should be good to go to test this thing out.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Got the spring and belt on. Took me awhile, put the spring on first then the belt. Not sure if thats the way its done but its they way I got it on.

After I got the deck back on I was gonna push it out of the way so I could get my car in the garage. Damn back tires are locked on it now. Had to push it over with the rear tires dragging. Luckily its a light mower.

Any ideas why the rear tires would lock up? As I pushed it one tire look like it was going forward, and the other was going in reverse. Putting the belt on should have anything to do with the tires would it? I don't think so.

This happened when i was getting it off the trailer, the tires were locked so I hopped in the seat to give it some weight. As soon as I did that it the gears let loose and I went flying down the ramp into my garage. Luckily I opened the garage door otherwise I'd have bigger issues.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #9

One wheel going one way and the other going the other way with the weight off of them would be typical. Is there a parking brake that is set or hung up? Gear shiff or hyrostatic? If gear, it obviously needs to be in neutral when pushed. If hydro, there may be a lever, bracket, or something that pushes down on a set of poppets, to put it in free wheel mode; ones that I am familiar with have been located on top of the transaxle, in a rather obscure place, such as under the seat, as they are not part of typical daily operation.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #10

This mower uses a Gear Shifter. When I pushed it, it was in Neutral. And the parking brake was off. Doesn't mean it couldn't be stuck in Forward or Reverse. Or the brake stuck on. It felt more like a gear stuck than the brake stuck on tho. Not that I can tell.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #11

Anyone know if putting on the deck and V-belt would have anything to do with the rear tires locking up? I'm getting tired of this old mower already.