Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

New Generator wont start

I bought a little generator for camping(2 stroke, 40:1 mix), it has maybe 20 hours run time on it.
Last summer I was using it, it was running like a charm until my brother suggested that when I shout it down, I should just turn the gas line off and let the motor run out on its own instead of just shutting it off and turning the gas line off. He says thats how they do it at work.
Later that day I tried firing it up again but it would not start.
I pulled the spark plug off and poured a little gas into the chamber, it fires right up for about 5 seconds so I know the motor & and plug is fine. Repeated this 7-10 times then gave up.

Spring is upon us again so I should figure this out before camping season starts.

Any ideas why the fuel is not going to the motor?
Thanx for any advice in advance

Last edited by P Marage; 04-07-2013 at 06:32 PM.
P Marage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

New Generator wont start

Did you open up the valve to allow the gas to flow?
Did you dump out the old gas before trying to start it?
Have you removed the bowl on the bottom of the carberator and lifted up the float bowl to see if the gas starts and stops?
Most of the times the carb. is trashed up if your using gas with ethenal in it.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #3

New Generator wont start

low oil cutoff? check manual
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #4

New Generator wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Marage View Post
I bought a little generator for camping(2 stroke, 40:1 mix), it has maybe 20 hours run time on it.
Last summer I was using it, it was running like a charm until my brother suggested that when I shout it down, I should just turn the gas line off and let the motor run out on its own instead of just shutting it off and turning the gas line off. He says thats how they do it at work.
Later that day I tried firing it up again but it would not start.
I pulled the spark plug off and poured a little gas into the chamber, it fires right up for about 5 seconds so I know the motor & and plug is fine. Repeated this 7-10 times then gave up.

Spring is upon us again so I should figure this out before camping season starts.

Any ideas why the fuel is not going to the motor?
Thanx for any advice in advance

Don't shut it down like that! I did that and had to get a new head from the vendor. It wore an oblong hole in the aluminum head.