Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

My Echo weedwhip stops running after 2 minutes of use.

I have an old Echo weed whip. Model#GT-2101. It has been in storage for 1-2 years. I just bought a house and finally have a chance to use it. I bought fresh "regular" gas and mixed up a 1 gallon mixure with an old unopened echo 2-stroke fuel mixture. Pulled the cord about a dozen times with the choke closed and wasn't having any luck. So did a quick burst of engine starter fluid into the carburetor, pulled and I was off an running. I went for about... 8 to 10 minutes before it started to stutter and cut out. I figured I might have had a little water in the gas can before I mixed the fuel. So i put a small amount of dry-gas into my mix, but that didn't solve the problem.

What is the next step? Clean air filter? New spark plug? Clean carburetor? Buy premium gas and start with a fresh fuel mixture?

nowwhatnapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #2

Try something simple first. Check to see if when it starts messing up if loosing the gas cap helps.
If the gas cap vent gets pluged up there's enough air in the tank at first, once it draws a vacuum it will die as if it's running out of gas.
I would think if it was water in the carberator it would not run at all.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Ahh, yes I forgot about that. I'll give it a shot tonight if the rain stops.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #4

No dice on the gas cap. I was even having trouble just getting it to run past warm up phase. I inspected the fuel line and the fuel filter had fallen off the hose. The hose is on its last legs so I bought a new filter and hose. I'll be installing them this weekend and I'll report back.