Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #1

Share |

murray lawnmower

Purchaesd a new Murray 14' push behind lawnmower last year at this time for $192.00. Went to start yesterday, it will start then cuts out after about 7 seconds-did it three times then left it alone--any ideas??

Corvette7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #2

murray lawnmower

Did you leave the old gas in the tank from last year?
That ethenal gas is horrible on small engines, it tends to gum up, causes metal parts to corroded, hardens up hoses, gaskets and absorbs water.

Most of the time I've found the carberators going to need to come apart and be cleaned.

Some ways to prevent this problum is to use nonethenal fuel, add an additive to counter acts the effects of the ethenal, use Sta-Bil in the fuel.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?...izer&FORM=HURE

And at the end of the year run all the fuel out of the tank.

Corvette7 (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
bbo

murray lawnmower

fyi, not sure of your area, but in my area, the premium gas contains no ethanol. the other grades may contain as much as 10%.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #4

murray lawnmower

Should have emptied the tank, which I have done in the past, but didn't. Added Sta-Bil though in November-will get it figured out. Thank You for the reply back.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

murray lawnmower

Thanks also bbo for your reply, did not use premum gas, added Sta-Bil, will get it figured out.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Roofmaster

murray lawnmower

Remove tank and hose to carb. Dump old fuel. Remove float bowl on bottom of carb. Nut underneath. Dont lose friction washer on jet nozzle or bowl gasket. Dump Fuel. Spray carb cleaner up into jet in middle of carb with bowl off, and clean gum out of bowl with carb cleaner. (Wear safety glasses) Replace fuel line. Re-install fuel tank, pour in a few ounces of Seafoam fill with fresh gas. Let sit a bit, start mower, and cut grass.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #7

murray lawnmower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette7
Thanks also bbo for your reply, did not use premum gas, added Sta-Bil, will get it figured out.
Last summer my lawn mower wouldn't start at the beginning of the season, even though I ran it dry at the end of the season. I took off the air cleaner and simply sprayed some starter fluid in the intake, then yanked once or twice and it started right up.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

murray lawnmower

I have to use sta-bil in the gas for anything with a B&S motor. I also have to change the plugs every other year in my Bolens push mower, in addition to flushing out the carb with a good shot of Gumout.

You can thank the counterfeit "green" lobby, which is in the pocket of the ethanol industry, for getting government to force the use of ethanol over MTBE. The oil industry doesn't mind, because now they sell more products like Sta-bil that are based on oil by-products to fix the problems caused by ethanol.

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to operagost For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (05-29-2013)