Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

A few questions about gas for mowers and trimmers. I had trimmer problems at the end of last season and research indicates that use of old gas was the cause. (One 5-gallon gas can will last all season - but I am finding out that is not a good idea.) So I cleaned everything out and I am hoping it will work OK again. But I have some questions moving forward.

1. The trimmer uses a 40:1 oil mix. Can I add something to it to keep the trimmer engine clean? Will that allow me use old gas?

2. I read that "stale" gas/oil mix can be used up by mixing with regular gas in my mower. Is that true and is it safe? If so, what is a good ratio?

3. When cleaning out the trimmer carburetor, I detached the tubes leading from it to the gas tank, but - oops - I forgot to note which was which. I reattached them from memory but I want to be sure. Does the tube coming from the primer area of the carburetor go to the top of the gas tank or to the bottom where the gas intake cylinder-shaped filter is attached? (Sorry for not knowing the proper terminology.)

Thanks!

Advertisement

Steveromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

No one here knows what trimmer you have.
Only mix 1, gal.at a time.
Dump the old right in your car or truck. Been doing it for 40 years and never had an issue.
Try to find a place that sells nonethanol fuel, or at least add a fuel additive that counter acts the effect of it.
And no it's not the red Stabil.
Any auto parts store, Wal-Mart, local power equipment shop will have it.
There no use trying to "fix" old gas.

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 788

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

Don't leave any fuel sitting in the trimmer or mower over winter.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

Only mix one gallon of gas at a time. 5 gallons is too much. I'd recommend using 91-92 octane gas.

As long as you've got the lines off, spray the heck out of the carb (inside and out) with carb cleaner.

To re-attach the lines, determine which is the main, and which is the return line. Then go online and look up information/diagrams regarding that specific trimmer. It'll take a little digging, but you'll find the right information.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,504

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

Put a bit of Sea Foam in it and run it through the gas system. That will clean any Varnish & crud out of the fuel & carburetor.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (05-27-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

Gas and battery operated lawnmower which one better?
boschhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 672

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

Really should be adding your own post not hijacking someone else's bosch.
When you add your own add how big a yard your trying to mow.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 266

Mower/Trimmer Gas Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Put a bit of Sea Foam in it and run it through the gas system. That will clean any Varnish & crud out of the fuel & carburetor.
Great advice. I've had a problem with my mower for years. At idle it would constantly surge high and low rpms. Also had a tendency to bog down occasionally. I added some SeaFoam to the gas tank and cut the grass and noticed no change. Then a week later I cut the grass again and the surging was gone. It now idles steady as a rock and seems like a new engine.

Advertisement

Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote