Mower Problems - Tractors & Mowers - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Tractors & Mowers

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

mower problems

Have a 4 year old Honda HRX 217 mower. New plug and air filter. Starts fine, surges on fast with no load (blade). Will not idle down. Does not run as fast as last year. Any easy fixes out there?

John d williams.

Advertisement

john d williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,212

mower problems

Is it using last year's gas? If so, try replacing it with fresh. The other possibility is that the carburetor is gummed up. It's an easy fix (if you know how to do it). Small engine carbs have few moving parts, so they're pretty simple to take apart, clean up, and reassemble. I've always done it myself, so have no idea what a mower shop would charge.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 780

mower problems

I get about 5 years of trouble free operation out of my equipment then have to replace the diaphram in the carbarator because it gets too stiff from the ethanol.
user1007 (05-29-2013), Windows on Wash (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,258

mower problems

+1

Ethanol is destroying carburetors left and right.

I would pull the carburetor and put a rebuild kit in it.

In addition to that, get some ethanol fuel treatment.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

mower problems

Ethanol is the greatest boondoggle we as tax payers ever signed up for. If we wanted it we could buy and import the raw material offshore and we could use the subsidy money for farms to grow something we could eat without post processing.

Anyhow, I bet your problem is derived from trying to run ethanol in a small engine. And if you let it sit during the none growing season it ate away at most non metal parts in your system. The engine may be fine but all gaskets, tubing and all are suspect.

Mariners never bought into this Ethanol is good argument. I am a sailor and can parallel park a 35 foot footer. I do not need fuel often until stuck in the duldrums. Nothing with ethanol has ever touched a boat I sailed.

You can get a seasons worth of lawnmower, ethanol free gas at a boat fuel station. You can also buy ethanol free gas in quart cans but it is expensive. As expensive as having to scrap and landfill your mower? Only you can decide. I think tearing your mower down and finding out what ethanol ate is in your future.

A friend farms acres and acres of corn in Iowa and knows the subsidies to grow crops we do not want or cannot eat are insane. He keeps his sanity rebuilding small engines destroyed by ethanol. Would he ever, even staring at the corn plants he grows for the ethanol industry put it in a small engine of his.

He just

Last edited by user1007; 05-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

mower problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by john d williams View Post
Have a 4 year old Honda HRX 217 mower. New plug and air filter. Starts fine, surges on fast with no load (blade). Will not idle down. Does not run as fast as last year. Any easy fixes out there?

John d williams.
Having waxed on. I was PMT for Sears for a time. I got to do almost nothing but make mowers work again. 90 percent of the time, I could fix problems pulling the spark plug and gapping it to engine specs.

This is going to sound too simple but did you check the spark gap on the new spark plug? They don't always come out of the box properly gapped.

If you do not have spark plug blades, walk into a Sears store, no matter wether you bought the machine there. Ask the PMT to be called. Someone like I was will be summoned to help you and your spark plug.

Check it and some of your problems may go away and your machine will humm again. If not, 4-year old machine used a lot? I do not know how you will break the news to her. But start with,

"Honey I think I am pregnant and a new Honda lawnmower may have to be in our future!"

And do keep ethanol out of it if you can. If she needs convincing? Buy her a bottle of decent alcohol. "Kinky" comes in a nice bottle and is vodka, mango, blood orange and passion fruit. Sounds almost too overboard for me but chilled in the freezer, nice martini glasses. You might get more than a new mower.

Just trying to help.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-29-2013 at 01:08 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote